Silly -Why bother with Ice bucket and ashtrays in the cabins?

Irishman45

Wondering what others think?

Why bother with the ice buckets in every cabin? To us it's a waste of space on the desk. Sure if you want to chill wine which as we've seen they bring a bucket with the bottle when pre ordered (official rule you can't bring your own wine/alcohol onboard). OK so you get a bucket of beers to take back to the cabin, just stop off at the buffet or one of the bars an they refill the original bucket. We've done the bring back beer buckets and single alcohol drinks concept an it's taken 4-5 requests (in a single night) to the cabin stewards to actually get the ice, usually ended up finishing warm drinks when the ice never showed up.

Can't smoke in the cabins yet an ashtray is provided? WHY!!!!!

Wondering what others think?

Why bother with the ice buckets in every cabin? To us it's a waste of space on the desk. Sure if you want to chill wine which as we've seen they bring a bucket with the bottle when pre ordered (official rule you can't bring your own wine/alcohol onboard). OK so you get a bucket of beers to take back to the cabin, just stop off at the buffet or one of the bars an they refill the original bucket. We've done the bring back beer buckets and single alcohol drinks concept an it's taken 4-5 requests (in a single night) to the cabin stewards to actually get the ice, usually ended up finishing warm drinks when the ice never showed up.

Can't smoke in the cabins yet an ashtray is provided? WHY!!!!!

Ice is used for other things other then buckets of beer.

Why bother with the ice buckets in every cabin? Can't smoke in the cabins yet an ashtray is provided? WHY!!!!!

My advice is don't wait until you have drinks to ask for ice. I tell my room steward to bring me ice every night and he does. Some nights I use it and some nights I don't. The ashtrays are because it's an Italian line and they do allow smoking in the cabins, but, not while the ship is sailing from the US.

For the handicapped cabins the ashtray makes for a good soap dish when using the shower. Whoever came up with the location for the wall mounted shelves obviously never tried to use the shower seat an reach for things on them.

As for the Ice bucket - I agree rather pointless unless you need it every single day "which I doubt most do or ice wouldn't have to be asked for in the first place". Seven trips with MSC ask stewards 3 different times throughout the day for ice an it's actually shown up one time so we stopped asking an get it ourselves from the bar when we need it "faster and they actually fill the bucket completely". When not in use it goes in the bottom of the closet to be out of the way - was almost charged for it once when they didn't realize we put it out of the way an not in our bag.

My advice is don't wait until you have drinks to ask for ice. I tell my room steward to bring me ice every night and he does. Some nights I use it and some nights I don't. The ashtrays are because it's an Italian line and they do allow smoking in the cabins, but, not while the ship is sailing from the US.

MSC don't allow smoking in cabins and balconies regardless of where they are sailing. Fleetwide policy.

Because of the specific and proven risk of fire, smoking (including electronic cigarettes) is not permitted at any time in cabins or on cabin balconies. If evidence of smoking is found, a special cleaning fee of 70 euro will be charged to the Guest’s account.

https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Already-Booked/General-Information.aspx

You can still se ashtrays in lavatories onboard airplanes today, this is due to safety regulations just in case someone lights up.....

MSC don't allow smoking in cabins and balconies regardless of where they are sailing. Fleetwide policy.

Thanks for the correction, it was a guess since the ship is new and the only ship I have ever seen with ashtrays in the bathroom, I figured they must allow it in Europe.

Put the ashtray in a drawer; ask your room attendant to take away the ice bucket.

Problem solved.

Not hard is it. [emoji6]

Anthony & Jenny, Melbourne Australia

Cruised MSC YC 7th June 2015, Eastern Mediterranean. Waiting to book 2017!!

Put the ashtray in a drawer; ask your room attendant to take away the ice bucket.

Problem solved.

Pretty hard to put the ashtray in a drawer since you'd first have to take it off the wall with a screwdriver or wrench which not everyone carries with them.

Wow it was just a "silly" question folks.

Just like all the packing lists full of items few if anyone really needs or uses so why pack it in the first place they just take up space.

In this case it is provided items: one few use and one that is against the rules to use anyway (at least for its original purpose).