Roatan

scgirlie

Don't know about that but there is a great beach within walking distance from the ship. AND don't get suckered into a tour by a guide who isn't allowed into the port area. You'll have to walk close to a mile each way t find him and return. (up and down hills) We got a great tour by hiring a taxi and with generous tip it was $100 for 2+ hours.

Don't know about that but there is a great beach within walking distance from the ship. AND don't get suckered into a tour by a guide who isn't allowed into the port area. You'll have to walk close to a mile each way t find him and return. (up and down hills) We got a great tour by hiring a taxi and with generous tip it was $100 for 2+ hours.

You can easily book a tour with a local tour company and NOT have to walk up and down the hill.

You can get a taxi at the port for $2 pp who will take you to the local vendors over the hill. On your return, the local vendor is able to bring you into the port. Done it twice, most recently last month. :)

Edited by tandemcruzr

You can easily book a tour with a local tour company and NOT have to walk up and down the hill.

You can get a taxi at the port for $2 pp who will take you to the local vendors over the hill. On your return, the local vendor is able to bring you into the port. Done it twice, most recently last month. :)

Here's my story. I walked to the local tour area where the guide was supposed to meet me. He wasn't there and when I asked about him, some guy called him on the phone and when I talked to him he said he got hung up in traffic and to go ahead and go with his pal. (traffic on the island?) Anyway i had 4 seniors waiting back at the pier area. I walked back and got a cab and paid the same. I wonder about the cab being allowed back in the restricted area. When I asked at the checkpoint they told me NO.

Here's my story. I walked to the local tour area where the guide was supposed to meet me. He wasn't there and when I asked about him, some guy called him on the phone and when I talked to him he said he got hung up in traffic and to go ahead and go with his pal. (traffic on the island?) Anyway i had 4 seniors waiting back at the pier area. I walked back and got a cab and paid the same. I wonder about the cab being allowed back in the restricted area. When I asked at the checkpoint they told me NO.

Like I said, this past November the Little French Key driver was able to enter the port and let us out. On an earlier excursion booked with a local company, we did the $2 pp cab ride over the hill and the local tour driver also entered the port so we had no walking up or down any hill. :)

When you book a private tour, the drivers are not allowed into the port area for pick up. You have to walk out of the port area and up and over the hill (or take one of the cabs inside the port area over the hill for $2). They ARE allowed in upon return and can pull right up to the port. It is like this in A LOT of ports. They are not allowed within the gates, but can drop off within the gates. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Everybody keeps talking about going up and down some hills to get to the vendors. Is it really that big of a deal? My family has booked LFK for our upcoming cruise and we're supposed to find the drivers over that hill. Is there some reason we should pay the $2 per person to take us to them?

Everybody keeps talking about going up and down some hills to get to the vendors. Is it really that big of a deal? My family has booked LFK for our upcoming cruise and we're supposed to find the drivers over that hill. Is there some reason we should pay the $2 per person to take us to them?

In April we hired a local company and walked up the hill. We are 55 and 60 and had no problem walking there. There is a nice sign to stop and take your picture at. The vendors are very honest and just tell them the company your looking for and they will holler for them. The vendor we used said the port had promised everyone would be allowed inside but that didn't happen. Yes, they will drop you off at the end of your tour. There is shopping at the pier and a nice beach. We shopped but didn't go to the beach. We plan to go there next time. If you want to buy coffee or vanilla ask your tour guide to take you to a local grocery store. The grocery store we visited was very modern and had local coffee and vanilla at a much cheaper price than at the pier.

Edited by 1stimecruiser

The hill is not that big of a deal unless you might have mobility issues. (I assume you are going to be docked at Carnival's Mahogany Bay since that's where the "hill" is. Otherwise, the other cruise port does not have a hill or much walking to get outside the port).

Here's a picture I found years ago showing the hill and the vendors waiting down there. They are all friendly and all you have to do is tell any of them who you are looking for and they'll point you in the right direction.

9698494164_eec9959dd0_c-M.jpg

What is the $2 charge you mentioned? Can you pay to be dropped offeherr the tours. Are?

What is the $2 charge you mentioned? Can you pay to be dropped offeherr the tours. Are

Sorry. I read to the end of the post and got the answer?