Lightroom 6 question

wmjivey

I am thinking of subscription to the Lightroom/Photoshop plan but have a question can I download itmto my main computer and my Laptop. I travel with me Laptop and like to do somethings onsite instead of waiting to do it all once I get home.

John

The photographer subscription package actually explicitly allows you to install it on two computers, on a per-program basis. In my case, I installed Lightroom CC on our laptop and my wife's mac, plus I was able to install Photoshop CC on my mac (which already had a traditionally-licensed copy of Lightroom CC).

Thanks guys now I need to decide on whether to buy a year subscription from B&H to get another free photo program ON1 Effects 10, why I would need another program I don't know but its FREE!!!! this is why my wife won't let me watch late night commercials

John

Lightroom is amazing, provided you shoot raw. Totally worth the cost.

RAW or JPEG, it doesn't matter. Lightroom uses the same set of tools on both and provides excellent results. (Ok, you still need a good subject, composition and enough light.) Gone are the days of RAW as the holy grail of image quality.

With options like in-camera HDR, sweep panorama and multi-frame noise reduction, sometimes RAW isn't the best option.

Dave

RAW or JPEG, it doesn't matter. Lightroom uses the same set of tools on both and provides excellent results. (Ok, you still need a good subject, composition and enough light.) Gone are the days of RAW as the holy grail of image quality.

Not exactly. White balance correction to a specific reference point isn't possible with JPEG - you'd have to make sure all of the JPEGs were shot in the same non-auto WB setting for a batch-paste-settings to be good vs. bad. Lens profile corrections aren't available in JPEG. Etc.

Not exactly. White balance correction to a specific reference point isn't possible with JPEG - you'd have to make sure all of the JPEGs were shot in the same non-auto WB setting for a batch-paste-settings to be good vs. bad. Lens profile corrections aren't available in JPEG. Etc.

White balance can't be corrected to the extent in JPEG as it can in RAW but extensive correction is possible.

p249995760.jpg

p125200215-4.jpg

I shoot Sony, so profile corrections are applied to the in-camera JPEG but you can create custom profiles in Lightroom or manually tweak an image then copy the settings.

RAW is a good tool but it's not the only one!

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail! ;)

Dave

White balance can't be corrected to the extent in JPEG as it can in RAW but extensive correction is possible.

I shoot Sony, so profile corrections are applied to the in-camera JPEG but you can create custom profiles in Lightroom or manually tweak an image then copy the settings.

RAW is a good tool but it's not the only one!

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail! ;)

I think you missed my point(s). Take 100 RAW pictures shot in the same light but with varied WB settings. Correct the WB in one shot, copy that setting, paste it to the other 99, voila! Correct WB for 100 shots. Take 100 JPEG pictures shot in the same light but with varied WB settings. Correct the WB in one shot, copy that setting, paste it to the other 99, wah wah wah, WB is as far all over the map as it was before the bulk correction attempt.

I shoot Canon. For the lower-end cameras without Distortion and Vignetting correction in-camera, JPEGs can't receive these fixes in post via Lightroom. Yes, you may have the functionality in your camera, good for you.

Apparently when one is a JPEG fanboy, every RAW discussion is a nail that needs to be hit with your hammer. Yeah, I get it, RAW isn't always necessary. I don't use RAW when I'm on deadline. Life goes on.

Apparently when one is a JPEG fanboy, every RAW discussion is a nail that needs to be hit with your hammer. Yeah, I get it, RAW isn't always necessary. I don't use RAW when I'm on deadline. Life goes on.

Geez, Peety! Don't take it personally. You seem to have missed my point (it's opposite the flat end of the nail! ;) )

I pop in and make the RAW vs. JPEG point whenever a "must use RAW" statement is used where it may be misconstrued as true in every situation by someone newer to photography. I use RAW and I use JPEG and forty-plus years of shooting lets me decide when each is best. A neophyte may take RAW fanboyism as gospel, shoot a bunch of shots that "don't look so good" because of a lack of proper processing and become discouraged. Shooting out-of-camera while you are learning all the ins and outs of everything else is one less tripping point on the way to becoming a Happy Shooter!

Happy Shooting!

Dave

At the risk of jumping in here, I will start with telling you I'm a neophyte, "auto" setting, amateur travel photographer who is brand new to Lightroom. I'm starting to play around with settings on my camera though and doing a bit of "post processing." I have a Sony camera DSX HX 300 (fixed lens) which is only 6 months old, and I've just found out it ONLY takes Jpegs, so I'm stuck with Jpegs. When I go into Lightroom, can you tell me how (or if) I can set the camera/lens specific settings? What are my limitations in Lightroom? Any limitations in Photoshop? (I also just paid for a year's subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud.) Any info would be great.

