What appeal does Bayside offer folks staying in Miami? I just don't get it...

Bayside is an open-air shopping mall that was built in downtown Miami, right on the shore of Biscayne Bay. It also happens to be right across the water from Royal Caribbean headquarters and the Port of Miami, where the ships dock.

If you've already visited Bayside and can't wait to return, I suppose you must follow that calling.

Me personally, I don't understand the appeal...it's just a mall. Granted the location is practical (very close to port) and setting is nice (on the bay), but it's just shops & a few restaurants.

If I were not already a native and wanted to experience south Florida for the first-time or if I had visited and was less-than-thrilled with downtown Miami (not many downtowns are all that pretty, anyway; LOL), I'd definitely suggest staying in South Beach.

First, you're on or very near the beach! You also get... People-watching here is some of the best IN THE WORLD; no holds barred! Great amount of restaurants of all-kinds to choose from. If drinking & maybe dancing is your thing, this is one of the club capitals of the world. Sightseeing: largest concentration of Art Deco buildings in the world. Shopping: Lincoln Road is a pedestrian-friendly, outdoor shopping piazza that stretches about 6 or 8 blocks and offers everything from Starbucks coffee to movie theatres and from dance clubs to ice cream parlors.

I always suggest folks book their hotel stay (or at least their transfers) from the cruise line, just for the sake of convenience. But if your eager for the deals and don't mind booking yourself, you're bound to find good deals on the internet. Most of the major hotel chains have properties on South Beach and I'd suggest these first. If you stay at one of these and then find an exotic boutique hotel that catches your eye while visiting (and there are DOZENS & DOZENS of these all around), poke your head in and let them know your considering a stay there the next time.

No matter what you decide...have FUN, be SAFE and BON VOYAGE!!!

;)

Gigglewolf-of-the-Seas

Bayside is nice and the hotels downtown are convenient to cruisers. South Beach is much more cultural and interesting, especially if you have time after your flight to spend the day. With both locations, beware of bargain hunting. There are a lot of dumps on south beach and if you are off the beaten path in downtown miami, there are some scary areas. Bayside is a great tourist attraction. If you are not into it, there are a lot of other great places in Miami including coconut grove, coral gables, Aventura, etc.

Any suggestions for booking South Beach hotels thru Priceline?

Unless it is an off week, prices on south beach can be very high so just read reviews before you book. The loews is nice as is the ritz and the delano. Some of the smaller places are very dumpy and the parking on south beach (unless the hotel has a parking lot or valet) is street parking and horrible on the weekends.

Also, don't leave anything in the car... It may get stolen.

To each their own! :D

By time we arrive in Miami we're tired and just want rest and get some dinner. Anywhere with a good rate and is clean is what matters most, we have stayed HI @ Bayside or the Hyatt.

We like being close to the port, waking up and seeing our ship in port is pure heaven!!! :D

We find the Bayside Marketplace, http://www.baysidemarketplace.com/, to be a very interesting place to spend time looking in shops or dining. We go down to Miami early and book a hotel across from it just to go there. In between our b2b cruises next year, if we don't do a day tour, we will spend our day there also.

We lived on Long Island, NY until 1995 and we saw some of the most beautiful beaches in the world our whole lives. I can see the beaches in the Caribbean on the cruise and not in Miami. I'll stick with the Bayside.

That's just my opinion. ;)

To the OP- yes, I can understand why people would find Bayside Market alluring but I can tell you from personal experience that price was a factor for DH and I.

We flew in to Miami early afternoon before our flight so there wasn't too much time to look around. We saved at least $100 US by staying downtown, not to mention what we saved in cab fare since downtown is closer to the airport. Additionally, our hotel had a shuttle to the pier and free breakfast.

We did go to the Marketplace in the afternoon. Were we thrilled? No, but I managed to pick up some inexpensive items for the cruise. We also had a horrible thunderstorm that day so I was glad I was not out exploring South Beach. We went to Porcao for dinner, which was close by and which we loved.

On the way back we stayed in a different downtown hotel. Went back to Bayside for a boat tour, which we quite enjoyed. Had lunch at one of the forgettable chain restaurants but it was o.k. and cheap. For dinner we went to Versailles.

Did we get the full Miami experience? Of course not. But we had a relaxing time that didn't break the bank. I would love to go to Miami and spend some time there, but I'm not going to bother trying to cram it in for a few hours- perhaps I can convince DH that we need to stay a few extra days the next time we cruise out of Miami;)

Cheers,

We just stayed at the H.I. across from Bayside. We went over there and had dinner, but was not really impressed with it. However, when we woke up the next morning and watched the NOS come in all lit up and make that big turn around in the bay, I knew where I would be staying from now on.

