Upgrade Strategies

Man314

I have heard that if you talk to the "right people" you can sometimes get a really reasonable upgrade once ship has departed. Who are the "right people" to check in with on the ship? :confused:

We are in a Jr Suite on VOS Dec 10th . . . would love to get an upgrade to a better suite (GS, RS, OS) if the price is right. Hadn't thought about waiting until the ship left the dock.

Does the ship ever leave port without all of the suites being filled? I had heard sometimes they try to upgrade people so that they could free up and sell the lower cost cabins . . . if this is true, I'd think there is a slim chance of getting one after departure. Will they upgrade for cheap a couple of days ahead of sailing?

Any upgrade strategy from you veteran cruisers would be much appreciated!

We have upgraded twice on the ship BUT we were on back to backs. Don't waste your time speaking with the Loyalty Amb or consierge..go straight to the Chief Purser.

Our first upgrade was from an E to an OS for $500, our second upgrade was from a JS to a GS..free! Both 11 nights. Also, the ships were not that full.

It never hurts to ask.

I haven't seen an upgraded cabin available since '03 and now we just pay for the cabin we want. Between 1998 and 2003, for very little money, we could get the best or next best cabin that the ship had. Now it seems that the suites are gone before the rest of the ship. Interesting.

Rick

The Purser can be found at the Guest Relations desk on board any RCCL ship. The Pier Coordinator is who you speak with about upgrades prior to boarding. I agree with Rick. They used to have "upgrade" lines in the terminals a few years ago. About all you see now is a big sign saying "ship is sold out, no upgrades available". One thing I hate to see is the raffleling off of the RS or other suite. It does make money for the cruiseline but it irks me for some reason. When we were on the Serenade back to back last year the people that "won" the Royal Suite trashed it. We had to walk by it to get to our cabin and it was such a mess everyday. They must have had ten people in there. It would take two stewards half a day to clean it. It was closed for repairs for the following cruise!

The Purser can be found at the Guest Relations desk on board any RCCL ship. The Pier Coordinator is who you speak with about upgrades prior to boarding. I agree with Rick. They used to have "upgrade" lines in the terminals a few years ago. About all you see now is a big sign saying "ship is sold out, no upgrades available". One thing I hate to see is the raffleling off of the RS or other suite. It does make money for the cruiseline but it irks me for some reason. When we were on the Serenade back to back last year the people that "won" the Royal Suite trashed it. We had to walk by it to get to our cabin and it was such a mess everyday. They must have had ten people in there. It would take two stewards half a day to clean it. It was closed for repairs for the following cruise!

The 'upgrade fairy' is a very reclusive critter. Like the 'lotto fairy', she's seldom seen but you hear about her all the time! So you know she's alive and well and living SOMEWHERE! Book the cabin you'll be happy with, call your TA for any upgrades or upsells, which upsells are most common nowadays, call and ask, ask at the pier, ask everyone else that's been suggested on this board, and if you get lucky, great. If not, at least you have the room you'll be happy with.

Most times, booking a guarantee can get you an upgrade because your reservation floats around in the system, if that catagory fills up, most times you're the one who is bumped up to the next level because you didn't book a specific room as others have. Also, if you notice the catagory H, inside, you can often get a guarantee and chances are you'll get bumped up somewhere, because catagory H only offers a few rooms in that catagory. You may not get bumped up to a suite, probably just a higher inside, if you're even luckier maybe an oceanview, but then again you may just stay in that catagory H so when you book it, be happy with that choice.

I've been upgraded by surprise and upgraded on an upsell. I'm a previous cruiser of several lines, but don't know if that makes a difference or not. At least one of the upgrades by surprise, probably a few more, were by booking a guarantee. But again, this isn't for everyone. If you want a specific location, a specific deck, guarantee won't get you that. I don't care where I am on the ship, as long as I'm there.

Good luck and happy sailing!

