June Alaska excursion advice: Dogsled, kayaks, etc. with ship or independent?

KathiB

We are going on our first Alaska cruise June 22. It is on HA Volendam out of Vancouver, Wednesday to Wednesday. Our ports:

Fri, 6/24, Juneau, 1:00-10:00pm

Sat, 6/25, Skagway, 7:00 - 9:00pm

Mon, 6/27, Ketchikan, 10:00 - 6:00pm

Preliminary research has us wanting: Helicopter and dogsledding in Juneau, Whitehorse Train trip in Skagway, and possibly kayaking in Ketchikan. On previous Mediterranean cruises I have booked all tours and drivers myself and have not really done ship's excursions. We are in our 60s traveling with daughters 25 & 29. We are all fit and adventurous. We hope to have some really memorable experiences.

My questions are: What excursions do you recommend for these three ports? If we do the helicopter/dog sled tour in Juneau should we book with the ship or an independent company? I know any air tour can be cancelled due to weather so is it better to book that helicopter trip with the ship so that having a back up plan is easier? Any advice, recommendations, company names, etc. is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by KathiB
to add a sentence.

There are 3 vendors in Juneau who do glacier dog sledding. TEMSCO, ERA, Coastal The ship does not operate any of these tours. I would suggest you, figure out your back up plans before you go. Know what is available in Juneau, and have phone numbers handy for other tour opportunities, if your glacier dog sledding is canceled.

In Skagway it is the White Pass Railway. There are some excellent combo options to also consider, reading descriptions carefully. :) The round trip train is, of course excellent, and a "must" with an interest in trains and scenery.

I use Southeast Kayak the most in Ketchikan. Well run company.

Thank you. Settling on some kind of Heli/Dog sled combo in Juneau but would love recommendations for local companies. Also want to know if there would be time for an evening whale watching tour. In Ketchikan still looking for suggestions. Thank you!

Thank you. Settling on some kind of Heli/Dog sled combo in Juneau but would love recommendations for local companies. Also want to know if there would be time for an evening whale watching tour. In Ketchikan still looking for suggestions. Thank you!

I have flown with all those Juneau vendors for 8 trips, they are equal in my opinion, with well maintained equipment and having been in business for years. I'd booked based on availability and timing that suits your plans best.

You need to be careful with evening whale watches since some of them are shorter in duration. Time is significant- longer means more viewing opportunities. I'd still suggest you cobook these two tours, so you have a direct transfer, and try to get a full timed whale watch. You are there when there is a lot of daylight, so may be available.

Thanks Budget Queen. When you say "co-book" do you mean with the same company? I am not familiar enough to know if there are companies who do both. I have been reading about Orca for whale watching and then other companies for the Heli/dogsled excursion. It would be great to do the Heli/Dogsled first then the whale watching later since we are in port until 10:00pm. That time of June will have very long days indeed. Thanks.

Thanks Budget Queen. When you say "co-book" do you mean with the same company? I am not familiar enough to know if there are companies who do both. I have been reading about Orca for whale watching and then other companies for the Heli/dogsled excursion. It would be great to do the Heli/Dogsled first then the whale watching later since we are in port until 10:00pm. That time of June will have very long days indeed. Thanks.

No, vendors are specific. BUT they will transport for each other- which is what is essential. I suggest you call and tell them, you want both tours. Then go with their recommendations.

I know Orca Enterprises is very good at arranging combo tours. Consider contacting them by phone and see what they can offer you?

Thanks Budget Queen. You are super helpful. We may go ahead and do that. I have checked into all three Heli tour companies. Looks like we can easily do a whale watching tour around 5:30 or so.

For Ketchikan, the cruise ship has some really interesting tours but I do not want to pay cruise ship prices. Can you recommend anything active and fun for our family there. We are considering renting a car and exploring on our own. But would love suggestions. Thank you.

For Ketchikan, the cruise ship has some really interesting tours but I do not want to pay cruise ship prices. Can you recommend anything active and fun for our family there. We are considering renting a car and exploring on our own. But would love suggestions. Thank you.

What tours did you find of interest? http://www.visit-ketchikan.com