CB--Special Dining

BigTimeCruiser

This is a short review of the two Special Dining locations on the Caribbean Princess visited during our 3 week, B2B2B. This review is strictly my opinion.

Sabatini's Trattoria--Deck 7---We made a reservation for 7:30pm on one of the formal nights at Sabatini's. The restaurant wasn't crowded at all. We were offered a wide varity of drinks, however ice tea is not available. No bread was offered by the wait staff until we asked. This had to be an exception since all other tables had bread. Our waitress offered a seafood samplier as her recommendation. The biggest surprise was how fast the Antipasti, Pizza, Zuppe, and Insalata were brought to the table. We noticed that they were attempting to serve 6 or more tables these items at the same time, no matter if you were ready or not. Some of the items were not hot. By 8:00pm Sabatini's began to fill up. Although it was formal night, 4 tables had passengers dressed in smart casual attire. Our main course, the seafood samplier arrived a bit cold. It contains a smaller shrimp than you think would be Tiger Prawns. The desserts were truly outstanding. So, IMO how did Sabatini's compare to similar fine dining experiences on other Princess and non-Princess ships? My evaluation would be that it is not the same. The atmosphere isn't as elegant; it's a little noisy and the service is not as professional. The food is no comparison either. All in all, my rating on a scale of 1 to 5 would be a 3.

Sterling Steak House--Deck 7--We made a reservation for 7:00pm on one of the smart casual evenings. The steak house was pretty full when we arrived. The head waiter seated in a very nice location. We each selected different steaks. I had the 10oz Filet Mignon and my wife had the Ribeye. We had shrimp cocktail which is excellent and the Spinach and Artichoke dip, also excellent. When our steaks arrived, they were hot; smelled and tasted outstanding. The coffee is outstanding and so is the Chocolate Pecan Pie. The Head Waiter did an excellent job of ensuring that all the needs and desires of the passengers were met or exceeded. He is to be commended for his positive and professional attitude and action. My evaluation of the Sterling Steak House to other similar fine dining experiences on Princess and non-Princess ships would be OUTSTANDING!!! While the atmosphere could be improved with a few less glass windows where passenger walking by outside look in on your dinner, overall this dining establishment should not be missed. My rating from 1 to 5 is a 5. :) :) :) :) :)

Thank you for your review. I've been to Sabattinis for a Captain's lunch but haven't been tempted for dinner. However, we did the Sterling Steakhouse on the Royal Princess and like you, we had an OUTSTANDING experience. The service was top-notch (the way it would be in a truly fine restaurant; they even retrieved my BILs wine from the dining room to serve during dinner) and the food was superb. Loved the French Onion soup -- it was almost a meal by itself. The steak (I had the petit filet mignon) was exactly the way I ordered it. It was definitely worth the extra cost. I can't wait to go back. :)

BigTimeCruiser,

I'm keeping up with your various postings on your recent B2B2B on the CB.

Had you dined in Sabatini's previously? I ask that because DH and I were less impressed with the entire experience - food quality, service, ambiance - the second time around. On the Star (our first Princess cruise, Mexican Riviera, 3/02), we thought Sabatini's was truly amazing - one of our best-ever travel dining experiences. We were less than ecstatic the following year in the same restaurant on the Golden. We skipped it entirely on the Grand and CB and probably won't do it again.

DH and I discussed the "fishbowl" environment of Sterling Steakhouse on the CB. Draperies or mini-blinds would provide more privacy from the steady stream of gawkers during the busy dinner hours onboard. Our steaks there were every bit as good as Ruth's Chris, JWs (Marriott), and the jumbo shrimp cocktail was awesome, but we thought the rest of the meal was so-so. Sterling's isn't on our CB agenda in January, 2006.

I'll look forward to additional threads about your three weeks aboard the Caribbean Princess.

Chris

We've been to Sabatini's twice before on other ships, and found the food and service to be outstanding. However, the quantity of food (even if you only take one bite of everything) is far too much, and we do not intend to go again. Gluttony is not one of our core values!:)

My husband and I are starting to do our homework for our 10/29 CB sailing.

What is the cover charge for Sterlings?

When DH and I sailed the CB in January, Sterling Steakhouse was $15; Sabatini's was $20 (per person cover charge).

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Archived