Istanbul

Travelcat2

Wish that a new thread had been started because the feelings some of us have today is not the same as 6 months ago. We also feel very sad for all the people of Turkey as not only Istanbul is affected. Istanbul is one of our favorite cities in the world and it will be missed by many of us.

Having suicide bombers target international passengers is particularly troubling as it can happen anywhere in the world. As had been said many times before by many people, you can be killed crossing the street or standing in front of your home. After losing a friend on a cruise ship this year (Oceania - not Regent and the causes were natural), I realize more than ever that not only is life precious but sometimes facing the end of your life doing what you enjoy most is not such a bad thing. For the last 29 years, travel has been a big part of our lives and we are not going to let the terrorists of the world stop us.

In the meantime, our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those that were lost in Istanbul.

After today, it may be a long time before Istanbul is put back on thee ships schedules; especially for embarkation/debarkation.

Sad to see,

Marc

It is very difficult to make decisions like this. I charter a 747 aircraft every October and take it to Orlando with sick and disabled children on it. In the light of what has happened there recently do I cancel the charter and disappoint all those children?

It is terrible but we just don't know where these people are going to strike next.

After today, it may be a long time before Istanbul is put back on thee ships schedules; especially for embarkation/debarkation.

Sad to see,

Marc

Considering most cruise lines are now working on Itineraries for 2018, Istanbul won't in be a port of call until 2020 and that is if nothing else happens.

Its a shame because Istanbul, and all of Turkey, is such a wonderful area to see. So much history and culture. I feel so bad for the people that relied on Tourism.

12% of Turkeys GDP is from tourism. Very significant part of their economy.

1. SWMbI and moi are mainly Oceania 'investors' but since we've recently booked an Auckland-Perth voyage on Navigator we should have some skin in the Regent Game as well now.

2. Have spent some time in the Eastern Med and sandy locales about the place in earlier days, on the 'kings' Shilling so to speak tho' I am far older and crankier at present. Never the ever balmy and pleasant of terrain at all times, it behooved one to keep a watchful eye out, head swiveling and looking out for the always opportune pick-pocket threat - on up. So given Turkey's location, its active part in the Mid-East Demolition Derby (both ways) the attack yesterday on Ataturk Airport didn't surprise me. Dismay yes, surprise no.

3. I believe most if not all cruise lines have withdrawn their vessels (and their exorbitant insurance risks) from the Black Sea (thanks a lot Putin 'ol pal) and now the few remaining lines will likely drop Istanbul as a port call for the foreseeable future. Unfortunate as validated above since these ports have proven highly popular/lucrative for passengerw and cruise lines.

4. Given that a good many of the major European International Airports are a part of most cruise line's entry/exit plans I would expect that the travel and especially the cruise lines industry are going to become an increasing partner in safety planning for airport/port security in Europe and the Med at a minimum. It would not surprise me for travel agencies and cruise lines to begin advertising (albeit with subtlety) of the low risk of their offerings. Regardless, I believe it's going to have a noticeable effect on elective travel in the parts of the world that are most visibly at risk for terrorism.

5. We have reserved trans-Atlantic voyages on Oceania Riviera for the Fall of 2016 and 2017. From what I have seen on the Oceania threads and on their website is that the number of voyagers this year and next in the Med and trans-Atlantic voyages are down substantially from previous years. I would anticipate this trend will grow rather than recede in future years. Sad but likely true.

6. Most lovers of cruising will accept the risks to travel by sea, many curtailing the time they will spend pre-cruise in European Ports. Again sad but an increasing reality given the spreading reach of terrorism. When international airports in America start going bang I think the cruise industry will truly take a worse beating. I don't know what the answer is at present but I would truly hate to see Americans curl up behind locked doors and shiver in fear at what deviltry a very small number of ideologues might be capable of doing.

7. So we either use our brains working together and go after the terrorists giving them no rest or sanctuary using intelligence and pin-point tactics or we build walls which eventually will be either surmounted or undermined. Take your pick. But for sure, world travel will become increasingly risky for the hardy few who won't give in. As one of our posters said above, we've lived this long by our efforts and wits and we're not going to give up and scurry home out of inflated fears of the dark. :eek:

I would expect most on this and allied boards will travel, enjoy and return home with great memories - and sore necks. So beit!

JMBobB

Edited by JMBobB

Considering most cruise lines are now working on Itineraries for 2018, Istanbul won't in be a port of call until 2020 and that is if nothing else happens.

Its a shame because Istanbul, and all of Turkey, is such a wonderful area to see. So much history and culture. I feel so bad for the people that relied on Tourism.

12% of Turkeys GDP is from tourism. Very significant part of their economy.

I agree. The Turkish people are wonderful, the food is terrific, the history and culture most fascinating. I am saddened for my friends and acquaintances there whose livelihoods rely mostly on tourism.