Men's Under shirt with open collar

What is the appropriate way to wear or not wear an undershirt with an open collared shirt for casual night.

1. Regular round collar under shirt, probably a newer nicer one thats still white, and not yellowed from hundreds of launderings?

2. V neck undershirt ? (DH doesn't like this because his wirey chest hair shows and believe me he's not at all the waxing or chest hair shaving type)

3. A heavy outer wear style T-shirt under the open collared shirt?

4. No undershirt at all, just let it all hang out.?

I'm planing on buying some new undershirts, but if I need to I can get him a couple of plain white Haines Beefy T's to wear too.

How about the tank sytle undershirt? (affectionately called "wife beater" T shirts by the younger set :rolleyes: ) My DH always wears them and his ubdershirt is never visible. But then again the chest hair may be a problem.

No undershirt I think. Gene is not wearing an undershirt in the same situation (not that he knows anything about fashion, he showed up to our first date wearing tie dye an camoflage together. I put his clothes together and he is happy with that). I looked in mens fashion magazines when I put his wardrobe together for the cruise.

Oh and to get the yellow out put bluing in the water. Just a capful and let the washer run for 1 minute before adding the clothes. Works like a charm. Don't spill it though because it is impossible to get out.

Undershirts have a place and purpose:

1. To keep the outershirt cleaner (body perspiration).

2. To hide the body (chest hair; tatts; love handles).

The undershirt should not be visible in most cases thus the V neck is for open collared shirts. The crew neck is to be worn with a tie (so as not to see the weird "V"). Taboo is to wear a white crew neck tee with a short sleeve casual shirt.

The exceptions:

Colored crew neck tees in cotton or silk that are designed to be visible under a shirt or with a sportcoat. These are heavier weight.

If the guy is not willing to trim back the wires then the crew neck is a must all the time. (Rule 2.)

Finally, fashion is constantly changing and old rules do not apply in all cases.

If he is wearing a button down shirt with the top buttons open.......he should wear a V-neck t-shirt.

The only time my dh wears a crew neck t-shirt under his shirts is if you're not going to see the t-shirt underneath it. He ALWAYS wears t-shirts under his regular shirts.......first, it keeps the outer shirt cleaner (no sweat stains) Plus, its just appropriate.

BUT conventional wisdom is just about out the window......so really, anything goes. Let him wear what he is comfortable wearing!

What's the deal with chest hair? Since when is a man suposed to look like a prepubescent boy? Do you want your guys to look like Ken dolls?

HERE, HERE! My husband has chest hair and that's just fine with me. If a few show then they show!

Where are you cruising? Isn't he going to be warm with both an undershirt and a casual shirt? My DH only wears an undershirt with a white dress shirt, suit and tie (yes, it's hot but we all must suffer in order to be beautiful:) ). Then again, he never sweats, so the undershirt is only to provide a clean look with the dress shirt. If the hairs are wild and crazy, you could just give them a trim with scissors so there isn't so much fluff poking out.

The undershirt should not be visible in most cases thus the V neck is for open collared shirts. The crew neck is to be worn with a tie (so as not to see the weird "V"). Taboo is to wear a white crew neck tee with a short sleeve casual shirt.

The exceptions:

Colored crew neck tees in cotton or silk that are designed to be visible under a shirt or with a sportcoat. These are heavier weight.

If the guy is not willing to trim back the wires then the crew neck is a must all the time. (Rule 2.)

Finally, fashion is constantly changing and old rules do not apply in all cases.

The above information is so on the mark, it is worth being repeated. Men should always wear an undershirt under a shirt. It grosses me out to see a man not wearing proper undergarments.

The above information is so on the mark, it is worth being repeated. Men should always wear an undershirt under a shirt. It grosses me out to see a man not wearing proper undergarments.

So I assume you ladies are also all wearing "proper undergarments like this. :D

patent.jpg

Men should always wear an undershirt under a shirt. It grosses me out to see a man not wearing proper undergarments.

I think your reaction is an overreaction. You also conveniently ignore the final statement in the post that you quoted:

"Finally, fashion is constantly changing and old rules do not apply in all cases."

Nliedel, the undergarment isn't passe but proper manners.

I am sorry but it is very presumptive and judgemental to make a statement insinuating my husband lacks manners because he neglects to wear the undergarments you deem acceptable. If he he covered and polite then it really is not anyone's business what he elects to wear under his clothing. He does not wear an undershirt, he does wear underwear. I find this logic baffling and laughable.

