Rodoeste buses in Funchal,Madeira

Yes, Rodoeste bus will get you there. All buses go from Avenida Do Mar near the waterfront, just different stops for different destinations. Taxi can be negotiated in advance, its not far may be 15-20 min away from waterfront so may be 30-40 euro for R/T.

However for short amount of time ship stops there I'd rather suggest to go on excursion where you'll see places that are not accessible by public transit and things beyond Funchal including overview of Camara Da Lobos, Cabo Girao, etc Try contacting madeirahappytours.com online and make some arrangements. They do inexpensive cruise tours all the time.

My parents have been all over Madeira on buses. Easy to use, cheap fares. Last visit they walked from Funchal to Camara and caught a bus back.

Taxis are everywhere and they will do a half day tour including Camara, Cabo Girao etc.

Yes its possible to get to Camara on Funchal city bus #1 (Linha Verde), get off at Hotel Orka, go down and walk along the sea promenade. However that'll take long time, probably over 1 hr or more. City bus is slow and stops a lot but the advantage is seeing all big hotels along the way. IMHO there is not much to see in Camara, its claim to fame is multicoloured fishing boats, drying fish on the sticks and that W.Churchill painted it.

I've created a small album from my 2012 pixs https://picasaweb.google.com/104501985950388024465/Jan212016

Funchal proper has things to see like couple of nice municipal parks with exotic flowers, botanical gardens, Monte and market. All in walking distance from port except Monte.

Edited by hkto

• 4 weeks later...
I am also wondering about doing the Nuns Tour but the hair pin bends is a bit off putting!!!

We are on Thomson Majesty on 22nd March (Colourful Coasts) and will be calling at Madeira. A friend's uncle has a villa in Madeira and on his advice we have arranged a private tour there with danielmadeirataxis.com. He was so helpful and took note of all we wanted to see (Monte, cable car, Nuns Valley etc) and has put together a 7 hour private tour to visit:

Pico dos Barcelos, Eira do Serrado, Camara de Lobos, Cabo Girao, Garaja, Pico do Arieiro and Monte.

The tour will end in Monte to give us time to explore there before catching the cable car down into Funchal. We will then wander around there and either walk back to the ship or take a taxi (about Euros 10).

The cost of this full day excursion is Euros 140 for all four of us - far cheaper than the ship's shore excursion.

Daniel will arrange half day tours if you wish - just let him know what you want to see and he will customise something for you.

Good Luck with your plans.

Suzanne