VG Baths & Snorkel Tour thru NCL

PhilliePhan31

Hey Guys - Looking to see if anyone can provide some recent feedback about this excursion, The Virgin Gorda Baths & Snorkel. We are sailing on the Escape next month. Due to the short time in Tortola, 7a-3p, and having a large group, we chose to book through this tour through the cruise ship. I've read many of older reviews...Just looking to hear some recent feedback about the tour operator and what to expect. Appreciate your help!

PhilliePhan31, we're booked on the Escape later this month. One thing I noticed when checking out NCL's excursions online is that there are two that go to the Baths - one that includes snorkeling and one that doesn't. For some reason the one without snorkeling is listed as lasting 4.5 hours and one with snorkeling is only 3.5 hours. That seems backwards to me but that's what I saw in their excursion info. We've signed up for the one without snorkeling. I've read that the Baths gets pretty crowded when cruise ships are in port so we opted for the earliest of the 3 departure times. I'll try to remember to post some details after we return.

Thanks, Surfer. I also noticed that and was wondering if it was an error. I think that I read that the boat ride takes about 45 minutes on some older posts... So, around 1.5 hrs travel time. With the non-snorkel tour, add another 30min for the safari bus transportation to the Baths. The snorkel tour drops you off about 100 yards from the beach. Maybe that's the difference in time. Will be great to hear about your experience!

Thanks, Surfer. I also noticed that and was wondering if it was an error. I think that I read that the boat ride takes about 45 minutes on some older posts... So, around 1.5 hrs travel time. With the non-snorkel tour, add another 30min for the safari bus transportation to the Baths. The snorkel tour drops you off about 100 yards from the beach. Maybe that's the difference in time. Will be great to hear about your experience!

I've been looking at these same excursions thru NCL. From what I read, I understand that if you take the snorkel tour, you must swim to shore. It says "Participants must be at least 5 years of age and able to swim 50-100 yards from the boat to the beach as the boat does not pull up to land at Virgin Gorda"

The regular tour does not say this, so, I think you have to "hike" down to the beach on the other tour on a rough sounding terrain.

Unfortunately, from these descriptions, I don't think either one of these will work for me!!

If the cruise ship excursion includes a ferry to Virgin Gorda it's a 30 min ferry each way and you will dock at the marina by Spanishtown. The ferries are very reliable, and they will make more ferries available on busier days. It's a 10 min taxi ride to the Top of the Baths. There are 2 trails down to the beach, neither are a problem for someone with no mobility issues, one path is easier for someone who may have difficulties.

If the excursion takes you directly to the Baths you will not see any of the island but will need to swim into shore. The current can be rough with undertow, so depending on the weather you may need to be a stronger swimmer.

Many folks go on their own and just get a ferry pass and hop a taxi when they arrive. The ferry price is $30 roundtrip, taxi fare to the Top of the Baths (and other spots in the Valley) are $4pp each way. Be sure to see if you can benefit by getting more time on Virgin Island by buying 2 one-way ferry passes (1 from Speedy's and 1 from Smith's) to get the longest time on the island. You can check the 2 ferry schedules by googling these ferry sites. If you have enough time you can also work with a taxi driver to drop you at different spots and pick you up to avoid the biggest crowds, fares are very reasonable.

Edited by blue_water

Hi Blue Water - love all of your great information. We are cruising with NCL in April and had planned to do the Baths on our own. Ship is in port 7am-3pm. We had planned to take Speedy's ferry leaving Tortola at 7:45 and return back to Tortola at 1:10 via Speedy's.

I've been following cruisers reviews of their Baths' experience and it has me a little worried. Some are saying that the Baths are too crowded to enjoy. Some are saying the ship isn't in port long enough to do on our own. I've also seen where some are saying that the ferry ride is over some very rough water and that many are getting sea sick (could this be due to winter weather - could it be calmer in the Spring?).

There are 6 of us - husband , myself, our 2 children and my parents. With these reviews from others, I've been wondering if I should look at other options. Your opinion would greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by slmorange

Hi, Yes one downside to going to the Baths when cruise ships are in port at Tortola or Virgin Gorda is how crowded it gets. You'd like to be able to experience this without the crowd, and when in port for just 8 hrs it doesn't matter if you go on your own or with the ship excursion because you're all there at about the same time. So yes, it can distract from the experience but it is still a unique experience and worth the effort IMHO.

One note - I've posted info on Spring Bay elsewhere if you want to consider that, similar topography and nice beach but no amenities or facilities. Of course there's nothing on the beach at the Baths except a small refreshment shack. You can walk from the Top of the Baths to Spring Bay so you're not far from the Top of the Baths Restaurant and restrooms. Similar experience, except it should be less crowded than the Baths. So if you do find the Baths just too crowded you could walk back up the path and head for SB, just be back in time to get a taxi. The driver will point out the road to SB if you ask, and will also let you know what time you should be ready to head back to the ferry.

Your other options are mainly a beach day on Tortola or an island tour.

Can't answer the seasick question, the water can be rougher in the winter and is generally calmer when you're going. We've been on the ferry in both seasons and never had a problem, but everyone is different. Many folks complain about getting motion sickness or upset after taking a taxi to CGB too. April is typically very nice.

Have fun!

Edited by blue_water

Thank you Blue! Appreciate your input. and thank you for the info on Spring Bay - I'm sure I've seen it (as I read as many of your comments as I can) but I forgot about it. Thanks for that tip (again)!

sorry - one last question. I've looked up the ferry schedules for both Speedy's and Smith. Are they accurate? Keep their websites up to date? If we do his on our own rather than trough the ship, and the ferry schedule is wrong/changes we could be in trouble.

The ferry schedule can and does change, and sometimes the website isn't updated as fast as it should be. But the schedule the day you are there will be accurate and they will make sure there are enough ferries to return folks to Tortola. Having said that, we'd get back to the ferry to get in line a little early since many people will have the same idea!