Jewel Internet

castephens

I just got off the Jewel today and I thought it was totally fine. It's not super fast, but if all you want to do is check email or surf a few web pages, it gets the job done.

It did seem to be slower at certain times, like when people were in their cabins getting ready for dinner. I got the unlimited package and it was worth it to me.

Yes I know about the ba and had a great experience with it. However I would love it if someone with 1st hand experience with using gem Internet for texting and audio FaceTime might be able to give me an update.

And I don't believe all ships Internet is the same because the ba goes by mg and the gem goes by minute. A big enough difference for me and that's why I'm trying to decide if I want the ship 100 minute for $75 or Verizon for $40

On the ship I would use my obc to pay for it but I do t want to waste it if the gem service is so so

Yes I know about the ba ...

And I don't believe all ships Internet is the same because the ba goes by mg and the gem goes by minute.

As I said and you acknowledged, Breakaway is the only ship in the fleet with different functionality (and also pricing).

As I said and you acknowledged, Breakaway is the only ship in the fleet with different functionality (and also pricing).

Do you have any 1st hand knowledge about use on the gem?

The different functionality is my concern

If it takes 5 minutes to load emails it useless to me. Same if it takes 2 minutes to send a text and that is my concern on the gem. I didn't have this concern on the ba so that is why I would love if a recent gem Internet user might be able to respond

But thanks fir your input even though it didn't help with my query

Edited by luvtheships

Do you have any 1st hand knowledge about use on the gem?

No, I have "only" sailed on all five ships built before her and two after - all having the same internet service as Gem.

Besides Gem the only ship between Dawn and Getaway I haven't sailed on is Breakaway that is not relevant to this discussion anyway.

I have used the internet (a lot!) on all ships I've sailed on, and even as a representative of gen X and doing all my work online, it's always been manageable at least at some point - peak times are always slow no matter the ship.

The different functionality is my concern

If it takes 5 minutes to load emails it useless to me. Same if it takes 2 minutes to send a text and that is my concern on the gem.

But thanks fir your input even though it didn't help with my query

As I've said several times, technically the internet connectivity is the same on all the ships (except Breakaway) so you can read through all other experiences from all other ships posted here over the years to get all the info you could ever need to make a decision.

Nobody here can tell you how utilized the connection will be or whether there are weather related problems on your cruise, so nobody with any amount of previous experience is able to tell you how your experience will be. Whether your emails will load for a long time depends also on your provider, inbox size, etc, etc.

Just because you choose not to be helped doesn't mean that an answer to the question wouldn't be helpful.

P.S. Hijacking a thread (turning it to different subject) is forbidden in forum rules so a thread about Jewel is really wrong place to talk about Gem if you refuse to believe the technical facts of those sister ships.

No, I have "only" sailed on all five ships built before her and two after - all having the same internet service as Gem.

Besides Gem the only ship between Dawn and Getaway I haven't sailed on is Breakaway that is not relevant to this discussion anyway.

I have used the internet (a lot!) on all ships I've sailed on, and even as a representative of gen X and doing all my work online, it's always been manageable at least at some point - peak times are always slow no matter the ship.

As I've said several times, technically the internet connectivity is the same on all the ships (except Breakaway) so you can read through all other experiences from all other ships posted here over the years to get all the info you could ever need to make a decision.

Nobody here can tell you how utilized the connection will be or whether there are weather related problems on your cruise, so nobody with any amount of previous experience is able to tell you how your experience will be. Whether your emails will load for a long time depends also on your provider, inbox size, etc, etc.

Just because you choose not to be helped doesn't mean that an answer to the question wouldn't be helpful.

P.S. Hijacking a thread (turning it to different subject) is forbidden in forum rules so a thread about Jewel is really wrong place to talk about Gem if you refuse to believe the technical facts of those sister ships.

Sorry I got under your skin.

Sorry I got under your skin.

No problem, your rationale just resembles of those that write in their reviews that on Breakaway class and Breakaway plus class ships the food is better in aft MDR than in midship MDRs even though the menus are the same and all dishes come from the same galley.

I apologize in advance if this info has already been shared elsewhere...but I am trying to find out what the most current price is on the Jewel for the unlimited internet package. I have to work while on my cruise and I hate to waste time dashing to the nearest land based internet cafe each time we pull into port as I've done in the past. Hoping internet fees have vastly improved since the last time I sailed.

I apologize in advance if this info has already been shared elsewhere...but I am trying to find out what the most current price is on the Jewel for the unlimited internet package.

Current prices are available on NCL website:

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages

Even though the page says that "[p]rices are subject to change based on ship and sail date", those prices have been reported continuously here.

Edited by Demonyte

• 11 months later...

I am new to NCL. I have no perks for internet. I will be on a seven day cruise or seven night which ever.

If I want to get on the Internet periodically ,not every day are there packages with so many minutes ? Or pay as you go?how does the Internet work on NCL?

When I look under NCL it just shows unlimited packages and it seems really expensive. Thanks.

Julie

I am new to NCL. I have no perks for internet. I will be on a seven day cruise or seven night which ever.

If I want to get on the Internet periodically ,not every day are there packages with so many minutes ? Or pay as you go?how does the Internet work on NCL?

When I look under NCL it just shows unlimited packages and it seems really expensive. Thanks.

Julie

Yes, there are packages of minutes you can buy: did you see the link in the post just before yours?

Even though that post is a year old I think it might still have the correct prices.

You can buy 250 minutes for about $125 or 100 minutes for about $60 or pay by the minute which I think is 75cents. There is also a one-time setup fee of $3.95 but I think it's waived if you prepurchase a package.

Shipboard internet is expensive on all cruise lines, not just on NCL.

Edited by NMLady