Which ship/itinerary to Alaska? (Milennium Drydock)

Wishing on a star

Total Alaska and Celebrity newbie, here.

We are looking ahead to Alaska 2017.

There is Millenium with Hubbard Glacier. One way.

And the sister ship Round Trip (no stop at Skagway)

Also I am wondering, and HOPING, that the Milennium would have to be better than the Coral Princess. (Also an older ship.) But, the Milennium is coming up for drydock in May, and I think I am hearing about wear and tear, rust, and even plumbing/sewage issues.

do you X-perts think that they will have the Milennium in much better shape after the drydock?

We are normally Celebrity cruisers and are looking at an Alaska trip possibly in 2017. I did a ton of research and everyone seems to say that Princess is the way to go because of their access to Glacier Bay and their land program.

Wondering if you've sailed Coral specifically because that is the one we're looking at!

Wishing on a star: I'm surprised that you seem to have negative thoughts about Princess in going to Alaska. Glacier Bay is by far the best part of the Alaska coastal cruise. And Alaska is far, far more than the coast and Anchorage. To say that you have been to Alaska only having taken a cruise and gone no further than Anchorage is a mistake. Be sure to arrange for a trip into the interior, either DIY or with a tour company, or a cruise line. For me, I have found the best of all worlds and have scheduled a northbound Princess cruise tour followed by a southbound cruise with X thus seeing all of the coastal glaciers and visiting each of the ports twice. And I don't make that long flight involving Anchorage. :D

We are doing Millie along with K.T.B. on May 27th, Vancouver to Seward. Both K.T.B. and I booked our cabins on opening day (although I changed mine from a Celebrity Suite to an Aqua 1 on the aft). This was under the old 1,2,3 go promos but booking early is the way to go IMHO. The price of this cruise has risen and the best cabin locations are long gone.

Alaska will be the first time for me that the ship and all that it offers is secondary to the ports of call. Having recently been on Connie (also an older M class) I can tell you that these ships are beautifully maintained so I have zero concerns about that.

For those waiting for the Beverage Package before booking - these one way cruises are 4 port days (Ketchikan, Icy Straight, Juneau, Skagway) with the ship departing late (8:00 p.m.) on two of those days. No way am I going to sit on the ship drinking if I can be out and about in Alaska. We are all different but I would not be one bit concerned about not having a Bev Pkg on this particular cruise. Just something else to consider. :D

Edited by Jane2357