Thank you, Native Choice Tours!

h-sar

Our stop in Costa Maya on the Regal Princess last week was a highlight of our cruise due to our guide Diego and the great planning Native Choice put into our 5 hour ruins and native village/lunch day. We were able to take in the ruins with a very well spoken guide, Diego, well before all the cruise ship busses came in and then went in a group of 20 to the village for an amazing culinary experience in the home of a local family. Yes, the place is probably spruced up and 'Disneyfied' a bit for tour groups, but it is still an authentic home and garden, showing visitors how the locals live.

The food was amazing and the information provided by Diego about the various plants/vegetables growing in the immense backyard was very appreciated. We were able to make our own corn tortillas, have the ladies cook them in front of us, and then eat them, hot, with an incredible homemade salsa. After that, we enjoyed a feast which had been prepared by the ladies. Could not have asked for a better cultural/historical/culinary tour!

Do give yourselves about 20 minutes to get to their office as the walk from the farthest dock to the security exit is about 10 min and then it's another 5-10 min, depending on the individual. The cost of the tour, booked online, was $75 and worth every penny.

Thanks for sharing your review! It is getting me excited, a group of four of us are scheduled for this same tour in early February.

I can't say enough good things about the tour. It was just the right mix of education and culture. A friend on the same cruise took the tour from another private company and were essentially left to their own devices at the ruins. We got so much information from Diego, on the bus, and then at the ruins. He stayed with us every step of the way. It was considerably cheaper than the cruise ship price and we were leaving the ruins as the herds of cruise busses were pulling in. I was able to get great pictures with no one else in view.

Once you're out of the security area, head straight toward the large pyramid which is straight ahead, and take a left and their office is very easy to find. We had to boot it for our 8:00 AM tour as we didn't realize our ship, docked the furthest away, was a good 10 min walk just to the security gate. They had tram cars to take passengers down the pier, but I have always found myself going the wrong way. Never fails. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our stop in Costa Maya on the Regal Princess last week was a highlight of our cruise due to our guide Diego and the great planning Native Choice put into our 5 hour ruins and native village/lunch day. We were able to take in the ruins with a very well spoken guide, Diego, well before all the cruise ship busses came in and then went in a group of 20 to the village for an amazing culinary experience in the home of a local family. Yes, the place is probably spruced up and 'Disneyfied' a bit for tour groups, but it is still an authentic home and garden, showing visitors how the locals live.

The food was amazing and the information provided by Diego about the various plants/vegetables growing in the immense backyard was very appreciated. We were able to make our own corn tortillas, have the ladies cook them in front of us, and then eat them, hot, with an incredible homemade salsa. After that, we enjoyed a feast which had been prepared by the ladies. Could not have asked for a better cultural/historical/culinary tour!

Do give yourselves about 20 minutes to get to their office as the walk from the farthest dock to the security exit is about 10 min and then it's another 5-10 min, depending on the individual. The cost of the tour, booked online, was $75 and worth every penny.

Thanks for this review! I'm really excited to take this excursion in October and seeing reviews like this really makes me comfortable with my choice. My wife is really wanting to see the Mayan ruins and the lunch prepared by the Native ladies will be a cultural and culinary plus. :)

My wife got to have this wonderful opportunity to visit the Chacchoben Ruins and then eat a meal in a home of a Chacchoben village. It was an experience that we hope to never forget. The tour guides were excellent and the vehicle was comfortable.

The tour was about 5.5 hours and well worth the price. There is some climbing at the ruins so be aware of that but my wife has had back fusion surgery and was able to get up the steps with my assistance.

We were on a RC cruise ship and the walk to the meeting place is only 5-10 minutes, the directions we were given were easy to follow and then the van dropped us off right at the port on our return.

My wife got to have this wonderful opportunity to visit the Chacchoben Ruins and then eat a meal in a home of a Chacchoben village. It was an experience that we hope to never forget. The tour guides were excellent and the vehicle was comfortable.

The tour was about 5.5 hours and well worth the price. There is some climbing at the ruins so be aware of that but my wife has had back fusion surgery and was able to get up the steps with my assistance.

We were on a RC cruise ship and the walk to the meeting place is only 5-10 minutes, the directions we were given were easy to follow and then the van dropped us off right at the port on our return.

I can't wait for October so my wife and I can go on this exact same tour. My wife also has mobility issues so it is DEFINITELY reassuring to get feedback from others in our situation. I'm not sure what I am looking forward to more, the actual ruins ao being able to have that meal in the village! Thanks again for posting this review - definitely is putting my mind at ease about going on this excursion! :)

I can't wait for October so my wife and I can go on this exact same tour. My wife also has mobility issues so it is DEFINITELY reassuring to get feedback from others in our situation. I'm not sure what I am looking forward to more, the actual ruins ao being able to have that meal in the village! Thanks again for posting this review - definitely is putting my mind at ease about going on this excursion! :)

Don't forget to look up for monkeys cavorting in the trees at the ruins. Our guide was great about pointing them out and I managed to get some excellent video footage on my cell phone. If he happens to be leading a tour that day, ask for Diego.