Nice Hotel in Venice

johncandt

Has anyone stated at Hotel Continental? I am wondering how hard it is to get from the airport and then to the cruise ship? We have not booked any hotel yet so we are open.

You will be located right by the train station and only one bridge away from Piazzale Roma (the bus, transit area). Also the Tram that takes you to the cruise terminal is right in Piazzale Roma. If you are capable of carrying your luggage over that one bridge you will be ok with walking to the bus/tram area.

Has anyone stated at Hotel Continental? I am wondering how hard it is to get from the airport and then to the cruise ship? We have not booked any hotel yet so we are open.

Can you easily manage your luggage across one LARGE bridge ?

The hotel is on the other side of the Grand Canal from Piazzale Roma. P Roma is where taxis, buses, cars drop off passengers from the airport and is where you would find a taxi for the 5 minute ride to the pier.

In the link I posted earlier, look at the bridge in the photo ..... that's the bridge you'll cross from P Roma to the train station.

(or check your luggage at the Left Luggage facility at P Roma and take an overnight bag to the hotel)

We've stayed twice at Locanda Orseolo. The best staff, who accommodate your every request, helpful with restaurant suggestions, booking private water taxi, anything you need. Located very close to St. Mark's, but tucked away in a private courtyard. Views overlook a canal with gondolas right under your window. Wonderful breakfast and the most amazing cappuccino I've ever had. I give them my highest recommendation.

http://www.locandaorseolo.com

You will feel like family by the time you leave.

• 1 month later...
A LOT of things to consider with hotels in Venice...

First off, think about where you want to be, the expense and difficulty of getting there and the convenience.

I've been to Venice several times...and I've stayed in both of what I would consider the prime locations: 1) Piazza San Marco and 2) Piazzalle Roma...I'll quickly discuss those.

P. San Marco is the square which contains the Cathedral, the Doge's Palace and other prime tourist attractions. Hotels in the area surrounding P. San Marco are convenient for sightseeing--once you get there. The difficulty is in getting from airport to hotel and hotel to ship with luggage. Your main choices are to either take an expensive water taxi to and fro, to take an Alilaguna or ATV shuttle boat or to get to P. Roma by bus and then try to navigate the Vaporetti (public bus/boats) with your luggage. And, to get to any specific hotel depends on the precise location--and may include some dragging your luggage up and down some small bridges.

P. Roma is the main transportation hub of Venice. It is very easy and cheap to get to--You can catch a cheap public airport bus directly from the Airport to P. Roma...and, to get from P. Roma to the cruise terminal, there is an easy "Peoplemover" for 1 Euro per person (price last time we visited). It's a little less glamorous than P. San Marco, but, once you are there and checked in and your luggage is safely in your room, getting everywhere on the island is easy either by foot or by Vaporetti...

There are a few reasonable hotels in the P. Roma area, including the BW Olimpia, the Santa Chiara and the Del Doge...Fairly close are a few slightly more expensive places--the Papadopoli and the Carlton (which also has the lower priced Capri off the Grand Canal--I've stayed in both)...

If you'd prefer to stay in the P. San Marco area, there are some pricey places, but also some less pricey. Last time we stayed there, we were at the Anastasia--which was a nice little 17 room boutique hotel off on a side street...There is also the Violin d'Oro around the corner from it near the Gondola station which is supposed to be nice--and reasonable--as well...Again, my main problem with these were the logistics in getting to and from...

Good luck...

Steve,

Haven't run into you in a while! Thanks so much for these suggestions! As always, you are a great source of information!

Barbara (brandba)