Is Caye Caulker similar to Isla Mujeres?

Karlie1

We spent the day on Isla Mujeres several years ago. Rented a golf cart and had a blast. This will be our 4th trip to Belize. First time we walked into town, then did horse and carriage around town. Last 2 times stayed in port. Like to try Caye Caulker if it is like Isla. Concern is there and back on time.

I've been to Isla and loved the island, but I've not been out to Caulker.

The closest comparison to Isla I've seen are parts of the far side of Roatan, Honduras. They are sleepy and relaxed, spanish speaking. Still, Roatan is quite a bit larger and has more traffic in town.

Still, if you speak fluent spanish.... could be fun to explore.

Good luck. hopefully someone familar with Caulker will help you out. Wish I could.

We have been to Roatan 4 times. The West side is very laid back with small shopping area that has dining and drinks, especially at Half Moon Bay . I did not feel Isla on Roatan. Some of the best snorkeling and coral I have ever experienced was in Roatan. Isla is about 6 miles long and 3/4 mile wide at widest point. Has beautiful beaches, small quaint Village, hotels and wonderful restaurants. Loved the food and view from Jaxs. We took ferry from cancun then rented a golf cart for day($40). Wonderful day.

We spent the day on Isla Mujeres several years ago. Rented a golf cart and had a blast. This will be our 4th trip to Belize. First time we walked into town, then did horse and carriage around town. Last 2 times stayed in port. Like to try Caye Caulker if it is like Isla. Concern is there and back on time.

Caye Caulker is tiny. Most walk around the Village. Some will rent bikes. You can rent a golf Cart, but I think that would be a waste.

San Pedro on the other hand, a golf cart would be great for exploring.

Isla Mujeres and Caye Caulker are somewhat similar but so very different. They are not that different in size (except that the Split divides CC in two), but IM is a great island to tour in a cart as mentioned, and we have some favorite restaurants and bars we look forward to both in town and outside town. Gorgeous east coast shoreline and we enjoy spending some time in Playa Norte meeting others and having drinks. CC is a nice, walkable place and we didn’t see all of it because we spent time at the Lazy Lizard and the Split. But not the same experience for sure. We’ve read great reports of folks staying in cabanas and enjoying the nightlife there, and plan to return as part of a land vacation since we’ll be living just 5 hours to the north at some point.

I don't think that Roatan is like IM, friends compared West End and Half Moon Bay to how Key West may have looked decades ago except WE is in a bay. But a very rustic spot and unique in itself. Each of these are different and worth visiting so you can experience the places for yourself.