Capilano safety?

poss

I can't tell from the photos: Is there strong fencing (or whatever) all the way down from the hand rail to the floor of the bridge? E.g. if someone happened to trip, is there no way they could fall through?

About how long does it take to walk across, assuming one doesn't stop to look at the scenery below?

About how long does one usually spend at this stunning site?

Thank you.

Have a look at this image to see the fencing to the bridge deck....

CapilanoSuspensionBridgeVancouver_54_990x660_201406011041.jpg

• No strollers or wheelchairs are allowed to cross.
  • do not carry children in your arms. That has been the only incident of someone going over the handrails accidentally.
  • one in 20 are unable to cross the bridge from the height. It's about 80meters above the water. Like walking the Great Wall of China, the Suspension bridge is a must for Vancouver. Don't forget your certificate!
  • A busy bridge can be a lot of horizontal motion (especially with young kids). Getting there early before the tour buses at 10am or arriving after 5pm can make the crossing more pleasant.
  • you can cross the bridge in 3 minutes with no picture taking and no congestion. 140 metres (460 ft)
  • budget 90 minutes at the park to cross the suspension bridge, cliffwalk, and Treetop adventure
  • consider a visit in December..... when crossing in the dark, the bridge is bottomless

[YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]KkohpnJ-Zxs[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Thank you ever so much, xlxo. I think the bouncing of the bridge may be the thing that prevents me from enjoying that wonderful walk. I'm acrophobic, but I can usually steel myself to do something of the sort (e.g. the hanging bridges in Costa Rica), but I've gotten a little more fearful as I've aged; I believe the bounciness would cause distress.

Also: In all the photos on the little video, it seems as if the fencing goes from top to bottom-- except in one shot where the woman is standing at a particular point; in that one photo, it almost seems as if the area where she is isn't actually "enclosed" in the way the rest of the walk is.

I'd really hate to miss Capilano, but I fear I may have to. (My husband has no fear whatsoever of heights, but he's elderly and I think it'd make me nervous for him to go himself.)

From the picture, it's only the last 2 inches that has a gap for a golf ball to slip out. Likely for snow drainage.

Go there first thing at 9am or after 5pm when the tour buses are gone. If you arrive after 6:30pm, you basically have the whole park to yourself. In the summer, the park closes at 8pm. Sunset is around 9:30pm.

I should add, while there is one main bridge. Cliffwalk and Treetop bridges offer a different experience.

Edited by xlxo

^Since you specifically mentioned the bounciness contributing to the issue I would strongly advise NOT visiting Capilano. It's expensive, and a good chunk of the experience is on the other side of the bridge - i.e. if you don't cross, you spend $30+ to basically visit a gift shop!

I'm like you - a bouncy bridge, especially with an unpredictable pattern of movement, is a nightmare. No problem with heights, I've even crossed Cap and other bridges of it's ilk before but I can only do it when there's nobody else moving around on the bridge at the same time - even on a really quiet day off-season at Cap that involved me waiting a good twenty minutes each direction to get a chance to make it over solo.