Coral Princess Mini-Suite Question

teedee

We're booked on the Panama Canal cruise for next year in a mini-suite on the Dolphin deck. Someone posted on another thread that they were not good cabins, but did not elaborate. Has anyone stayed in one of these cabins? If so what did you think about it? Our cruise is not until next March so we can change cabins if we want to. Thanks for any information.

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Jubilee - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess 3/05

I know a lot of people don't care for minisuites on the Dolphin deck because the balconies are uncovered.

However, as someone who has sailed with an uncovered balcony on the Dolphin deck I can say I found the balconies to be great!

Not sure if there are other issues, but I just wanted to chime in about the uncovered balconies icon_smile.gif

Roohound - Thanks for the quick reply. Actually I like the idea of an uncovered balcony. Seems like we would get more sun that way. If the weather was bad we probably wouldn't be out there anyway. Thanks again.

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Jubilee - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess 3/05

Another positive vote for Dolphin deck balconies. I like the 1/2 covered 1/2 uncovered - best of both worlds.

A word of caution however, for the Panama Canal.

The sun is brutal, as you are near the Equator, on the water, on a ship with a white superstructure. Use lots of sunscreen, and consider a hat, even if you normally don't wear one.

The first time I did the Panama Canal, I took way too much sun, and looked like a boiled lobster. I was so fascinated with the locks, the "electric mules", and all, that I was out all day without proper precaution.

Michael

We were on the Coral 10/30 in D403. I LOVED the cabin, yes it is partially uncovered, but it allows you to see above, below, forward and aft. It was a great feeling to see the Whole ship!! I'm a very talkative person so I got to know everyone around us. The only bad thing with this cabin is you want to be on the other side going thru the canal. That's where all the action was. Regardless, I would go back on the Dolphin Deck in a heart beat!!!

Enjoy...

A little off topic but I thought the one of the best ways to view the Canal (unless you had a really good "spot" forward) was to go all the way to the back of the passenger decks (we were on the Caribe Deck) and view the locks from the decks back there. Hardly anyone was back there and we could really see the locks up close. You can watch the man walk out and make sure they're closed. You can also watch them swing the car bridge into place after you pass. It seemed to me as if hardly any passengers knew that thesse decks were back there! We had balcony mini-suite (C717) pretty far aft and went out on the big open deck every night to watch the wake and have a glass of wine!

QE2 - 2000

Grand Princess - 2002

Coral Princess - 2004

Those also were great decks for viewing Alaska. We were on the Coral last Augustin a Mini suite on the Caribe deck and it was a "cruise critic" secret. No one really knew about it and we got great views of the glaciers, otters, and seals with very few people around. They also were covered unlike the pool deck, so with a blanket, and the nice deck chairs, we did great. Probably would be a great place to read and relax for the Canal as well.

We are also taking the Coral in November to the Canal and will be on Dolphin--are they partially or fully uncovered? We were on the Diamond in April and the decks were totally uncovered--perfect for the Mexican Riviera. I think they also are a little bit bigger on the balcony than the other decks--true? Looking forward to it.

By the way, does it really matter what side you are on for the Canal since you go up one way and come back the other so that on either side you should get the view whether it is coming or going,

We loved our D515 & D517 mini-suites on the Coral!! They were perfect, including the balconies! We also had the exposed balcony on the Grand Princess' mini-suites and loved that. Most people aren't out on their balcony for more than a few minutes. It never bothered us a bit. I like the fact that you don't feel closed in.

A WORD OF WARNING TO THOSE BOOKING 2 MINIS TOGETHER

NOT ALL Dolphin mini-suite balcony cabins have doorways in the balcony partitions. Beware if you're planning to have the cabin steward open the partition between your 2 cabins, as this is NOT an option on all minis. (Would hate for anyone to be disappointed.)

--------------------------

'04 Something-not sure what!

'04 Monarch of the Seas

'04 Coral Princess

'03 Monarch of the Seas

'02 Adventure of the Seas

'02 Ecstasy

'01 Radiance of the Seas

'01 Grand Princess

'01 Viking Serenade

'00 Grand Princess

'99 Viking Serenade

'98 Elation

Thanks everyone for all the information. We're not sailing until next March, but I'm already getting excited!

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Jubilee - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess 3/05

Archived