At the risk of jumping in here, I will start with telling you I'm a neophyte, "auto" setting, amateur travel photographer who is brand new to Lightroom. I'm starting to play around with settings on my camera though and doing a bit of "post processing." I have a Sony camera DSX HX 300 (fixed lens) which is only 6 months old, and I've just found out it ONLY takes Jpegs, so I'm stuck with Jpegs. When I go into Lightroom, can you tell me how (or if) I can set the camera/lens specific settings? What are my limitations in Lightroom? Any limitations in Photoshop? (I also just paid for a year's subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud.) Any info would be great.

Make your common adjustments such as exposure, clarity, noise reduction and whatever else you ALWAYS (or almost always) have to do to each picture. In the Develop mode with the adjusted image still selected, go to the top menu and choose Develop>New Preset, Name your preset and Click Create to save it under User Presets. When you import in the Library mode, on the right side menu, choose Apply During Import>Develop settings dropdown and choose your named preset from the list. Those settings will be applied to all the selected images as they are imported. The settings are applied like any other adjustment, so if you want to change or start over on a problem image after import, you can just click Reset in Develop mode and start over. You can also make as many presets as you want and save them to do one-click updates to one or several images in your library as needed.

Dave

Thanks Dave - I'm going to have to study your reply some! There is so much to learn. I'm still figuring out what the difference is between a catalogue, a folder and a collection. Think I have that down now and have saved a few pis in Lightroom. But boy is this software complicated when you first get going.

I didn't realize when I bought this (what I consider to be an expensive) Sony camera, that I could only shoot JPEG. This little nugget is buried way deep in the fine print. Not even mentioned in the user manual that came with the camera. It should have been a bright red warning label IMO. I have the feeling I won't be able to do as much in Lightroom and Photoshop as I'd like to. But I'll keep persevering and for sure make sure the next camera shoots in Raw.

Thanks for your reply!

I use all of the Lightroom and Photoshop potential when editing JPG photographs by first converting them to DNG files as follows:

In the Library Module, select the photos to be converted. Go to the Library Menu -> Convert to DNG. When the Conversion window opens, uncheck "only convert RAW files, choose JPEG Preview "Medium Size", leave other boxes unchecked, and click OK. Files will be converted to DNG and ready for the full gamut of enhancement techniques.

In the Library Module, "Export" for saving the enhanced photographs in any format that you wish. FWIW the instructor in my photo archiving class recommends PSD, TIFF, or DNG to avoid pixel deterioration as JPG files are prone to do.

FWIW you will probably have to Google and download a free file to allow DNG thumbnail files to be viewed by your computer.

I use all of the Lightroom and Photoshop potential when editing JPG photographs by first converting them to DNG files

Just a note. Lightroom 6 and CC doesn't have an option for converting JPEG to DNG as it allows you to use all of the Sliders in the Develop mode on JPEGs and since it prompts for creating a copy on edit in Photoshop, the functionality is exactly the same without the additional step of conversion. Additionally, Photoshop CC has added an option to use the RAW file tool on any image loaded by choosing Filter > Camera Raw Filter.

I didn't realize when I bought this (what I consider to be an expensive) Sony camera, that I could only shoot JPEG. This little nugget is buried way deep in the fine print. Not even mentioned in the user manual that came with the camera. It should have been a bright red warning label IMO. I have the feeling I won't be able to do as much in Lightroom and Photoshop as I'd like to. But I'll keep persevering and for sure make sure the next camera shoots in Raw.

Thanks for your reply!

Cameras without interchangeable lenses that offer a RAW option are actually in the minority and though you wouldn't know it by reading camera forums, the number of people that use RAW when it is an option are in a much smaller minority. While it is true that RAW offers some additional options for processing a file that needs extreme correction, in practical use you can be confident that your camera will produce excellent images. Lightroom treats any loaded image the same and allows for some pretty extreme correction even with a JPEG. JPEG engines in the camera have improved a lot since the dinosaur days of digital and with the changes in the way Lightroom and Photoshop handle images (barring the exception of extreme situations like bad exposure or extremely high ISO) RAW and JPEG can give you virtually identical results.

Don't sweat the little things. If you want to know how to do something, ask here or even better, Google one of the bazillion YouTube tutorials out there.

Most importantly...have fun with your camera!

Dave

Thanks Dave - I'm going to have to study your reply some! There is so much to learn. I'm still figuring out what the difference is between a catalogue, a folder and a collection. Think I have that down now and have saved a few pis in Lightroom. But boy is this software complicated when you first get going.

Thanks for your reply!

I would guess 95% of camera owners don't even know what raw is. It is really only used by enthusiasts and pros (and not all enthusiasts and pros).

And unless you have a pretty good idea of how to post process, many people will get better results from just using jpegs out of the camera, just as many people will get better results on auto settings then trying to fiddle with manual settings.

But things to look for in an enthusiast level camera, a camera that lets a photographer develop, learn and grow--- features not usually in the bold print of a camera listing:

- Raw shooting

- Access to manual controls -- PASM

-Maximim aperture of 2.8 or better

- Sensor size of 1/1.7 or bigger.