Norwegian Dawn Christmas Cruise to the Western Caribbean Review, Dec 20-27, 2015

mickev99

Aww, I just had to say a few things (other than thanks for the review)...

So sorry there was confusion between the family about going to LFK and the pricing. I really wish you could have made it there. Truly a paradise. I'm hoping some day you will be able to return and go there. It's definitely worth every penny. I have yet to find another place even comparable to it. They now have other options for food there, so you could buy the cheapest package and purchase food as you go if that helped (like a pizza place and so on). Maybe next time.

Ugh, I hate to hear that Blue Kay had tons of seaweed that day too. But hey, it sounds like the kids had fun with it. :p That really sucks that the trolley driver didn't stop as you had ask them too. We didn't even tell ours where we were going and they still stopped. Although, I'm sure that they do probably get kick-backs from places because they stopped at Senior Frogs right next to Blue Kay and tons of people got out and they tried to persuade us to go there and "come back" as we walked away. :p Another thing, the taxi's ARE allowed to go all the way in to the port and drop off. Picking up is a different story, so I'm not even sure what happened there. We have always been dropped off right on the sidewalk at the opening to go back into the port with no problems (and it's like this at a lot of the ports...you have to walk outside the gates to get a cab, but can be dropped off within the gates returning).

I really want to try Goffs Cay, even if only for the small smidgen of an island. So unique to know you are out in the middle of nowhere, on this small piece of land surrounded by water. The snorkeling is just an added extra, but on a windy or choppy water day, I would just opt to stay on the island when I go. Some day...:)

I will have to get back to Chankanaab some day. I know it's changed a lot since I was there last with the zip lining, alligators and stuff. But, there's just so many more places I want to experience there as well. I think I just need a land vacation in Cozumel and do them all at once. :D

I have to say that the "stockings" and "Christmas tree" idea was amazing and very cute. I really liked that. We have always cruised right before Christmas and came back within days prior to the 25th. It would be so hard for me to actually be gone FOR Christmas itself. You looked like you did it well. :D Now New Years Eve...that would be an awesome cruise!

One last thing. As long as I can remember, NCL has had the time change to match the ports. I personally like this myself so that theres no confusion once you get into port (if you need to ask someone the time, or on a tour and the tour guide needs to structure your trip according to the ships time, and even times were your cell phone may switch times zones on you), it's just so much easier for me. They have always left a little card in the rooms during turn down at the end of the day that states either "set your clocks up/back" that night. I always plan accordingly because we are not morning people either. If I'm going to lose an hour, I'm going to bed an hour early to make up for it. :p But that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all this fantastic information. My family and I (husband, son- 8, daughter- 5) and another family- husband, wife, and daughter-9 are travelling this same cruise Feb 14. Appreciate all the very detailed info!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the well written trip review. My family is taking the Dawn in March.. You mentioned watching Basketball at pearly kings a few times. Any other places to watch sports, or is this the place to be?

That was the only place that I saw the games in. It's a pretty small place, too. You could also get them on the tv in the room. I can't think of anyplace else that they could have shown them. The location was perfect for us, very close to our room. Possibly Gatsby's, but I don't remember seeing tv's over the bar.

How much were the trinkets? Just trying to gauge, $5s, or $1s...lol

Trying to snorkel and still have cash.

US Dollars work or is it better for local currency?

Thanks so much for your time writing this all up.

How much were the trinkets? Just trying to gauge, $5s, or $1s...lol

Trying to snorkel and still have cash.

US Dollars work or is it better for local currency?

Thanks so much for your time writing this all up.

Ok, I have 3 kids so my memory is shot, and I'm too lazy to re-read the review. Are you talking about on Goff's Caye in Belize or West Bay in Roatan? The girls and I just bought handmade bracelets and necklaces in both places. Cheaper in Roatan because there were so many people coming up to us. They would usually say two for $10. Belize was more like $10 and just talk them down a little. I used US cash with no problem. I probably could have talked them down more but I thought the prices were good and the quality was good, plus the guys were all so nice and not obnoxious so it was fine with us.

... Are you talking about on Goff's Caye in Belize or West Bay in Roatan? The girls and I just bought handmade bracelets and necklaces in both places. Cheaper in Roatan because there were so many people coming up to us. They would usually say two for $10. Belize was more like $10 and just talk them down a little. I used US cash with no problem...

Thank you so much, that was perfect. Trying to go a light as possible, but since I don't carry cash always hard to guess at things like this.