Family-friendly/Foodie excursions in Old San Juan

PGPrendy

Hello fellow cruisers! Please share your best Old San Juan excursion ideas/advice/suggestions. Although our Southern Caribbean cruise is one year away, I am a planner, so I've been looking at options for our day in Old San Juan! We will be traveling as a family of 5... three adults, one 6-year-old, and one 1-year-old. We will be in Puerto Rico from 3pm until 10pm. Based on my research, so far, I think that I'd like to visit either Aguaviva restaurant or Inaru restaurant, or both, if possible, and I'd like for us to explore Old San Juan. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

Just curious to see if you've found anything since you posted this. I'm looking for something similar - local flair, local food, maybe some good music/dancing. Our daughter will be 9, and she is very interested in cooking so I was hoping to be able to find something that would interest her.

• 2 weeks later...
Just curious to see if you've found anything since you posted this. I'm looking for something similar - local flair, local food, maybe some good music/dancing. Our daughter will be 9, and she is very interested in cooking so I was hoping to be able to find something that would interest her.

Haven't received much feedback on this question on these boards, but I've been researching excursions, and see some foodie options on viator.com. We haven't yet decided to reserve any of those, but I have seen a number of options there.

I was actually looking at San Juan options online today. I think we're going to skip a formal excursion and book parasailing on our own (our daughter is a bit older than your little ones) and then hit up a place called Casa Cortes, a chocolate bar/food art museum. What kid doesn't love chocolate? At the very least, we'll have a treat to enjoy on our walk back to the pier.

I was actually looking at San Juan options online today. I think we're going to skip a formal excursion and book parasailing on our own (our daughter is a bit older than your little ones) and then hit up a place called Casa Cortes, a chocolate bar/food art museum. What kid doesn't love chocolate? At the very least, we'll have a treat to enjoy on our walk back to the pier.

Sounds like fun! Yeah, Old San Juan seems like a port you can enjoy without a formal excursion. Enjoy!

Have you done one of their tours? I hate that they never tell you what types of food you'll be trying. Just curious as to what they give you on the tour.

I've done three. The lunch tour takes you to a place for fish tacos (some of the most delicious grouper I've ever had) then on to a place for mofongo (made with yucca) then to a place for flan for dessert and a coffee place.

We've also done the rum/dinner tour, which focuses on different foods and lots of rum, which you may not want to do with kids.

Paulina, the owner, is very friendly and will be flexible, I'm sure, if there's something you want. Take a look at their website and their reviews on TripAdvisor.