Bayside is an open-air shopping mall that was built in downtown Miami, right on the shore of Biscayne Bay. It also happens to be right across the water from Royal Caribbean headquarters and the Port of Miami, where the ships dock.

If you've already visited Bayside and can't wait to return, I suppose you must follow that calling.

Me personally, I don't understand the appeal...it's just a mall. Granted the location is practical (very close to port) and setting is nice (on the bay), but it's just shops & a few restaurants.

If I were not already a native and wanted to experience south Florida for the first-time or if I had visited and was less-than-thrilled with downtown Miami (not many downtowns are all that pretty, anyway; LOL), I'd definitely suggest staying in South Beach.

First, you're on or very near the beach! You also get... People-watching here is some of the best IN THE WORLD; no holds barred! Great amount of restaurants of all-kinds to choose from. If drinking & maybe dancing is your thing, this is one of the club capitals of the world. Sightseeing: largest concentration of Art Deco buildings in the world. Shopping: Lincoln Road is a pedestrian-friendly, outdoor shopping piazza that stretches about 6 or 8 blocks and offers everything from Starbucks coffee to movie theatres and from dance clubs to ice cream parlors.

I always suggest folks book their hotel stay (or at least their transfers) from the cruise line, just for the sake of convenience. But if your eager for the deals and don't mind booking yourself, you're bound to find good deals on the internet. Most of the major hotel chains have properties on South Beach and I'd suggest these first. If you stay at one of these and then find an exotic boutique hotel that catches your eye while visiting (and there are DOZENS & DOZENS of these all around), poke your head in and let them know your considering a stay there the next time.

No matter what you decide...have FUN, be SAFE and BON VOYAGE!!!

;)

Gigglewolf-of-the-Seas

ive done both.....it depends on time....

last cruise i came in to miami on friday night...ship left sunday

i stayed in south beach...hung out on beach saturday....went to a nice dinner had fun

i leave on the majesty monday i get int miami sunday 6:00 ish...I want to eat throw back a few beers sleep and get up to get on the ship....why go to south beach then...

Some good points were mentioned on both side of the fence...

If pressed for time or just looking for basic needs being met, then staying in downtown is practical. And I agree with those folks who happen to catch the view of the ships all lined-up at the port first thing in the morning (if you're lucky enough to have a room that faces the port; remember to ask at check-in if staying at the Hotel Intercontinental. I'm quite certain the Downtown Hyatt has no views of the port, by the way.) And if I had my choice, the Hotel Intercontinental would be the way to go; great property, great location, nicer than the Hyatt.

But if you do have more than an evening to spend in Miami, South Beach is a great way to spend it, as I've already described. In South Beach, virtually any chain-brand you go with will be good. The one independent/boutique hotel I would highly recommed is: "The National" (EXCELLENT Art Deco hotel, fully restored, award-winning hotel).

Tripadvisor.com has some good reviews of hotel properties in South Beach & Miami; it's a start if your considering Miami Beach.

Ultimately, it is about the cruise! :) But a little preparation in advance can go a long way toward making the entire vacation experience that much more enjoyable.

Cheers!

Gigglewolf-of-the-Seas

Still amazes me how "hot" South Beach is. Used to get dragged to that area as a kid, on long, hot vacations to visit my unpleasant grandmother who lived in a shabby residential hotel (name withheld). Remember, anything that is know as "revitalized" by definition used to be kind of shabby. That's the area of Collins Ave I remember, circa 1973-1976. Then one year the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue had a photo layout at the pool from the hotel where she lived. Hey!, I thought, I swam in that pool...but no exquisite women who looked like that did back then...oh well, was only off by 20-25 years...

We're staying at the holiday inn across the street from bayside not because we want to experience miami, but just for the wake up convenience of being near the port the next morning, and I was able to get a rate that i could live with the night of january 1st for a 1/2 departure. the ship just happens to be leaving from miami--i also considered the mariner, and but for a few factors, I might have been driving to port canaveral instead of flying to miami (an airport I don't go into if I can avoid it, but in the interest of time between airport and hotel/dock, I'm fine w/ a cab, even in Miami, for those purposes).

Well I agree with you completely GigglewolfOfTheSeas...I don't understand it either. I found nothing of interest in Bayside, as it was simply a repeat of all the stores I see my local mall.

From my perspective, my vactions are few and far between, so I prefer for it to start the minute I get on the plane departing home. I want to make the most of it, so the idea of "waiting" to get on the ship is odd to me...that is just another destination for the next day: I prefer to get the most out of today, which is why I try to stay near the beach.

If you want to stay on the beach, you can find good hotels that are not outrageous. They won't be $50, but you don't need to spend much over $100 either. You can of course spend more. Even staying a few blocks away is great, as it is not a long walk, the beaches are all public, and of course, there is so much to see and do around the south beach area, that even a few blocks stroll will entertain for hours.

