Edinburgh Castle question

flamomo

I would like to do an excursion to Edinburgh Castle on an upcoming cruise, but in reading the descriptive info it says it a about a half mile uphill walk to get into it.

I would appreciate someone who has visited it telling me how steeply uphill the walk is.

My reason for wanting to know is that I am a reasonably mobile senior who lives in flat terrain Florida in a single story house, and rarely have to climb stairs or walk uphill. Not sure if this excursion would be doable for me.

Thanks for anything you can share to help me make this decision.

You don't HAVE to walk up. Get a bus or a taxi to the castle and then walk down. It's not all that steep in the scheme of things, but it is quite hard work.

If you want to explore the castle (it's worth it) you will have enough slopes, cobbles and stairs inside. You don't want to arrive tired.

Edited by Bob++

Thanks for the replies.

I'm in my mid 70s and my cruise friend is a couple of years younger, but fortunately neither of us have significant joint problems (so far!). I have no problems walking distances on flat surfaces, and if the slope is fairly gradual I think we will do okay if we take our time.

No taxi for us .... We'll be doing this as part of a ship's excursion and will have to start walking from wherever the bus parks, but I am not concerned about that part. I have done some fairly strenuous excursions on other cruises. LOL

For the most part, it's really more of a long, gentle, steadily upward slope than a steep hill. The walk can seem very long, especially if you're coming up from Holyrood Palace at the bottom end of the hill. (They don't call it the Royal Mile for nothing.;)) But there are lots of sights along the way, and ample opportunities for window-shopping (and for just plain shopping/ browsing), plus lots of pubs, cafes, restaurants, etc., to nip into for both liquid and solid refreshment. And then there are fascinating snickets (alleyways) to explore. You needn't make the walk into a brisk forced march unless you want to; most tourists seem to turn the peregrination into a gentle amble or even just a general milling-about.

And therein lies the problem, of a sort. It's not the length or steepness of the climb so much as the hordes of tourists milling about and fussing with their maps and mobile phones and getting in your way as you attempt to stride purposefully to your destination. The last stretch of the climb is pedestrianised, but take note that the road surface on the upper reaches is cobblestone.

But, to paraphrase the old Cunard slogan: Getting there is half the fun. Edinburgh is a fascinating city, and the castle is only a small part of it. Take your time and enjoy your visit!

PS. If you really want a climb, try going up Calton Hill. Or, better yet, Arthur's Seat!:D

Well it is uphill and I think it's fairly steep but it's certainly doable if you take it steady. If you look up Royal Mile on wikipedia, the photo there will give you an idea. The thing is though, that it's not that easy to get around inside the castle as there's cobbles and lots of different levels so slopes, stairs etc. However if you're fit and mobile you can just do it at your own pace.

My instinct is to recommend you take a taxi from the port which will drop you off as close as poss, then you can get an audio guide and take a leisurely stroll in and around the Castle at your won pace. As others have said, it is then downhill all the way past the other historic sites as far as The Palace of Holyroodhouse, our Queen's official residence in Scotland

I found a link to the castle's website and sent an email to ask about access to the castle. Here's the response:

If you wish to use the mobility vehicle, please, approach any of the staff upon your visit. No prior arrangements are necessary.

The vehicle will be able to drive you from the esplanade to the top of the castle and once you are done with your visit, the vehicle will drive you back down to the esplanade.

If you have any further questions, please, do not hesitate to ask.

Kindest regards,

Anna Marta