CCL platinum going to RCCL - what to expect?

summercruisin'

Hi! It looks like I am going to be going on a RCCL cruise for the first time ever late in 2016 (only because it is a 40th birthday celebration for a family member). I've been on several CCL cruises, so I'm really comfortable with knowing what to expect, but RCCL is (obviously) going to be a new experience.

So, if you have cruised both, please help me know what to anticipate! :o What are the differences and likenesses between the two? How is embarkation managed? and debarkation? and the muster drill? Tipping? What do I expect for meal times? Are there things I need to pack that I don't have to for CCL (like beach towels, for instance? or shampoo?)? The one we are going on has a stop at Coco Cay. What should I expect there?

I posted on the CCL boards, because I am hoping for real, helpful advice, not commentary about which cruise line is better, necessarily. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

We have enjoyed our cruises on both lines very much. Overall, the experiences are very similar. You may miss some of your Platinum benefits. There are very nice extras for upper levels on Royal. We do find the atmosphere a bit more casual and "fun" on Carnival. After a couple of less than fun cruises on Royal last year, we haven't felt a strong interest in going back. So, for now, we're opting for more of the fun! :)

Didn't really answer your questions. Sorry.

Embark and debark seem a bit more organized on Royal, happy to say.

Muster, same procedures. They do have you check in with your key and cabin number. A crew member will have a clipboard to check attendance.

Most ships have dryers provided, as best I know. There is a shampoo dispenser and soap in the bath. Suites and upper tiers get upgraded amenities.

Gratuities are auto posted to your account, like Carnival.

You select traditional or Your Time dining. You can do it online for Your Time time slots.

You'll love Coco Cay! Like Half Moon Cay, but smaller and a bit more charming. Look for the iguanas over the bridge!:)

Enjoy your cruise!

We to are going to be on Royal after cruising only Carnival with the exception of one cruise back in 2000.

Things I've been learned about Royal that I don't like are;

No self serve laundry or iron station

No robes unless your in a suite or a diamond or platinum member

No high tea

I'm hearing rumbles about the new rock hard mattresses...this coming from loyal Royal cruisers

No free steam room or sauna

We will be on the Allure and despite the above list I can't imagin us not loving this ship. Not too sure I would sail on any of their other ships.....Allure is in a class all by itself.

Some differences. Don't expect Royal to bend over backwards to please a first time cruiser. (At least I have not received the same level of service from them as I have from Carnival) Hope the next one will be better.

Found the food availability to be lacking at times on Royal and no 24 hour ice cream either.

In my opinion they really cater to their elite members and are not at all shy about doing it. Where as I think Carnival does a better job of treating everyone a little more equally.

Hi! It looks like I am going to be going on a RCCL cruise for the first time ever late in 2016 (only because it is a 40th birthday celebration for a family member). I've been on several CCL cruises' date=' so I'm really comfortable with knowing what to expect, but RCCL is (obviously) going to be a new experience.

So, if you have cruised both, please help me know what to anticipate! :o What are the differences and likenesses between the two? How is embarkation managed? and debarkation? and the muster drill? Tipping? What do I expect for meal times? Are there things I need to pack that I don't have to for CCL (like beach towels, for instance? or shampoo?)? The one we are going on has a stop at Coco Cay. What should I expect there?

I posted on the CCL boards, because I am hoping for real, helpful advice, not commentary about which cruise line is better, necessarily. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA![/quote']

Rccl is much nicer in all aspects.

Hi! It looks like I am going to be going on a RCCL cruise for the first time ever late in 2016 (only because it is a 40th birthday celebration for a family member). I've been on several CCL cruises' date=' so I'm really comfortable with knowing what to expect, but RCCL is (obviously) going to be a new experience.

I posted on the CCL boards, because I am hoping for real, helpful advice, not commentary about which cruise line is better, necessarily. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA![/quote']

Embarkation and debarkation, and many other things are similar. The larger Royal Caribbean ships have some interesting entertainment options for instance ice skating rinks, rock climbing walls, Broadway shows, excetera. The larger ships also have a very large promenade which is almost like a mini mall rather than the smaller version found on Carnival ships. They charge for room service at night and not just some items but a flat rate fee for ordering room service at night. As someone else said there are no robes in the rooms unless you book a suite. The rooms are for the most part slightly smaller for a given room type then they are on Carnival. I don't know if it was just our room Stewart but there were no towel animals on my last Royal Caribbean cruise. They have no comedy club but sometimes a comedian is the evenings entertainment in the main show lounge instead of a musical show. They have some karaoke but typically only an hour or so on an occasional night so it has been difficult on my cruises to both see the shows and attend karaoke. Since I really like both I really hated having to choose one activity or the other. If you are mobility impaired it is rather hard to get around the larger Royal Caribbean ships.

