Infants in swimming pool

chrob

I must say I am quite surprised by the responses I am reading here. They are getting rather nasty. I would simply like to add that you should probably be more concerned about the older kids who are toilet trained and are having too much fun to get out of the pool to use the rest room. I am also sure that there are plenty of adults that do this too.

These cruise ships were built for passengers of all ages and thus should be able to be enjoyed by all. I assume there is a reason there is an adults only pool.

Either way, please try to be respectful of the other posters here - I am actually rather hurt that I have been singled out and "attacked" (and not even for a post to this discussion).

Please be considerate to your fellow posters (and cruisers).

I have not seen nasty replies. In fact we have tried everything in the book to try to enlighten parents to the fact of bacteria. Until, that is, the remark that because full price was paid, safety wasn't important, and we did not make that remark. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sue
7 days on Star Princess 10/24

From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention web site:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Pool Closures... Fecal accidents are a concern and an inconvenience to both pool operators and patrons. Pool operators should carefully explain to swimmers the need to close the pool in response to a fecal accident for their own health and safety. Pool closures allow chlorine to do its job and protect your swimmers from RWIs (Recreational Water Illnesses).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please be considerate to your cruise mates. Don't be the one who allows their child in diapers to be the reason for this sign to be posted:

[img]http://www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming/images/pool_closed.jpg[/img]

I appoligize if you misunderstood what I had written in my post above but please tell me where I said that others safety and health was unimportant? I don not feel that way and if you thought that was my opinion then I am sorry you misunderstood me.

I do, however, feel that if a passenger is paying the same fare - no matter what their age - they should be able to enjoy their cruise as much as the next person. I also agree that allowing people (of any age) to use the pool as a toilet is unacceptable which is why concerned parents (such as myself) will generally double diaper their children with a disposable swim diaper and then a plastic swim diaper.

I am sure that there are parents who don't do this and I am sure that there are parents who leave their kids in the same swim diaper all day but most of us don't do that.

As I said before - the issue is not only with toddlers and again, I am taking this a bit personally because I don't think I did anything to provoke you guys - like I said I was singled out from another discussion altogether and simply made a comment about fares and what those fares include - which is not just room and board but also use of the ships ammentities.

[This message was edited by Pshkbb on 04-29-04 at 10:52 PM.]

I don't swim in public pools , period. There are many reasons including the whole swim diaper thing....
I saw some guy who was sweating like a pig on his lounger get up and dive in the pool. Gee thanks, I can't wait to take a nice refreshing swim in your sweat.
Kids of ALL AGES pee in the pool, as well as drunk adults.
I get up and shower off in the shower (WITH my rubber thongs on thank you very much [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]) to cool off periodically.
Same thing with the jacuzzi. I now its got tons of chemicals to kill bacteria, but it just grosses me out. I can't help it.

Suzanne
Oceanic '82
Oceanic '83
Century '01
Century '03
Millennium '03
Island Princess '04
Thanksgiving on the Millie '04

I am sorry but for the life of me I cannot understand why any parent would take the responsibility of possibly making other passengers, children as well as adults, including their own children, sick because they paid full price for a cruise. I am not attacking anyone. I just don't understand it. I guess i just care about people.

Sue

There actually [I]is[/I] a kids pool[img]http://brobertson.org/photos/grand-kid-pool.jpg[/img] This is only part of it. There is also another part that is more like a fountain there the little ones can splash about. Lots of good fun.

The Grand class ships are quite large with spaces AND pools for everyone, the pee-ers and non-pee-ers both.

This reminds me, there are 2 kinds of divers, the ones that pee in their wet-suit and those that lie about it. Which kind are you?

<font color="FF6600">
if there's a way to construe my post as non-argumentative, please do so.</font>
Cruise photos on my [url="http://www.brobertson.org/"]Home page [/url]<font color="990066">
Spring Break was on the Grand Princess </font>21, March 2004
So when is the next cruise?

From: [url="http://www.princess.com/onboard/answer/kids.html"]http://www.princess.com/onboard/answer/kids.html[/url]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
We have a special place in our hearts for kids aboard our ships. Now more than ever! Nearly every ship in our fleet has a dedicated Youth and Teen Center with oceans of activities offered and supervised by our professional staff. The following information details why cruising is kid's play with Princess.

A BOATLOAD OF FUN
When you cruise on Crown, Regal, Sun, Dawn, Ocean, Sea, Grand, Golden, Coral, Island, Diamond, and Star Princess, you will find completely equipped Youth and Teen Centers. There is everything from arts and crafts corners, games tables, movies and splash pools to Teen Centers with ping-pong tables, jukeboxes and all the latest video games.