It really does depend on time and budget. If you've got more than an afternoon to kill then South Beach may be the thing to do.

I usually tell people about Bayside if they are arriving the day before. Yes it is an outdoor shopping plaza - but how many shopping centers are waterfront with cruise ships, live music, outdoor restaurants, bars and palm trees? It's an hour drive for us and every once in a while we spend the afternoon there shopping, eating and enjoying the scenery.

South Beach is more of a vacation destination - to be fair they shouldn't be compared.

And those that said it's heaven waking up and seeing their ship in the port....well, I agree. It's why you're there isn't it?

Speaking of seeing the ships first-thing in the morning...

Back in 11/90, I was staying at a condo-hotel next door to the Marriott, which had a great view of the Port of Miami. Couldn't sleep well all-night, so decided to have coffee on the balcony.

The Monarch of the Seas was being inaugurated in Miami the day before and had stayed docked overnight for parties & such and her Crown & Anchor icon was glowing BRIGHT blue all over the water. The sun hadn't even peeked-out by that point; just the early morning hazy light.

Then I notice the Sovereign of the Seas coming-up Government Cut (the waterway all the ships pass-through to come into port). She slides up the cut and alongside the Monarch: it was the first time that two "sisters" of the Sovereign Class of RCI vessels had ever been within proximity of each other (or first time they met, in other words)!!!! At that very moment, BOTH ships blared their fog-horns for what seemed like 30 seconds and I'm certain it was heard for miles! Un-freakin-believable sight that not many people could have seen that early in the a.m. (5:00a.m?) and is VERY rare: the FIRST time two ships of the same class are side-by-side. :D

Other interesting note: at the time, Sovereign had been the largest passenger ship afloat and Monarch nudged her out of the top-spot and became the largest passenger ship (not in size, but in capacity).

If you're a cruise ship junkie (like yours truly) it was quite impressive and I'll never forget it. :o

P.S.- I can only imagine what it must've been like when the Voyager O.T.S. & Explorer O.T.S. first "met". :)

I just got back on Sat (10-1). We did a boat tour of the famous houses and it sailed from Biscayne Market Place....

I have to say I have been on plenty of cruises but never have stayed near the port. I was so impressed with the Marketplace...OMG it was so nice, all the shops, the restaurants and just the setting was so nice.

Now, I have been to SoBe and totally love it there too, but I would love to stay near the port next time. We are going to book the Freedom for next year and will be staying near the port/Biscayne.

I couldn't get over how nice it was...to be honest when people mentioned it here, I thought what would be the big deal...must be a few shops..but I found it to be very nice...now I wouldn't stay at a hotel there for a week or so but a night or two would be fine.

Whenever I am in Miami for a cruise, I always stop at Mambo's Cafe for some great Cuban food. I am from LA and I am not a Mexican food fan and I can't find a Cuban restaurant that I like (Versailles - I don't like).

I also like the horse and buggy ride at Bayside.

If I had more time, next time, I would love to go to South Beach.

Photocruiser

We are staying at the Biscayne Bay Marirott and they offer free shuttle service to the port. We are getting 2 free breakfasts, but we booked a special that included 2 cocktails, 2 breakfasts and the shuttle service. I believe our room overlooks the bay.

Mary

We love both downtown and SoBe. We are staying at the Marriot Biscayne Bay pre cruise, don't want to have to schlep across town to the port the next day. Coming from So Cal you wouldn't think that an outdoor mall, like Bayside, would be unique to us, but it is. I love the atmosphere there. Post cruise we will be staying in SoBe, not sure exactly where yet. You do have to be careful where you stay. I expected alot more for $400 a night at the Tides last year. Location is great, the hotel is just "nice" not fabulous by any means. We've stayed at Eden Roc which was nice, but a good walk to the action. I refer to http://www.tripadvisor.com alot and some of the places that sound good with a good rate get terrible reviews, the Tides gets great reviews, soooo I'm a little aprehensive. (and probably putting way too much time into deciding :confused: )

Anyway, no matter where we stay, it can't take anything away from our cruise experience :D

Additionally, our hotel had a shuttle to the pier and free breakfast.

QUOTE]

Which hotel was this please?

It was the Courtyard Marriott. We got a pre-cruise special through the hotel for shuttle, king room, 2 breakfasts $109. This hotel is now also available on Priceline (it wasn't when we booked)- I think it is a 2.5 stars. We really liked this hotel, much better than the Hyatt that we stayed at after (though we got it though Priceline for $60)- the room at the Hyatt was nice but we didn't like the lobby, corridors, restaurants or staff....

I'm sorry to the poster who didn't like Versailles but for those who would like an authentic Cuban meal at a very reasonable price, I would highly recomend it. The only thing is, it is very far out on Calle Ocho- best if you have a rental car.

Cheers,

Archived