HELP! Lost Driver's License 4 days before travel!

QTPieRye

We have needed to show id every time we fly from Boston to wherever and back again. We travel three to four times a year.

Yes, you do have to show ID every time you fly but as the PP pointed out the TSA does have a procedure in place to verify your identity if you don't have an ID for some reason (I do not know what the procedure is but the last time I looked at the TSA website I recall seeing info there, also). It does take longer and is a pain, but eventually you make it through security.

You technically don't need photo ID to travel by air. It creates a lot of headache and can take a long time to get through security though. But TSA shouldn't stop you from traveling at all. Carnival is another issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen the TSA turn a pregnant woman away because she didn't have her license...This was in Orlando airport. Poor thing was so upset.

Can someone who has posted here explain how someone can fly without a drivers license (when that would be your only photo i.d.?).

I know that it happens - one of my relatives had to surrender a DL after an accident, and managed to get on a plane to go home a few days later without any photo identification.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't really understand how this is circumvented, nor does it make me feel like our safety is being taken into consideration.

Can someone who has posted here explain how someone can fly without a drivers license (when that would be your only photo i.d.?).

I know that it happens - one of my relatives had to surrender a DL after an accident, and managed to get on a plane to go home a few days later without any photo identification.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't really understand how this is circumvented, nor does it make me feel like our safety is being taken into consideration.

I fly every other week for work. About a year ago, I was flying with a coworker who forgot their DL. They explained the situation and were able to show TSA numerous other forms of ID they had on hand - credit cards, employee ID, etc. to prove their identity. It takes a little longer, but these things happen. I'm not sure if there's a blanket policy of what happens in this case, that's just the experience I witnessed.

A passport can of course be used in place of a DL as well in that instance.

It's good they found it, but I would think that a local DMV would issue a replacement card (a real one, not a copy) with same day service. My previous D.L. had an old address & old hair color but it didn't expire for a few years...Since I wanted my new address AND a new picture I went to my local DMV and they issued me a replacement within a few hours. The fee wasn't too bad. I would do it again if I lost mine and had to travel soon.

This is what TSA's FAQ has to say:

I forgot my identification; can I still proceed through security screening?

In the event you arrive at the airport without proper ID, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. By providing additional information, TSA has other ways to confirm your identity, like using publicly available databases, so you can reach your flight.

If your identity cannot be verified, you will not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint.

Stuff happens, people lose their ID cards. If you're on vacation and your wallet gets stolen, you still get to fly back home.

It's good they found it, but I would think that a local DMV would issue a replacement card (a real one, not a copy) with same day service.

Not every state offers or has the capability of same-day service. While some states have the equipment to print a license on the spot, other states send it to an outside company (or at a minimum a central processing facility) and it takes days to weeks to arrive in the mail. Those states typically issue a temporary paper license which is valid until the permanent one arrives.

Before it was found... here's what I learned yesterday online and after making several phone calls:

In California, the DMV will only issue an intermin paper license without your picture.

TSA may allow you to clear security without a photo ID, but they reserve the right not to perform the special screening process which would clear you.

Will Call Passport ~ Although there is a main passport office located near us in

San Diego, it would not have mattered because the only ID they accept is Driver's license or other government issue photo ID.

Fortunately for her, she found it! Had she not, she would have NOT gone on this cruise and her husband just might have killed her!

We have needed to show id every time we fly from Boston to wherever and back again. We travel three to four times a year.

I travel 15-20x a year and I'm a consular officer, so I can assure you that there is no rule requiring an ID. But if you have one it's way easier to just use it. Here's a source.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/04/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-can-you-fly.html?m=1

Nobody needs one. It's just way easier and I highly recommend not forgetting yours.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/04/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-can-you-fly.html?m=1

Interesting! Learn something new every day. I will still carry I'D, as I believe in making life as easy as possible.

Every state offers replacements for lost/stolen driver's license. Make a police report to the department that has jurisdiction in the area where you lost the license, get a copy of the report, then go to DMV and get a replacement.

Why would you post this statement? Why do you think "every state" is the same?

One cannot get a picture driver's license the same day in the state where I live. Several years ago there were multiple thefts of the equipment from local DMV offices -- the solution -- centralize the process. There is no way to get a picture driver's license the day you go to the DMV. Kind of hard to do when they don't have the equipment in the office to do it.

Also -- there is no need for a police report to get a replacement license here. Believe me I know -- have done is many times.