Help what to do in LA for the day

shelby2002

It's a ship - not a boat. I agree with the other poster, perhaps a day room at an airport hotel, one with a pool of course makes the most sense. The larger hotels, i.e. Hilton offer a day rate plan. It rather depends on the ages of the kids and also the time of the year what you ultimately decide on tho. Remember, you are going to have luggage (and probably lots of it), what do you plan on doing with that ? Are you renting a car? Enterprise is the only rental agency at the pier and they do charge a drop off fee to leave car at LAX. Personally I would not leave my luggage in the car at Disneyland, Universal or anyplace else (even locked in the trunk).

You never know what time you will get off the ship and you will need to be at LAX 2 hrs. before flight time. Yes, you will have alot of time to kill inbetween but LA traffic is not alot of fun if you are not used to it so I'd pick and choose my destinations very carefully.

I always recommend the Getty Center. You don't mention the age of your kids, but if they aren't too little, they would enjoy it. It is "close" to the airport and free admission. They charge about $5 for parking. The grounds/gardens are gorgeous (good for picnics and running around to get the wiggles out) and the views of Los Angeles and the ocean are outstanding. There are "family" areas incorporated into some of the art displays with crafts the kids can do, etc.

If you have your luggage, a rental car would probably be your only option. I personally wouldn't worry about locking it in the trunk. IMHO Disneyland and Universal are too far from the airport for someone unfamiliar with the freeway system. You could probably see all of Universal in the time you have, but you would be too rushed at Disneyland. If you want to "shop" and do beachy things, the Santa Monica area has a nice mall and beach and is "close" to the airport. Actually I would be more worried about my luggage in a place like that.:eek: Have fun planning! :D

but you'll need to have a rental car to get around LA with luggage.

I don't know what age your children are, but you can also get a taxi and have them drive you to the Chuck E Cheese in Torrance (2821 Pacific Coast Highway) and just hang out there for a whole afternoon. Then get another taxi to drive you to the airport 30 minutes away along the Pacific Coast Highway. The adults can take turns walking around to a mall around the corner (20 minute walk) where you'll find Kohl's and other stores.

but you'll need to have a rental car to get around LA with luggage.

I don't know what age your children are, but you can also get a taxi and have them drive you to the Chuck E Cheese in Torrance (2821 Pacific Coast Highway) and just hang out there for a whole afternoon. Then get another taxi to drive you to the airport 30 minutes away along the Pacific Coast Highway. The adults can take turns walking around to a mall around the corner (20 minute walk) where you'll find Kohl's and other stores.

Archived