The exceptions:

Must 2nd this. I follow the above rules even in the summers of DFW. Only one thing worse which is the short sleeve dress shirt w/ a tie.

Okay, let me weigh in here with "current" fashion (which does not necessarily have to apply to everyone, I'm just commenting to the "passe" comment)....

I have a 20 yr old DS who is a sophomore in college and a regular fashion plate. He has never been the type of teen to wear droopy pants, etc. - he has dressed like a preppy frat boy as long as I can remember.

He will absolutely NOT wear a polo/collared type shirt (and that's almost all he wears) without a t-shirt. I don't care if it's 90 degrees in the shade and 90% humidity (which it often is in his college town of Statesboro, GA)... he's wearing both. It is considered among his set of natty dressers to be perfectly acceptable for the crew neck (he doesn't own any other kind) to peek out under the shirt.

I'm not stating my preference, just what the nattier college kids are wearing these days.

Where can ANY post, on any topic, start an argument? Only on Cruise Critic! Honestly, I love CC for just that reason - so much drama.

A little background - I would like to think of myself as a well-dressed, 30ish male (I'm the guy pictured in my avatar.) Now, on to my opinion.....

I agree 100% with TidePrideGA. Wearing an undershirt is absolutely what the trendy college-age guys are wearing these days. Doesn't matter with what - an undershirt even goes underneath a t-shirt!

Such an interesting thread! People sure do have their opinions!

My DH doesn't wear an undershirt, either. Especially not under a polo/golf type shirt. That just sounds odd to me.

He doesn't wear many button-up shirts, except corduroy or denim shirts in cold weather and again, I don't see a need here to wear an undershirt. Never have. Keeping the garment clean- OK, I can see this if you don't wash the shirt frequently, but don't most men wear their shirts once these days between washing?

And do women need the same? My undergarments hardly provide a layer between the parts most likely to sweat (or "glow" as women do) and my clothing, so why is it OK for women to do without and not for men?

Manners? I guess we're from different parts of the country. I see no need for this and it only creates an extra layer of clothing to get hot in and then have to wash.

I agree with Nliedel.

Where can ANY post, on any topic, start an argument? Only on Cruise Critic! Honestly, I love CC for just that reason - so much drama.

A little background - I would like to think of myself as a well-dressed, 30ish male (I'm the guy pictured in my avatar.) Now, on to my opinion.....

I agree 100% with TidePrideGA. Wearing an undershirt is absolutely what the trendy college-age guys are wearing these days. Doesn't matter with what - an undershirt even goes underneath a t-shirt!

You are correct... I didn't think to mention that, but he does indeed wear an undershirt under t-shirts when he wears them (usually UGA or GSU tees).

BrooHaw, BrewHaw-- However you spell it.

Thanks you for all your input. DH is not one to follow fashion rules so I was looking for atleast some guidlines to steer him in the righ direction.

My husband is much more comfortable in an undershirt, and always wears one. He usually wears a polo for casual night, sometimes buttons the polo, and sometimes goes with the open collar depending on how casual he's being. But I just got him that nice Hawaiin shirt, and it is an open collar shirt.

So for the last cruise I bought him a V-neck to wear with his button down with-out a tie. He has a few wirey chest hairs, and he's so used to the crew neck, it just did not look right and he did not feel right. (I have nothing against chest hair if it looks nice, but his is sparse and wire) So now that I got him this Hawaiian shirt, I am wondering what to do.

Since he always - T-shirt, Polo, Button Down with Tie - wears an undershirt, I am thinking that I will either get him brand new crew neck undershirts, and just let them show, and he'll be comforatble, and look some what presentable with his brand new undershirt, or I'll get him a light blue or white Haines beefy T- to wear under neath.

Since there are so many opinions, I I'll try to let him wear what he feels most comfortable in, but still somewhat presentable.

You're right that my nephews wear a T-shirt under most shirts. This is the fad of the week. It has been around a few years, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that change any time now. Growing up in the 80's you had to be a major geek to be caught in an undershirt. My DH doesn't wear one, because I still have that mindset emblazoned on my brain. :p He does wear one with thin dress shirts that require one though. I think this, as all fads, are a very telling sign of your age. People tend to stay with things that they're comfortable with & they usually determine their comfortability at a fairly young age.

Archived