Vancouver

Not sure what thread/forum this question needs to be asked on so here goes.

I need information on the city of Vancouver. My son is thinking about moving there and I figure the CC members are the best in giving me honest answers.

Is it a safe city? Mostly French or English? Friendly? Rainy, cold, humid? American money vs Canadian money? Anything anybody knows would be welcome. Thanks CC members!

15_9_15.gif

My friend lived on the outskirts of Vancouver for 10 years. We visited her each year and absolutely fell in love with Vancouver and her surrounding towns.

English is spoken and the people are very friendly. We found it safe, as safe as a big city can be.

Is it a safe city? Mostly French or English? Friendly? Rainy, cold, humid? American money vs Canadian money? Anything anybody knows would be welcome. Thanks CC members!

1. Safer than most I would say

2. French is non-existent. English Majority

3.We pride ourselves on being friendly . Very diverse population

4.We are in the bucket as far as the $$ goes. American money worth roughly 15% more.

5.Huge tourism with Water sports skiing and great theater.

I need information on the city of Vancouver. My son is thinking about moving there and I figure the CC members are the best in giving me honest answers.

15_9_15.gif

We moved out of the area ten years ago because of cost, small house now $500,000., traffic, and I hate to say it, but an Anglo-American is now a 'visible minority'. It is a very clean city, no safer than any other city,the climate is similar to Seattle, but a tad dryer.

Having given you the bad points, Vancouver is rated # 2 or 3 as the most livable city in the world, it served me very well when until I retired [early], and visitors rave about it.

We are very happy in a small city called Vernon, five hours from Vancouver, so happy in fact that I marval that I would never have the time to work here. My son made enough in real estate in eight years, that he 'retired' to the Sunshine Coast, about three hours average tavel time,[ferry 40 minutes], out of Vancouver. john

I've lived in Vancouver for more than 10 years, and every time I come home I'm thankful that I live in such a wonderful city. In my opinion, it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

It is a very safe and very clean city. There are of course a few neighbourhoods where you won't walk alone at night, but that's true of any city of nearly 2M people.

English is universally spoken. Other languages you'll encounter are Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, Hindi, German, French etc. It is a very multi-cultural city! With the most restaurants-per capita, you can try a different kind of food every day and never go bored!

I think that the people are very friendly and welcoming. Canadians as a whole are very down-to-earth. Canadian money is used here, we're not part of the US (yet!). US money is accepted in some tourist areas / gas stations near the border, but if you're living here you'll use the CDN dollar.

Weather is very moderate. It can get warm in the summer usually with a few weeks over 90F, but it rarely goes over 100F (we use Celcius, though!). In the winter, it rains quite a bit, but our lawns and trees are green year round! We get less rain than Seattle. It is only below freezing for a few weeks a year, and we usually get a tiny bit of snow, but it never stays around for more than a few days.

I love Vancouver - it is so green and inviting. Where else can you ski in the morning in one of the world's best ski resorts (Whistler), and be on the beach in the afternoon. Having an active lifestyle is big here, we have a great abundance of skiing, hiking, mountain biking, sailing, kayaking, etc. We will be having the Winter Olympics here in 2010.

I've lived in Vancouver for more than 10 years, and every time I come home I'm thankful that I live in such a wonderful city. In my opinion, it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

It is a very safe and very clean city. There are of course a few neighbourhoods where you won't walk alone at night, but that's true of any city of nearly 2M people.

English is universally spoken. Other languages you'll encounter are Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, Hindi, German, French etc. It is a very multi-cultural city! With the most restaurants-per capita, you can try a different kind of food every day and never go bored!

I think that the people are very friendly and welcoming. Canadians as a whole are very down-to-earth. Canadian money is used here, we're not part of the US (yet!). US money is accepted in some tourist areas / gas stations near the border, but if you're living here you'll use the CDN dollar.

Weather is very moderate. It can get warm in the summer usually with a few weeks over 90F, but it rarely goes over 100F (we use Celcius, though!). In the winter, it rains quite a bit, but our lawns and trees are green year round! We get less rain than Seattle. It is only below freezing for a few weeks a year, and we usually get a tiny bit of snow, but it never stays around for more than a few days.

I love Vancouver - it is so green and inviting. Where else can you ski in the morning in one of the world's best ski resorts (Whistler), and be on the beach in the afternoon. Having an active lifestyle is big here, we have a great abundance of skiing, hiking, mountain biking, sailing, kayaking, etc. We will be having the Winter Olympics here in 2010.

.. and your son probably knows this and will do that rolling eyes thing if you tell him, but just in case he doesn't.... he can't just up and move to Vancouver if he's not a Canadian citizen, he has to go through immigration formalities to either 1. apply for permanent residency or 2. apply for a temporary work permit. As a visitor, he won't be able to get a health card or work in Canada without one of these.

Here's the link to the Government of Canada website for non-Canadians who want to come to Canada:

http://canadainternational.gc.ca/gtc/Going_To_Canada-en.aspx

I'll be visiting Vancouver for the first time myself next summer.

Good luck!

Why not ask on the BC forum at the Queen Mother Board? There are alot of chapters in Vancouver!

I grew up in Vancouver and love it. Like any big city it has its problems and bad areas. I have never been mugged or attacked and have walked through some pretty seedy places. We speak English-French is not required. Although there is a large French Canadian population and some great places to eat.

WE refer to living there as living on "The Wet Coast" so that gives you an idea of the rain.

If he moves here he will have to use Canadian Money. If he resides here he can apply for the BC Health Care.

just a question for ya..are you from manitoba?is that what your MB stands for?We are originally from Winnipeg and are now living Alberta( unfortunately,really miss MB)

Archived