High Seas

pinkie60

I was watching PTZTV yesterday and boy those ships were having a heck of a time getting in and out the port. I have never seen so many huge ships rolling in the waves. It was an amazing sight to see. I believe the days ahead will prove to be the same. That's why I never sail in Winter or early Spring. Anybody on a ship in high seas lately?

oh.noes.!!!

We normally go in december with no problems well except the last one but we blamed that on the captain got to port wayyyy ahead of schedule. But seriously... is it that bad right now just due to the season or is it like a storm...sorry a little bit freaking out right now lol.

I live in West Palm Beach and I see that you are sailing on the Sensation. That ship is out of Port Canaveral. That means you will be sailing right into the Gulf Stream which is a bit choppy. Our weather has been hit or miss, meaning for 3 days you will have weather in the 80s with calm seas. Then a cold front sneaks in (it's Winter after all) and the skies turn cloudy, it looks like it's going to snow but it won't, the temperatures drop to the 60s and the winds starts to blow. The usual is around 30-40 knots and the sea go from calm to 10-20 ft. It's a crap shoot. Today is nice tomorrow not so much. Take Bonine with you and remember it's will still be warm compared to the weather in Ohio. The Sensation is a great ship, please enjoy your stay.

Thank you for the information!!, and i will take 60 to 90 degrees over the 8 degrees it is right now lol. Thank goodness for sea sickness meds, I will just double what I have right now that I am taking with me. :) Thank you so much again!

Worst high seas I've ever felt was between Canaveral and the Bahamas. So bad that I told my wife if it was as bad between the private island and Nassau I was flying home from Nassau. Thankfully that was the only rough seas we had on that trip

• 2 weeks later...

The Gulf Stream passes right by Cape Canaveral. We also feel it in West Palm Beach in the winter. By far this has been the roughest seas we've seen in years. It's due to the El Niño. Also it's quite cold down here for us right now. It hasnt hit 70 degrees since last week.

I was on the Valor out of Pt Canaveral during Joaquin...not cool. The Captain came on over the PA as we were leaving San Juan to say we would miss Grand Turk because of a storm and that we're changing course in an effort to miss any bad weather. He explained that he wanted to head toward Cuba and follow the coast line, then enter the Straights of Florida to stay ahead of the weather and return us home safely.

I really appreciated his communication with us and I'm sure they did everything they could do to keep us out of harms way. But, that storm got big and strong really fast! We spent the night in a hurricane on the open sea...not close to the eye, like the poor El Fargo, but close enough inside the rotation to make for the highest seas I have ever been on. It was a crazy experience and one I will not forget. Happily, I lived to tell this tale :D

Edited by mooveebuff