Discovery - Extra Sea Day

Just noticed on the Thomson website the two week cruise I am on in June (Cosmopolitan Classics/Highlights of the Med.), now has an extra sea day with the port of Spezia no longer featuring. Anyone know of the reason for this?

After a quick check the extra sea day appears to apply only to the Discovery routes.

:confused:

Thanks alli234 - I have checked on Facebook and as you point out looks like another port, Marina Di Carrera, has been substituted for La Spezia. We visited La Spezia in June this year, therefore the change does not cause us any undue problems. Having said that, it would have been reasonable to expect Thomson to have advised us of the change. In June we did the Cinque Terre trip from La Spezia. Be interesting to see what excursions may be on offer from the new port.

I booked the Discovery Med. secrets earlier in the year on Discovery, and looking at the Thomson booking website for this cruise, La Spezia has now been taken out with no alternative and it shows 2 sea days. I am very disappointed as I have been on many Thomson cruises and choose them for their ports of call. 2 sea days on a 7 day cruise is obviously a cost cutting exercise and I have sent a strongly worded email to Thomson asking if I will be getting any compensation ?

I booked the Discovery Med. secrets earlier in the year on Discovery, and looking at the Thomson booking website for this cruise, La Spezia has now been taken out with no alternative and it shows 2 sea days. I am very disappointed as I have been on many Thomson cruises and choose them for their ports of call. 2 sea days on a 7 day cruise is obviously a cost cutting exercise and I have sent a strongly worded email to Thomson asking if I will be getting any compensation ?

Didn't someone say they're stopping at la marina ... or something like that ?

I messaged the FB team and they have confirmed that it is an extra sea day. Don't know how we stand on this as our booking clearly states La Spezia on day 5, and as others have said, no information from Thomsons. I will be popping into TA next week!

You need it from the horses mouth really.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It's not much help but I think you will find, in the small print, that they can alter a POC or cancel, but I do hope you receive a resolution😕

That's a given, the fine detail will allow cruise lines to deviate from a PoC for operational reasons etc.

However Thomsons should do the decent thing and explain why La Spezia is being dropped.

It is a major Italian Navy / NATO base - not sure if that's relevant or not ?

I am on the same 14 night cruise on 23rd July and we too now seem to have 2 sea days in the second week.

So far I have worked out:

In the April 2015 edition of the Thomson Cruise brochure and on the on-line cruise excursion booking site (on 30th Dec), it says that on Day 12 the ship will be stopping at La Spezia.

On my confirmation/invoice (I only booked on 26th Dec) and in the December 2015 edition of the Thomson Cruise Brochure, it says that the ship will be stopping at Marina di Carrara on Day 12.

But,on line on the cruise booking site it says on Day 12 the ship is at sea.

I emailed Thomson yesterday and the reply I got today was to take a look at the excursion site and that gives the latest info. But I do not think the person who emailed me knows what they are taking about.

I am totally confused- so If anyone finds out more info please post it on this site. I am gutted at the change and feel that Thomson should contact us all.

Hi Gill yes a big squiffy but understandable with just a couple of weeks to go before that lovely sunshine & beaches. Happy new year everyone

That reminds me, must get another case, perhaps a bit bigger than the last one. Need something to check in don't I.

Where this thread started, we have had port changes, but I am now at the stage where I just love cruising. It would be helpful if they would all sing from the same hymn sheet so to speak though, and even better, let the customer know of any changes before sailing. We have had a letter on the bed in the cabin when getting on Board to tell us of a port change before, but have not let it spoil our cruise. 16 nights!!!!!! Bring it on.

I just dug out the April edition of the Thomson cruise brochure, November 2015 - October 2016 and the itinerary for "Cosmopolitan Classics" on page 41 clearly lists La Spezia on day 5, 09:00-19:00.

The relevant current Thomsons webpage states day 5 at sea, no mention of Marina di Carrara.

If you have paperwork indicating Marina di Carrara as a PoC I would be asking Thomson for an explanation as to the conflicting information.

We have visited Marina di Carrara, during a package holiday stay - 'er indoors was keen to acquire some of the famous marble.

Took us ages, and plenty of asking around, to find a place to buy some - but that's another story.

The town was nice enough, but nothing much to write home about, apart from the local speciality.

Looked like a typical industrial port to me.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Thanks to everyone that's responded so far, it has been very helpful. Prompted by some of the replies, I have had a look at Thomson's online December 2015 cruise brochure, and it does show Marina di Carrera as a substitute port instead of La Spezia. I still haven't received any email etc., confirming the change but I anticipate it will arrive in due course. It's our fourth Med. cruise with Thomson and the first time this has happened. It won't affect our holiday experience, but I fully understand it could impact on other cruiser's plans and feel Thomson should have been a bit more pro-active in updating passengers. After all, people are paying a lot of money and should be treated with courtesy and consideration.

Went into TA and she was unaware of any changes to itinerary even though she had Marina de Carerra on her screen and I had La Spezia on my paperwork. She phoned Thomsons who confirmed M d C and they seemed unaware of the fact that Day 5 was a sea day on the web site (Thomson lady was going to email relevant dept to update...). I had an updated itinerary emailed through by the time I got home. Happy now :)

Went into TA and she was unaware of any changes to itinerary even though she had Marina de Carerra on her screen and I had La Spezia on my paperwork. She phoned Thomsons who confirmed M d C and they seemed unaware of the fact that Day 5 was a sea day on the web site (Thomson lady was going to email relevant dept to update...). I had an updated itinerary emailed through by the time I got home. Happy now :)

Thomsons right hand not aware of what the left hand is doing ?

Never..................I don't believe it !!!

It is not just Thomson HQ. My P&O Aurora world cruise segment has a change of itinery but nobody at P&O HQ bothered to tell me or the TA. I only found out because they emailed me cancelling an excursion i had pre-booked. No mention of the port being cancelled though :(

The TA is now talking to P&O about what has gone wrong.

After not receiving any response to my email I rang Thomson this morning. The very pleasant lady was confused when I said my cruise apparently now had two sea days. She informed me that day 5 was Marina Di Carrara and she had no idea why the website was showing a sea day. She went on to say cancelling La Spezia may have been due to health & safety issues but couldn't actually confirm that.

She said I would get an email confirming the change but couldn't tell me when.

I've subsequently gone onto the website to search what excursions were available on my cruise and it clearly stated MDC so they know when to update the site if it means flogging excursions!

It's a real pity as we've already visited MDC but had never stopped at La Spezia although distance-wise it shouldn't make too much of a difference.

Anything is better than a sea day fighting for a sun lounger.