Carnival Excursion San Juan

mumtopugs

Hello! Has anyone done the "History behind the walls walking tour?" I would normally not worry about the physical requirements but I'm going to be about 22 weeks pregnant. I have first trimester exhaustion and I'm hoping to feel better by then. I wonder, in your opinion, was it a lot of hills and stairs? How many miles approximately?

I posted here in addition to the San Juan board since each tour can be different and I would like feedback on Carnival's tour specifically.

Thanks for any insight you have.

Ashley

We did not take this particular excursion, but we did visit San Cristobal on our own. Yes there are some steps, but it's really not difficult. Mostly you just wander around on your own at your own pace.

From my perspective, this is an easy DIY port. When you get off at the pier, there are many taxi touristas and "The Happy Bus" that will do a nice 60-90 minute drive around New San Juan and the Capitol for about $20. They drop you in the Old San Juan shopping area, which is right at the base of San Cristobal ($5 entry covers both forts). From there, it's an easy 10 minute walk to the pier.

Have fun!

(Oh, and try to be on the starboard side for sail-away. Very pretty!)

My son and I did the "History Behind The Walls Tour" last Feb when we were on the Glory. It is a tour that requires a lot of fairly long distance walking and it was interesting. When my wife and I was there in Dec 2014 on the Breeze we did the Segway tour (2 hrs) that was offered by Old San Juan Segway Tours (segwaytourspr.com) and it was fantastic and a lot more informative. But with you being in the motherly way at 22 months Segway's are probably not going to work for you.

Edited by Shellback

I think San Juan is an easy port to navigate on your own. There is a free trolley / bus ride that takes you around to the major sights of the city, you just have to be patient for it to arrive. It stops at both forts with a fee of $5.00 for entrance to both forts. Unless you want someone to provide an ongoing history of the city, you really can do this on your own. It is humid inSan Juan, but there is a refreshing breeze near the forts.

Thanks for all the input! Starfish, which cruise are you on? We are in the Splendor 4/10. Shellback, I think you're right and I will avoid the segways this time around [emoji6] The trolleys or the bus sound like a good alternative. I'm already struggling with just the stairs in my home. Being pregnant at 38 is much different than the first time 20 years ago!! [emoji99]