Edited by Jana60

the one area that you'll definitely notice an upgrade from Carnival is the entertainment.

Bill

But this depends on which ship ( the older ships are much the same as carnival but with the absence of the comedy club and less karaoke as I described) and as with most things is a matter of the opinion.

Edited by Jana60

Things i've noticed that differ..... not much ymmv on latest ships

carnival exclusives

self service laundry

water slides

rccl exclusives

rock wall

surf ryder

10 person band

ice rink that is almost never used

overall i always end up with a larger ob charge on rccl and they seem to have slightly less activities going on thru the day, focusing more on nightlife. kids program on carnival is prefered by my kids

Rccl is much nicer in all aspects.

For those that say more alike than different I think they mean each ship provides a bed, food, and a swimming pool. Outside of the very basics RCCL exceeds in all areas for value and quality of services.

Everyone loves to pick minor things like self serve laundry. I never do laundry on vacation! Ironically the important things like entertainment and quality of food and service are seldom mentioned

Summercruisin which RCCL ship are you sailing? If you're on the Oasis or one of the other newer Royal Caribbean ships you'll notice the most impressive upgrades in entertainment/activity options. If you're on the oldest Royal Caribbean ships you will notice that they have less entertainment than is available on Carnival.

Edited by Jana60

RCI's drink program is much better than Carnival. With Carnival, it's one basic package, everyone over 21 in the room must purchase if one does, and a limit of 15 drinks per day. RCI has a tiered program where you can get just beer, a mix, and and ultimate. They also do not require everyone in the room to purchase and do not limit the number of drinks you can order each day.

We've been to CocoCay twice and loved it. A basic beach day with water toys etc. and a BBQ lunch We have lucked out both times and were able to make it to CocoCay but sometimes the port gets missed due to weather, etc.

I really enjoyed my RCL cruise. I was on explorer.

Contrary to what people say on the boards it's not at all 'upmarket' class wise and passenger wise totally on par with carnival.

The drink packages are a lot better than carnival for sure.

The dining room food was the worst I've experienced on any line (sailed 4 different cruise lines)

But that can be subjective.

Ice rink was fun and so was the flow rider thing. You won't be disappointed in entertainment as there is always something to do.

OP, from your signature line I see that you've been on many different classes of ships on Carnival, from Fantasy class all the way up to the Breeze, so you've experienced lots of differences among the Carnival ships themselves.

I would assume it is much the same way on RC. Which ship are you sailing on and from which port? Some of the answers will be the same, but many are dependent on ship and/or port.

I was platinum on Carnival when we sailed Oasis last year, and I did a pretty comprehensive comparison review, but I was careful (or tried to be) not to compare all of RC with all of Carnival since I had only sailed on Oasis and since (at that time) I had not yet sailed on the Breeze. Since then, we sailed on the Breeze this past summer, but here is a link to that review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2143547

We would sail any of the Oasis class ships again for sure, but we've chosen the Breeze again for our next cruise coming up.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Edited by CruzCrazy

Thanks so much everybody! You have given lots of great info, and I look forward to even more! :D

On that note, I should have given more info.....we are going on the Majesty (older, smaller ship) for a 3 nighter out of Canaveral. I wouldn't have chosen it for my first RCCL experience, but it isn't up to me ;). It leaves Canaveral on a Friday and then goes to Nassau and Coco Cay before returning on Monday.

There are some significant differences in the experience itself (beyond the change in cruise lines), including:

1. no kids traveling with us! In fact, I may be traveling solo, if DH can't arrange getting off work (he's in retail, and we are going in November.....just as holiday season is kicking into full gear :(, so he may get left out). Usually I travel with DH and my two kids, one of whom is on the autism spectrum (which shapes much of our cruise travel - so this will be huge!). Since we are going with a huge group of people celebrating my brother-in-law's 40th birthday, it is basically a weekend celebratory getaway, not a family trip.

2. going in November. As you can see from my signature and my username :D, I usually stick to cruising in the summer (because I am a teacher). I'm guessing there will be some significant differences between my summer days in the Bahamas and those in mid-November.

Thanks again for the info, and happy cruising!