The 'upgrade fairy' is a very reclusive critter. Like the 'lotto fairy', she's seldom seen but you hear about her all the time! So you know she's alive and well and living SOMEWHERE! Book the cabin you'll be happy with, call your TA for any upgrades or upsells, which upsells are most common nowadays, call and ask, ask at the pier, ask everyone else that's been suggested on this board, and if you get lucky, great. If not, at least you have the room you'll be happy with.

Most times, booking a guarantee can get you an upgrade because your reservation floats around in the system, if that catagory fills up, most times you're the one who is bumped up to the next level because you didn't book a specific room as others have. Also, if you notice the catagory H, inside, you can often get a guarantee and chances are you'll get bumped up somewhere, because catagory H only offers a few rooms in that catagory. You may not get bumped up to a suite, probably just a higher inside, if you're even luckier maybe an oceanview, but then again you may just stay in that catagory H so when you book it, be happy with that choice.

I've been upgraded by surprise and upgraded on an upsell. I'm a previous cruiser of several lines, but don't know if that makes a difference or not. At least one of the upgrades by surprise, probably a few more, were by booking a guarantee. But again, this isn't for everyone. If you want a specific location, a specific deck, guarantee won't get you that. I don't care where I am on the ship, as long as I'm there.

Good luck and happy sailing!

I'm pretty happy w/ the JR Suite we booked, but boy wouldn't it be great if the "upgrade fairy" did visit!!! :D

I saw a post earlier that listed pier upgrade costs . . . didn't see a listing to upgrade from a JR Suite. Anyone know the pier upgrade rate from JR Suite to a GS or RS??

Last March my hubby and I went on our very first cruise to have a belated honeymoon and to celebrate my 40th birthday. We played bingo on Sunday and surprizingly enough I won the jackpot - an owners suite. It was fabulous and a wonderful upgrade from our tiny inside room. It was my first time playing bingo and it won't be my last. We will be going on another cruise in March of 2006 and we have a balcony suite this time. We will probably play bingo too. Although last time we only played once... and it paid off in a major way.

we were on the Sept 4th sailing of the Explorer.

We originally booked a JS. When the prices dropped about 5 weeks prior to sailing, I paid $300 more dollars total to upgrade to a GS.

After about 5 days, I printed out the updated Set Sail Pass with the GS cabin number. We received our cruise docs with the luggage tags for the GS cabin.

Well, we check in and I give the person at the counter the Set Sail Pass with the GS cabin number printed on it. She did not say anything about an "upgrade" and we did not mention the cabin # we were "suppose" to be in.

We were suprised to go the cabin and find someone else in it!!!! (the man was coming down the hall as our key cards were not working and then his wife opened the door) We were fuming and went to Pursers Desk where it was explained that we were upgraded to an Owners Suite!!!!

WHAT A SURPRISE

Now, here is a funny part too. At dinner we sat at a table for 4 couples. Everyone at our table had been upgraded from a GS to an OS!!!

They were all first time cruisers too!!!! So, the couple we met prior to boarding who go on 4 cruises a year and Platinum.....were not upgraded!!! It also appears that there is a "class" system in the dining room.....I noticed that everyone I saw in and around our deck or in the Concierge Club were seated at tables around the "Captains Table" on deck 3.

.....oh....the Owners Suite?.....it was so nice with lotsa room that we hated to leave the cabin!!!

Have to agree w/ the others who recommend that if there is a certain category of stateroom you want--book it and pay for it. Just did that myself for the upcoming Radiance 1/2/06 cruise--originally booked a JS, but decided what I really wanted to do was sail in a GS, treat DW to the concierge lounge and all that, and so I found the extra money--and pardon my middle class values but $1600 additional is considerable--and changed the ressie to the GS (#1600--huge aft balcony!!).

I also think the memories we have of upgrades come from a time when cruising was less popular, or perhaps the post- 9/11 era when travel was down and the cruise lines were so darn grateful for thos pax who kept on cruising.

