Any advice for traveling as a transitioning transgender?

tinybiny

Asking for someone else, but she will be traveling with a passport with the old name and gender. I'm sure DCL will be fine, but wondering about the passport for Vancouver and an excursion that will go into Canada (train in Skagway). She could pass for either gender at this point, but does not look like the passport picture and won't be getting a new one by then. I searched the Gay/Lesbian forum here, but didn't see anything in my limited search. The "T" is such a small community. It's really hard to find any information.

Also, I suggested that she tell her room host, but she doesn't want to. I read you can have a preferred name listed on your info.

Why would she need to tell her room host anything? Many people go by a name other than their given name...and honestly, he isn't likely to call her by name except on embarkation day when he looks at his list and makes his introduction. And the room host could care less. They have probably seen it all after a few contracts!

As to advice, if your friend doesn't have a problem with the choice they have made or feel a need to explain themselves at every step, why would anyone else? They have a legal passport--use it. If they are not comfortable and are falling over themselves trying to explain things...yeah, that could be a problem for all around them.