Ship Cannot dock - No Show Penalty Levied!!

Free and Easy

Whilst there are many ports which do not charge any no-show penalty as a result of Ship unable to dock due high winds or bad weather, we now found that a number of Operators which do charge, e.g., Comapa charges 50% penalty for a Puerto Arena City tour, South Excursions charges 30% for a full-day Puerto Montt tour even if Ship is unable to dock. Wonder whether this is a standard practice for these ports or just these tour operators?? If anyone has used a good operator in Puerto Arena, Ushuaia, or Puerto Montt with nil penalty for no-show due Ship unable to dock, please do advise. Many thanks!

There are tour companies that require a non refundable deposit in advance. I personally do not like to do business with companies like that WHEN we are talking about a port that is known to be "problematic" - i.e. common that ships have to skip to due winds/weather.

For ports such as these, I usually will opt for a ship's tour/excursion. I always get my money back on those, if they are cancelled due to not being able to dock/tender in.

If you bought travel insurance, you may very well be able to recover your lost $$ by filing a claim. Check your policy to see if something like this is covered.

I'm sorry for your troubles! Hope it doesn't spoil/dampen the enjoyment of the rest of your cruise.

You might try Cruising Excursions (cruisingexcursions dot com). I have used them twice, albeit in Europe and not yet in the ports you mention. I was generally pleased with their tours, and their policy is complete refund when the ship does not get to port. I have booked with them in Puerto Madryn on an upcoming cruise for that reason. I refuse to book with operators that want advance payment yet do not guarantee refunds for skipped ports.

Dear Scluvsrain and Shorefolks, thank you for your response. Yes indeed in our previous European cruises we have never encountered an operator wanting to charge no-show penalty even if Ship cannot dock. It appears that this is something only some South American tour operators do :(.