I would never feel right asking for something I haven't paid for?? If the better suite is what you want, how about just booking that in the first place??

Do you think all those seats in first class are sold???

not usually...they are then given to frequent travelers as a thank you...

same with the cruise line.... if noone buys the royal suite why not search the manifest see who is a special guest give them the upgrade and sell the lower cabin (which is more likely to sell) and make something

It also appears that there is a "class" system in the dining room.....I noticed that everyone I saw in and around our deck or in the Concierge Club were seated at tables around the "Captains Table" on deck 3.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

The last cruise I went on I was seated right next to the Captain's Table right in the middle of the dining room. I had an outside cabin (Cat. I) for that cruise and I did NOT have access to the Concierge Club. My sister and her husband were also seated at that table and it was their first cruise. They too were in an outside (Cat. I ) cabin.

I am platinum C&A... not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.

Are "I would never feel right asking"...

I said nothing about being 'offered' an upgrade!! Just don't believe in manipulating the situation in order to set yourself up for the offer!

If a person has been a loyal and frequent cruiser with RCI and their names are recognized on the manifest, then by all means, if something wonderful is available offer it to them as a gesture of appreciation.

Indeed, many seated in First Class onboard airlines have certainly not paid full fare to be there but by being those same loyal, frequent customers they too have been noticed and appropriately rewarded whether by an on-the-spot upgrade or the redemption of mileage points.

Are "I would never feel right asking"...

I said nothing about being 'offered' an upgrade!! Just don't believe in manipulating the situation in order to set yourself up for the offer!

If a person has been a loyal and frequent cruiser with RCI and their names are recognized on the manifest, then by all means, if something wonderful is available offer it to them as a gesture of appreciation.

Indeed, many seated in First Class onboard airlines have certainly not paid full fare to be there but by being those same loyal, frequent customers they too have been noticed and appropriately rewarded whether by an on-the-spot upgrade or the redemption of mileage points.

BUT...sometimes you have to ask

as a frequent flier I only get it if i ask....same with the cruise.....

I think it is "more wrong" that there are people who take advatage of the over 55 discount by booking people in several different rooma and then force the pursers desk to switch them to how they want them...I fault them more than the folks who simply ask if they can occupy a space that will go unoccupied...thats just good economics.....

and a good sales technique I got my first balcony on an upgrade...i now NEVER book below a balcony

While I do agree that sometimes you do have to ask, it's just not my way. Doesn't mean that way is right for everyone. I like to choose what I am prepared to accept, book it and pay for it. Anything else would be pure bonus.

So, if you are upgraded to an Owners Suite, given your experience with the Balcony being a 'sales technique', does that mean you will never book below an Owners Suite again? Somehow I think not?

I'm pretty happy w/ the JR Suite we booked, but boy wouldn't it be great if the "upgrade fairy" did visit!!! :D

I saw a post earlier that listed pier upgrade costs . . . didn't see a listing to upgrade from a JR Suite. Anyone know the pier upgrade rate from JR Suite to a GS or RS??

I believe that a JS upgrade to GS or OS is considered a suite-to-suite upgrade, so it's whatever that cost is for your length of cruise.

beachchick

Thanks all for the input & commentary.

I for one do not feel bad if an upgrade is available & I take/pay for it. I'm not booking an inside deck 2 & expecting to get an OS/RS . . . I've paid for a JR Suite & would be tickled to death if I stayed with that room. It seems to me that it would be a shame if they did not sell some of the nicer suites for them to go unused. I'd gladly pay $200 - $400 at the pier or onboard the ship if one was available. To me, it is not worth an extra $1,600 . . . I'd rather save that money & use it for another cruise!! Maybe the airline analogy is appropriate . . . I travel a great deal and never pay for First Class tickets, yet I regularly get bumped up to first as do most of the people sitting up there.

Here's hoping that there are a few larger suites available at time of sailing & I am fortunate enough to get one for cheap!:D

Archived