Upgrade Strategies

Man314

While I do agree that sometimes you do have to ask, it's just not my way. Doesn't mean that way is right for everyone. I like to choose what I am prepared to accept, book it and pay for it. Anything else would be pure bonus.

So, if you are upgraded to an Owners Suite, given your experience with the Balcony being a 'sales technique', does that mean you will never book below an Owners Suite again? Somehow I think not?

Good point......there is always that $$ thing in the way isnt there

for all u knowledgeable folks..! If there is a sign at the pier saying 'Ship Sold Out' is that always true or is it possible there are some cabins available that they might 'save' for upgrades for Plat. customers or maybe some folks are a 'no-show' for whatever reason etc. Wld u always check with the Pier Coordinator or the Chief Purser once onboard - just in case?

Thanks for any replies & happy cruisin' all!

We have been on 21 cruises and never been upgraded. We do buy the cabin we want. If it ever happened I think I would faint dead away.

We have never been upgraded either in our 25 cruises. The upgrade fairy must not like frequent cruisers. :(

We are in a Jr Suite on VOS Dec 10th . . . would love to get an upgrade to a better suite (GS, RS, OS) if the price is right. Hadn't thought about waiting until the ship left the dock.
People reserve those suites waaaay ahead of time, and there are very few of them to start with. Don't take my word for it -- look at the deck plans. I'd wager you have essentially no chance of being upgraded from a Junior Suite.

Now, if you were booked in an inside cabin (every ship has tons of them), you'd have a fairly good chance of being upgraded to an ocean view (which few people choose -- most people go for the low price of the inside cabin or the balcony, leaving the ocean view as the red-headed stepchild of the ship). I have been upgraded in this situation.

Now, if you were booked in an inside cabin (every ship has tons of them), you'd have a fairly good chance of being upgraded to an ocean view (which few people choose -- most people go for the low price of the inside cabin or the balcony, leaving the ocean view as the red-headed stepchild of the ship). I have been upgraded in this situation.

I definitely agree with this. For my March cruise, there are no suites left, very few balconies or insides, but a lot of oceanviews left. Cheapest and most expensive go first is the rule.

People reserve those suites waaaay ahead of time, and there are very few of them to start with. Don't take my word for it -- look at the deck plans. I'd wager you have essentially no chance of being upgraded from a Junior Suite.

Agree, believe it or not, there are no D1s and above available on The Jewel for October 31, 2006!

###

Guess it depends on the ship and date. VOS for Dec 10th has 5 GS & 1 OS available with just over 60 days before sailing. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe we'll get lucky!!

Sally is right on..........If the pier sign says "No changes available, ship sold out", wait until after the rooms are open (ie 1PM) and then approach the purser with the question if "all of the suites, balconys, etc have been sold", are there any no shows and what would my chances be of upgrading from my present cabin?

Let the chips fall where they may............

Rick

We booked our GOS cruise months ago and needed a handicapped accessible room. None were available, however, I called earlier this week to reconfirm everything and asked if there had been any cancellations in the accessible rooms. Still none available, but the customer service rep suggested I ask again when we check it - so it's worth asking. We'll be happy were we are but if we can change it would be a big help.

• 3 weeks later...

7 GS Suites left of the Dec 10th sailing of VOS. Is this unusual to have this many still available less than 50 days out?

Hoping for a $400 pier upgrade. What are my chances?

Due to my DH work schedule I made our cruise reservations 3 weeks prior to our VOS sail date. Requested a balcony, only available was a guarantee cabin. To my surprise a few days later after contacting RCL again, was informed that my guarantee was upgraded to a Junior Suite on Deck 8. Loved the Jr. Suite, now I am totally spoiled.

Archived