Thomson Spirit- Ancient Affair

• 4 weeks later...

Hi we have booked Jerusalem & the Dead Sea with http://www.GuidedTourslsrael.com it works out cheaper than booking with Thomson. They are a recognised company and all details can be found on their website & high ratings on Trip Advisor. Please review and form your own opinion.

We have read a review that due to them catering for smaller parties with local knowledge, they were able to pass through check points easier than large coaches, they were able to get closer to some of the attractions, than large coaches that had to park in designated zones requiring more leg work/walking, thus eating into your time. If you chose to join a smaller group we look forward to seeing you.

Jerusalem / Bethlehem is worth doing.

Masada / Dead Sea is worth it if you are in to history and ruins (Masada), although the extraordinary experience of a dip in the Dead Sea makes putting up with ruins all worth it.

Make sure you've a GPS app (with altitude) for your phone before you go to the Dead Sea. Then you can watch as your bus ventures down to 1200 feet BELOW sea level. Daft, I know, but a bit of fun!

The current prices of the Thomson trips seem to be somewhat more than I remember from a couple of years back. Might be worth looking at alternatives these days, as others have suggested.

• 1 month later...

I can really recommend Israel Guided Tours. Jerusalem and the Dead Sea will be a very long day. We did Jerusalem and Bethlehem with IGT and had a lovely day out. Our guide was very knowledgeable an enthusiastic. We met outside the ship and left before any of the large coaches. We were able to get further into Jerusalem than the coaches so this was easier for anyone with walking difficulties (though I wouldn't recommend the trip for anyone with serious walking difficulty). Israel was very different to what we had imagined and we would love to return one day. The second day we too the shuttle to Ashdod where we walked down to the beach and had a drink in one of the beachside cafes. Don't forget you will need shekels for cafes and ice-creams although the official shop we visited in Bethlehem took credit card. Enjoy your cruise:)

Israel is great, like I said before.

Been there again since and can vouch for the Jaffa / Tel Aviv trip. Interesting to see modern Israel (Tel Aviv) rather than all the ancient historic stuff.

Don't hold your breath about getting to Beirut - we didn't on the cruise a couple of weeks ago, which was disappointing, but we do understand it was beyond Thomson's control: a combination of weather and Lebanese bureaucracy.

Don't think that itinerary has ever got there (didn't in November), and I believe they may be dropping it as a port-of-call after this season. One chap in Horizons said it was his FOURTH attempt to get to Beirut and he still hasn't got there.

As it turned out we got to Haifa instead of one of the days in Ashdod, which was interesting. You don't know what a 'manicured' means until you've seen the Bahai gardens in Haifa: simply stunning.

Edited by The Collapsing Hrung
Addition