Chankanaab snorkeling specifics

cat maran

We will be in Cozumel and have been to Chankanaab before, but not to snorkel. We will have our own equipment, but are a bit confused about the where and how. We saw a lagoon type area away from the beach - is this for snorkeling? We also saw the area on the beach where you "walk in". Is this where the statues are? Are fins necessary, or would just the mask and water shoes be good? (I've read that getting into the water can be rough on the feet).

Any specific info on the snorkeling would be much appreciated.

To the left of the La Laguna Restaurant is where we snorkeled. The area in front of the Palapas there are different set of stairs that lead you into the water. The water was about waist deep. I was barefoot until the last step, then floated into the water and put on my fins. There was a bit of a wave which caused a bit of a struggle getting back to the stairs. It would float you in when you weren't ready. So getting your fins off, floating against the steps was amusing. Also people were going in at the same time you were trying to get out. The stairs were wide and could be set up for one side enter and the other side exit. Also, once I was floating and putting my fins on, I made sure I got away from the stairs. People would hang out there and cause a traffic jam. Some stairs had hand rails which helped and others were tall steps and no handl rails requiring a bit of balance. My Dad used his water shoes instead of fins. Which turned out much easier for him to get in and out. Although he didn't move as fast as me in the water and worked up more energy so he would have to rest to catch his breath. (Asthma)

This is where the status were too. Double click the map on their link for a larger view. Get there early to get a chair and a Palapa.

Here's a map to show where the statues are located:

IMG_7813-L.jpg

Here's an overview of the area. You can see where the lagoon is located and snorkeling is in the ocean right in front of it.

google-L.jpg

I have 2 reviews that are listed in my signature line from when we were there. There's TONS of pictures of the place and tons of pictures from snorkeling as well. Now I haven't been in a few years and since I was there, they have added more stuff to Chankanaab (like the alligators and the zip lining).

We absolutely love Chankanaab and it's still our favorite place that we have been to in Cozumel. :)

Thank you both, onebzemom and mitsugirly, for the excellent information. Seeing the pictures again got me excited to get going! We will be there the end of February. Five other ships in port that day, but we dock early.

Originally, I thought the lagoon was for snorkeling also, but it seems the area in front of the palapas is where we want to be. I guess the lagoon is for the iguanas!

Thank you both, onebzemom and mitsugirly, for the excellent information. Seeing the pictures again got me excited to get going! We will be there the end of February. Five other ships in port that day, but we dock early.

Originally, I thought the lagoon was for snorkeling also, but it seems the area in front of the palapas is where we want to be. I guess the lagoon is for the iguanas!

You are very welcome. Yep, right in front of the palapas is the snorkeling spot. (You can't go in the lagoon).

IMG_1414-M.jpg

The lagoon seems to be the iguanas "private" swimming hole. :D You will usually find plenty all the way around it sunning.

IMG_1439-M.jpg

Have a GREAT time. I hope to get back there some day myself just to see all the changes they have made since we were there last. :)

I asked this in a separate thread but no one has answered my question, so I will try again here. Is there coral in the snorkeling area at Chankanaab? Fish are nice, but I really want to see coral and if there isn't any here, we will have to go somewhere else. Can someone enlighten me?

I asked this in a separate thread but no one has answered my question, so I will try again here. Is there coral in the snorkeling area at Chankanaab? Fish are nice, but I really want to see coral and if there isn't any here, we will have to go somewhere else. Can someone enlighten me?

Is there coral here? Yes. Is there a lot? Eh, my answer would have to be no, at least not in the area right in front of the steps following along the sandy area above. There's a lot of rocks with things on it. There's more coral if you go along the actual sides (versus right in front).

A few things that I found when snorkeling:

IMG_7879-M.jpg

IMG_7911-M.jpg

IMG_7927-M.jpg

IMG_7953-M.jpg

IMG_7957-M.jpg

IMG_8016-M.jpg