QM2 or Queen Elizabeth

speedwell

I am considering two cruises with similar itineraries. One is on the Queen Mary and the other the Queen Elizabeth.

I have sailed on the QM2 before, but not the QE. Which ship would seasoned Cunard cruisers recommend?

Hi Speedwell.

I have done multiple cruises on both. They are different and I prefer the dancing and partying on Queen Mary 2.

Having said that, if you are considering Grills accommodation then Queen Elizabeth wins by a length.

On the other side of the coin, Queen Elizabeth has the superior theatre...

17522406946_3c321f213d_z.jpg

So much does depend on the itinerary. For instance, if its going to be warm then you'll never get more deck space than on QM2.

Swings and roundabouts, how long is a piece of rope?

Why not go for Queen Elizabeth and put another feather in your cap.

Hello speedwell, I am biased our favourite ship is Queen Elizabeth. We do find the layout superior to Queen Mary. The Queens room in the centre of the ship to us is where it should be. The buffet to us on Queen Mary is at best a joke and words fail me at worst. We are waiting for the refit and then will sail Queen Mary again.

As Richard says put another feather in your cap.

Whichever you choose I hope, and am sure, you will enjoy.

Edited by branston boy

I agree that the layout is a little strange, but as we were frequently told, "its a liner not a cruise ship".

I thought the cafeteria layout and the theatre view lines were poor, but I did enjoy the rest of the ship and it certainly coped with some very windy weather much better than most ships.

The itineraries are from Dubai to Southampton. Some ports of call are the same, but the QE ventures further east to Istanbul and calls at different ports on the way thru the Med

You are faced with a win-win situation.

Go with what you know - and you know you'll like it.

Try something new - and you surely won't be disappointed.

My only issue has been that being so used to sailing on QM2 that when on QE, I kept going the wrong way to get places !!!

I've done an equal number of trips on both ships. I prefer the interiors of QE (the Queens Room, theatre, Lido and Commodore Club especially) but QM2's open decks (at least until May's re-fit). I'd echo the advice from Hattie and if it was me, I'd probably opt for QM2 unless there were some absolutely must-see ports included in QE's itinerary. If I thought there was a chance some of the calls might be cancelled and we'd be at sea for longer than anticipated, I think I'd rather be on the larger ship - though it's a tough but nice choice to make!

For me, traveling with Cunard is really all about the experience of being on the ship. I do enjoy going ashore, of course, but I don't necessarily choose a particular cruise for the itinerary alone as other factors often come into play as well.

Anyway, have a great trip, which ever one you decide to take!

To me it boils down to the QE is easier to get around as its just basically one long corridor whereas QM has 2 corridors and aome half floors at the end.

Buffet is easier to nvigate on QE

I prefer the decor of QE but thats not to say QM is dowdy in any way

Yes agree that theatee on QE seems nicer

Having got back from QE on 22/12 I would, following my first day back at work today, willingly climb on board either right now!

The itineraries are from Dubai to Southampton. Some ports of call are the same, but the QE ventures further east to Istanbul and calls at different ports on the way thru the Med

Both nice itineraries and with both a fair number of sea days and a chance of good weather I would say they are pretty evenly matched. I don't know whether it would make any difference but I get the impression more people tend to the full world cruise on the smaller ships.

Have you checked out the roll calls for either ?

Queen Elizabeth is so similar to Queen Victoria which undoubtedly our favourite Cunard ship. Having done the full world on Queen Mary 2 in 2015 vowed not to go back on her as the layout is totally wrong (Queens room location for a start, theatre like a school assembly hall etc.) Layout of both the other 2 vastly superior with the queens Room being central and therefore the hub of the ship. Again theatre on E and V significantly superior. So back to Victoria for a full world next year. Fed up with being told that Queen Mary 2 is the only ocean liner etc.

Hattie

Yes, I had a look at both Roll Calls..

Thanks for all your responses. After over 15 years mainly with Celebrity I think it is time for a change and, on balance, I'm tempted to return to the QM2 - mainly because she still feels "different" to the normal cruise ship.

I'm not sure my wife will agree because she had great difficulty finding her way around the ship the last time we were on board

I only cruise Cunard on real ocean liners, not cruise ships, which QE and QV are, regardless of how beautiful they may be. Thus, my choice would always be QM2, which is a real ocean liner with all the attributes of such!

Gosh, I so miss QE2!

The attributes of each ship have been well-stated by others so I won't repeat anything. I will only add that the QM2 has traditional teak decks as opposed to the artificial material used on the QE. I have found both to be comfortable for my constitutionals, but some people say the imitation decks are more slippery in the rain.

I love all the ships and would travel on any of them, but with lots of sea days - which we prefer - QM2 offers more choice simply because of her size.

While I agree the Grills are far better positioned on the smaller Queens, I actually prefer the Grills restaurants themselves, and the Grills Lounge, on QM2.