Breakaway Pools

Lowe6

I did not know that. Thanks.

I'll be in the Breakaway next week so I'll be sure to check it out. :D

Salt water pools may or may not be chlorinated. When within 20 miles of shore, salt water pools must be in recirculation mode (water pumped from pool to filtering/chlorination equipment and back to pool), and therefore require chlorination.

When the ship is more than 20 miles from shore, the pool may be on "flow through" mode, where sea water is pumped directly from the sea into the pool continuously, and the overflow goes right back to sea. Since this water is not being recirculated, it does not require chlorination. However, unless the ship has more than one full sea day, they generally elect to remain on recirculation/chlorinated mode. This is because when switching from flow through to recirculation, the pool must be closed until the chlorination level is at the proper level, and this can take a couple of hours. So, to avoid repeated pool closures, on short ocean passages they may stay with recirculation, while on passages over a couple days, they may go to flow through to save on chemicals.