Seabourn revamps dining options, introduces new wine program (10/05/2005)

uk1

FORT LAUDERDALE -- Luxury operator Seabourn is the latest cruise line to tweak its wine and casual dining options.

The inside-outside Veranda Cafe on Seabourn’s three ships will undergo a refit during the vessels’ upcoming drydocks that will pave the way for a new evening restaurant concept called “2,” the line’s president, Deborah Natansohn, said during a session at the Cruise Lines International Association’s Cruise3sixty event here.

The kitchen will prepare a nightly tasting menu of small-plate pairings that will make up a five- or six-course meal. For instance, the evening might start with a pairing of spring rolls and a soba noodle and seaweed salad, and move on to a combo of grilled striped bass and braised short ribs. The restaurant will remain Seabourn’s casual evening option.

“We’re trying to cater to more modern tastes,” Natansohn said.

Seabourn also introduced wine packages for passengers who want to purchase wines above and beyond the complimentary selection offered onboard. The packages will come in two levels: The Silver menu, priced at $150, allows purchasers to select three bottles off of a premium list of wines. The Gold menu, for $300, allows passengers to choose six bottles off a slightly longer list.

Natansohn said the wines on the list would be less expensive on Seabourn compared to a list prices on land.

Full Text (requires login):

http://www.travelweekly.com/articles.aspx?articleid=48490

Jeff

The concept of "2" is that there will be pairings within each smaller courses, such as a lobster dish with black truffles and a seafood souffle with white truffles, or white and dark chocolate desserts. It sounds like the food quality in the former Veranda is going to be substantially improved.

The main dining room is going to have a total of 50 new dishes within the 28 day menu rotation.

The wine programs can be chosen before the cruise or while on board.

I think these are three wonderful ways to improve on what was already the best.

I really commend Natansohn for thinking of creative changes that will attract a younger, affluent crowd that will ensure Seabourn's future while trying not to alienate the company's current loyal base. So far, she's been right on the money, although not all of her ideas would appeal to me personally (e.g., personal shopper).

I really like the idea of offering a distinctly different menu in the veranda, as it provides another venue for choice. I think younger, less formal diners may well enjoy this change, while leaving the dining room available for the more traditional Seabourn dining experience. I also think the ability to purchase pairings of fine wines is excellent, while not requiring it. Considering the small size of the triplets, this is a wonderful opportunity to try new things, and to truly have an alternative dining experience. Bravo, Seabourn! Denyse

Archived