[I]The Sun, Dawn, Sea, Ocean, Grand, Coral, Island, Diamond, Star and Golden Princess even offer a toddlers' play area, a splash pool, computers, and video games.[/I] And for teens, special hideouts -Cyberspace, The Fast Lane, Wired and Off Limits - are guaranteed to give them the time of their lives. [I]In addition to all these features, on Grand Princess and Golden Princess, kids will also enjoy their own deck space with a whale's tail splash pool. And teens have a separate jacuzzi and deck area made just for them.[/I] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pshkbb,

Problem solved... only allow your child to swim in the pool specifically
designated for toddlers. (since you are "paying FULL PRICE for a toddler
they should be allowed to enjoy all the amenities of the ship"...
THIS IS THEIR "AMENITY" FOR SWIMMING!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I do, however, feel that if a passenger is paying the same fare - no matter what their age - they should be able to enjoy their cruise as much as the next person <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I agree with you 100%. And I know that if you see signs saying kids in diapers are not allowed in any of the main pool that you will obey that rule just like we'd expect other passengers to obey all other Princess rules that affect passengers' comfort.

I have asked this before, why would you bring a toddler on a cruise????? <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pshkbb:
salty dawg,

nothing personal - I understand people's reluctance to swiming with kids in swim diapers however when you are paying FULL PRICE for a toddler they should be allowed to enjoy all the ammentities of the ship as well as the rest of the passengers. Plus these days - swim diapers are made really well and don't leak - it is really a matter of the parents keeping a close eye and making sure to get their child out of the pool and changing those diapers on a regular basis....

K<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3/9/05 Eastern Caribbean
Sun Princess

I think this dead horse has been beat to death on every public discussion group about cruising that exists on the entire WWW!!

Suzanne
Oceanic '82
Oceanic '83
Century '01
Century '03
Millennium '03
Island Princess '04
Thanksgiving on the Millie '04

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Wow...that poor horse!!!

I can answer the question "why bring a toddler on a cruise?". Honestly speaking, cruising has become one of the only family-friendly and pocketbook friendly vacations. While I did not cruise when my children were toddlers or in diapers, mine are still pretty young, and I can say that a cruise gives you the most bang for your buck. A great kid's program (ages 3 and over), pools, fun ports of call with great beaches, good food (and lots of options for picky eaters) and evening kid's dinners so mom and dad can have some alone time. The parents can get massages, dress up in their nicest clothes and see a show. There are very few vacation options that can do all this for one relatively reasonable price. Believe me...I've looked into all-inclusives and they are VERY expensive, most resorts charge a fortune for their kid's clubs on a daily basis and Disney (well, how many times can you go to Disney!!!) OK...so we've been to Disney a lot but it is truly expensive as well. The cruise industry has begun to position itself, and well I might add, as a family vacation. When bringing children along parents do have to make sacrifices (we missed the champagne waterfall, left Island Night early, etc) because the kids can't stay up all hours of the night. But it really does afford us some valuable alone time without having to leave the kids hundreds of miles away [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img].

I think there are definitely challenges when bringing infants and toddlers, but I see no reason why they shouldn't go. But that's just my humble opinion. As for the pool issue, I have to say that I think if the child has double diapers (swim diaper with a plastic cover) that should be sufficient. The swim diapers alone aren't great, but those plastic covers are really good!

OK...I know that poor horse is already dead but I couldn't resist adding my own thoughts to this thread. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Cheers!

[This message was edited by AmyBeth68 on 04-30-04 at 09:42 AM.]

Well I thought the horse was dead too. To each his own I say. As for me, I will stay at the adult pool and won't have to dodge any baby ruth's [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Grand Princess 4/4/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I saw a film on teaching toddlers to swim at 6 months. Potential olympic champs in the training.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Since they were "swimming" in the womb...
should we send them back to familiar waters?

You are kidding, aren't you????<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pshkbb:
salty dawg,

nothing personal - I understand people's reluctance to swiming with kids in swim diapers however when you are paying FULL PRICE for a toddler they should be allowed to enjoy all the ammentities of the ship as well as the rest of the passengers. Plus these days - swim diapers are made really well and don't leak - it is really a matter of the parents keeping a close eye and making sure to get their child out of the pool and changing those diapers on a regular basis....

K<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3/9/05 Eastern Caribbean
Sun Princess

We are used to it, and we do it. I have children, grandchildren, and two great grandchildren who all cruise. They love it and I love it. When the children are with me, they do not use the pools. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sue

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Cruising is the very best family vacation there is, bar none. Hence the kids programs, kids meals, kids playrooms, [I]kids pools[/I], little kid sized robes, etc., etc.,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since that is the case, why don't the parents spend time with their children in these venues which are specifically designed to be "kid friendly"? The camaraderie & tolerance of "kids being kids" is expected there so both parents & children would find complete acceptance in those zones.

We equate it to the "smoking/no smoking allowed" designated sections on the ship which were instituted in consideration for the health, safety & comfort of all passengers. Maybe the cruise ships need to post "children allowed/no children allowed" designated sections for the same reasons. (Seems like that is what the "kid zone" was intended for but they may need to publicize the fact!)

We are not anti-children or anti-smoking but appreciate the concept of having specific areas on the ship set aside for such "pleasures". That way those who don't want to be exposed to such "hazards" don't have to be!

[img]http://members.tripod.com/~robertpetzel/simpsons.gif[/img]

Archived