Which is more formal?

peaches80

I respect all your opinions and have a question. I am going on a 7 night cruise on Princess with 2 formal nights. I am planning on wearing a black short dress with sequins and a keyhole back for one night and a long black A-line gown, off the shoulder but plain for the other night. My problem is I don't know which one would be considered more formal as it seems that the first formal night is the more formal of the two. Which dress for which night? Thanks so much for any input!

Hi peaches,

What is the material that the longer dress is made of? If it is satin or silk, I'd say that it would be more formal. If it's something with no sheen, like a crepe, it might be a toss-up as to which I'd consider more formal without seeing in person.

Did Princess tell that the first formal night was more formal than the second one?

I've never experienced that with Princess and I think that both dresses are just fine in whichever order you prefer to wear them.

Jane

I've never known any cruiseline who states one formal night is more or less formal than the other. I think it just comes from the fact that many women don't want to pack two long dresses, so it has become a myth. You will see everything from Sunday best to ballgowns on formal nights, so I'll have to agree with Jane, it really doesn't matter which night you wear either dress.

I would probably dress up the plain, long dress with some sparkly jewelry.

Have a wonderful cruise.

The rule of thumb for dresses on a cruise is to wear your tightest one the first formal night and your loosest one the last formal night. By the last formal night, you might not be able to get into the tighter one.

LOL Karen...never quite thought of it that way!!! Enjoy your next transatlantic crossing and keep dancing!

But for peaches80...perhaps you were thinking of the formal night when the captain and his crew host the 'cocktail party' and are on hand for pictures with the guests...some cruisers do think of that as 'the more formal' of the formal nights. And that evening is when IMO you see more tux on the gents and the ladies in gowns and some serious bling!

Happy sailing!!

George...I think I may have found out why your 'smilies, etc' weren't working. When you go into your 'reply to thread'...look up in the upper right hand corner above the smilies. There is a box with 2 'A's' in it. When I clicked it on..the smilies didn't work and the fonts were different. Click back and it worked again..:D It's some sort of switch Editor Mode !?!?!?

Archived