Scooter protection and care?

daju22

Hi all,

Questions from me are neverending! Thanks to all your experiences, life is easier for my husband and me!

Here goes:

Do you use your travel scooter in the rain? I'm thinking of port usage or to/from the mall. Does getting it wet hurt it?

Do you protect the controls in any way? I'm thinking of a plastic cover.

If you want to go in a small store or restaurant (in a port of call) do you chain it up like a bicycle? Fortunately, my husband can walk some, just very slow.

Any problems on the ship-as in another poster's warning experience with the rented wheelchair-with scooters being stolen?

Do I ask first whether scooters are allowed on tenders (Celebrity Infinity) or just show up with our scooter and hope for the best I've read where they'll put small scooters on tenders for you.

Please give me any suggestions or hints for our new scooter care.

Thank you for all your help,:)

Judy

• 2 months later...

whether scooter is allowed on tender is up to the Captain and the weather. Normally there will not be much to chain a scooter too but you could try I guess I just take my key and try to keep either myself or husband near a door by it, in sight at least.

Always cover the electronics of the scooter, the part on your stearing area with a plastic shower cap if there is rain, other than that it should be ok. I have a canopy for mine as well to protect me when on it. If renting a scooter by all means take the additional insurance it is only about 5 to 10 bucks and covers everything if it is stolen or whatever.

Hi all,

Questions from me are neverending! Thanks to all your experiences, life is easier for my husband and me!

Here goes:

Do you use your travel scooter in the rain? I'm thinking of port usage or to/from the mall. Does getting it wet hurt it?

Do you protect the controls in any way? I'm thinking of a plastic cover.

If you want to go in a small store or restaurant (in a port of call) do you chain it up like a bicycle? Fortunately, my husband can walk some, just very slow.

Any problems on the ship-as in another poster's warning experience with the rented wheelchair-with scooters being stolen?

Do I ask first whether scooters are allowed on tenders (Celebrity Infinity) or just show up with our scooter and hope for the best I've read where they'll put small scooters on tenders for you.

Please give me any suggestions or hints for our new scooter care.

Thank you for all your help,:)

Judy

My suggestions...and I travel a LOT!

1. Always take your key with you when you park your scooter.

2. Do not drive scooter through puddles and it's best to take a poncho with you to use to cover driver and scooter during rainy weather

3. Be prepared to be denied tender use.

4. Take an extra key with you and clip it to a hidden place on the scooter...a repair kit is useful, as well..

5. In port, do not park scooter and leave it...ever.

6. If you want to get into a store or eatery ask an employee of the establishment for assistance.

whether scooter is allowed on tender is up to the Captain and the weather. Normally there will not be much to chain a scooter too but you could try I guess I just take my key and try to keep either myself or husband near a door by it, in sight at least.

Always cover the electronics of the scooter, the part on your stearing area with a plastic shower cap if there is rain, other than that it should be ok. I have a canopy for mine as well to protect me when on it. If renting a scooter by all means take the additional insurance it is only about 5 to 10 bucks and covers everything if it is stolen or whatever.

Thanks for your help, Arwenmark. We are back from Hawaii and Mexico with our scooter. Didn't use the chain at all. Just kept it in view. Had plastic along for covering tiller. We were able to use the tender at all tender ports and the crew of Infinity were so helpful.

1. Always take your key with you when you park your scooter.

2. Do not drive scooter through puddles and it's best to take a poncho with you to use to cover driver and scooter during rainy weather

3. Be prepared to be denied tender use.

4. Take an extra key with you and clip it to a hidden place on the scooter...a repair kit is useful, as well..

5. In port, do not park scooter and leave it...ever.

6. If you want to get into a store or eatery ask an employee of the establishment for assistance.

Thanks for your helpful hints, sologrip.

I like your idea of clipping an extra key on the scooter. I didn't always take the key on shore, but had it on the ship.

The only problems we had were in Cabo san Lucas and Ensenada in Mexico. There aren't many curbcuts or even facitlities that are accessible. The scooter performed great and our cruise was greatly enhanced by using it.

I also have to add, that if you have a balcony cabin, do not park your scooter out there overnight. It gets wet. Not only from the moist sea air, but also from the folks that wash down the balconies and windows and the ship. I was seasick one night and up til the wee hours so I saw this whole operation.. But it also answered my question as to why our balcony was so wet every AM!

Candy

Archived