Taking grandchildren in school term

Todnic

Well I know what cruise I will be taking my kids on next. Diamond Princess around Japan & South America!

How parents manage their children's eduction is no one else's business. Plenty of kids are home schooled. Families can't always take annual leave in school holidays. School work can still be completed while away in co-operation with the school & teachers (that is what we do). It's not 1955 anymore. The world has changed and the internet makes it possible to do school or work from anywhere.

Unfortunately not, Esilef. I spotted a herd of kids racing around the stairways and elevator "lobbies" on decks 3-5 of Solstice (near the MDR) after 10pm one evening, just when late diners were leaving the MDR. Not a parent in sight. :( :mad:

Unfortunately true, but normally once I've growled they tend to treat lightly around me:eek:

We travelled in early December 2015 with family from another state. Due to differing finishing dates, our daughter only missed 3 days of school. Her cousin missed about six. There were quite a few kids on board of school age. Definitely didn't have a negative impact on our time though.

Different schools seem to have different views of taking the kids out for travel. Ours says that you must "apply" to take them out for more than five school days. But I don't know how well that is managed. We know a few families who have taken their kids out for longer, but I don't think that they applied. Our school also told us when we asked for work to take away with us a few years ago that it is school policy not to provide work for kids who are taken out during term for holidays.

I think in the early school years, travel can be such an education itself. I don't see an issue with missing a bit of school. I think schools need to be a bit flexible, some people don't have the option of holidaying in school holidays.

BTW... We cruised with Carnival. The children were 10,9 and 5. In the entire 10 night cruise, I don't think I heard the words "I'm bored" once. They were constantly being entertained and were exhausted from being on the go so much!

I think in the early school years, travel can be such an education itself. I don't see an issue with missing a bit of school. I think schools need to be a bit flexible, some people don't have the option of holidaying in school holidays.

Exactly! I own a tourism business, we earn the majority of our income during school holidays to allow us to survive for the rest of the year. There is NO WAY I can close my business to take a holiday during school holidays so I will be taking my son out of school for a family holiday most years. Surely the department of education can not expect my family to not holiday for the whole 13 years of my sons schooling. Granted, we will be mindful and not holiday during exam time, senior school years or other important dates and we are happy to take school work with us and our trips always incorporate educational elements. My son has more knowledge about other countries and cultures than most of the kids at his school thanks to his travel. By the age of 5 he was educating his kindergarten class about NZ Maori culture and preparing an imaginary "hungi" for his friends thanks to a NZ cruise. We always have him complete a travel diary which he takes to school and gives a presentation on when we return. I have no doubt our cruise later this year Sydney to Singapore via Bali will be an educational experience for him, whatever he misses during the 3 weeks I will pull him from school for this trip we will make up when we return, and the extra knowledge and experiences gained will last him a lifetime.

During off season or shoulder seasons when there are very few children, beware of some of the shows, especially comedy. Performers might be more likely to scale language targeting adults and less prepared to adapt to children as they may do for an early show during school vacations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took my then 13yo son on a cruise in March 2014, took him out of school for 2 weeks. He loved it and we only saw him at meal times and only then because we made him eat with us! He made friends straight away (he is an only child so good at that) and had the BEST time and there were plenty of other kids and lots of activities. It does depend on the kid though, those that are less social might struggle more. It's a lovely treat to suggest for the grandkids, I hope you all enjoy yourselves.

Hi. We would like to take our 14 and 12 year old grandchildren on a cruise out of Sydney, April-September2016. We thought Carnival line would have more for them to do. We are choosing not to go school holidays to avoid too many kids BUT will there still be enough for them to do on this cruise? They are quite mature for their ages. I would appreciate any advise thanks!

We were on the Carnival Spirit in mid term, but they still had over 600 children on board, they were very well behaved, mostly younger children, very few teenagers.

Carnival don't seem to organise as much for the children as Princess or P & O,

there are just too many, so they are much more in evidence around the ship, but there is plenty for them to enjoy including the Green Thunder, a nine year old girl told me not to be frightened so I had to try it, I expect your grandchildren will make sure you enjoy the experience.

I'm sure you will have a great time, even the evening meal can be great fun especially with children.:)