RCL to Norwegian?

Heyitsnicolelee

The only cruise we have been on is RCL Grandeur of the Seas to the Bahamas. We are looking into Norwegian for our honeymoon (to Bermuda from NY). The one we are looking at is on Norwegian Breakaway. Are Norwegian's ships in classes like RCL? I just want to make sure we are getting a good experience.

Also, has anyone done the Bermuda itinerary? I am kind of concerned we will be docked in one port for 3 days. I don't want to get bored.

Breakaway and Bermuda are fantastic. Loved it very much and the ship is great. Don't worry about being in port for 3 days. There is plenty to do in the island. To keep you busy.

Edited by abe3

Also, has anyone done the Bermuda itinerary? I am kind of concerned we will be docked in one port for 3 days. I don't want to get bored.

Yes, many people have done the Bermuda itinerary on the Breakaway. I doubt you will get bored. Check out the Bermuda ports of call forum to get an idea of things to do:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

Breakaway is a GORGEOUS ship! Are you in a spa stateroom? If not, be sure to buy a spa pass on the internet before sailing as this ship has the BEST spa at sea! Even if your fiance is not a spa guy, he will be after trying this! We spend at least a part of every day in the spa. So what kind of cabin did you get?

Make all dining and show reservations in advance as some restaurants sell out before you even board the ship - even if you are in the Haven.

I can tell you about the great restaurants. Definitely plan to do at least some of the Specialty restaurants. The most romantic is Le Bistro (French) and Cagney's (steakhouse) is also great! Moderno is a Brazilian Churrascaria - bring a big appetite, between the massive salad bar and all the meat they bring out, you will be stuffed! Teppanyaki is always popular - it's like Benihana's. We also like Wasabi, the Sushi restaurant. The Raw Bar is also fantastic - if I had known, we would have just had dinner there one night. Ocean Blue is good and known during the day for delicious Lobster rolls. There is also La Cucina which has rolled out a new menu which I have not tried yet - but it looks good!

Definitely save one night to go to the Manhattan Room. We didn't get there and it looked fantastic! It is fun to go to the Ice Bar - if you have never been to an Ice Bar before. You get 2 drinks, but you can save one and go on another night, if you want.

Cirque Dreams is a great show! I was not a fan of the food (salad with a bundle of greens with balsamic drizzle and a pile of prosciutto, Filet mignon, shrimp, carrot and cauliflower, 3 eh desserts) so we ate at Wasabi and then picked at our meals. The show is so good, it's kind of annoying to have the food because you really want to just pay attention to the show!

In terms of the ship - the closest competitor on RCCL would be Oasis, Allure and Harmony. The Breakaway has so much to do - 5 water slides, ropes course, mini golf, rock wall climbing, bowling, you cannot do it all in a week.

Really, I think you have made a fabulous choice for your honeymoon and will have an awesome time.

The only cruise we have been on is RCL Grandeur of the Seas to the Bahamas. We are looking into Norwegian for our honeymoon (to Bermuda from NY). The one we are looking at is on Norwegian Breakaway. Are Norwegian's ships in classes like RCL? I just want to make sure we are getting a good experience.

Congrats on the honeymoon. As others have posted, there's plenty to do on Breakaway, and in Bermuda. It's a great ship, and tons of activities on board even while at port.

Another poster commented on the Cirque show. I agree, it's tremendous and something you won't want to miss. A tip for that one is to go to the early show the first night....it's usually not at all crowded for that one.

Something else you should definitely do is go to the Welcome Aboard show the first night. They have samples of the entertainment on board throughout the week. Burn The Floor is a show I wouldn't have gone to if I hadn't seen them that first night. Rock of Ages is awesome, but is a little bit risque and you will hear the "F" word...still, a great show.

As far as the specialty dining, Teppanyaki might be my favorite. I tried La Cucina for the first time on my last cruise and the Ribeye was maybe the best meal I had the entire cruise. Another great place is O'Sheehans, a pub that's open 24 hours. They have prime rib a couple times a week, and they also have an ice cream bar (a la carte)....try the Sundae for a special treat.

Since it's your honeymoon, consider booking a room in the Haven. It's a "ship within a ship" concept that's exclusive to guests staying in those rooms. There's a private restaurant with complementary breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You'll have your own butler, who will bring you treats every day. You have a concierge to arrange shows, shore excursions, etc. You'll be pampered and quickly spoiled.

You'll have a great time.