just drive me around on the water while I drink, please!

violetsmile

We've been to St. Thomas once before, and did a chartered sloop (Island Girl) that took us to Turtle Cove for snorkeling. It was a really fun experience, we were the only two he took out that day, so it was very private. We might do it again, but I'm looking around for other options. Because it was just the two of us, I felt like we were being watched and had to be entertaining, interesting or engaging--which neither of us wants to do on vacation (we're both pretty quiet introverts). I'd like to fade into the background a little, but also not have a riotous party atmosphere, either.

We've got beach time, ethnic food time, and adventure time in our other ports, so mostly what we're looking for in St. Thomas is to be on a boat close to the water (so, not the cruise ship), maybe get off and snorkel, or float around, see pretty things, and have a few drinks. Seriously, we both love being out on the water so much that if we could just hire someone to drive us around and show us gorgeous views and talk to us occasionally about the history/culture/sites while we soak up the sun and the rum, with an option to jump in the water periodically, we'd be pretty happy. I've found a lot of places that will charter you a boat for half the day, but we're not interested in paying that kind of money for just the two of us. We'll happily go on a smaller group excursion, but aren't looking for 50+ people on a catamaran kind of experience.

Any recommendations for a company providing something with a low key, on-the-water atmosphere like this? We're in port from 11:00 - 7:00.

Your port times remove almost all of the excellent shared (cheaper) daysails we would recommend. That leaves the private optionsthat do cost quire a bit. However if you find 2 other couples in your roll call you not only make it much more affordable, but have others to help entertain!

Another option is the champagne cat offered through the ship - is that an option for you?

Just an update for you all--

After days of communicating with a variety of charters, I just ended up booking with VI Cat. The later port arrival didn't work for a single company's full day sail, and most won't share or combine groups for a half-day sail. You just have to charter the whole boat or have a minimum of four people. Since a full boat charter is out of the budget, we're only two people, and our roll call is dead (I did try), I just made the decision to book a bigger (but still independent) tour. From the reviews on TA, I think it's still smaller than the cruise ship excursions, and seems like it will suit us ok.

That said, if they had had space,the closest to what we were looking for would have been with Fury Charters. I wish I had started looking early enough to book there. Finally, I also want to put in a good work for Capt. Jim at Jester Sailing Adventures. He was the nicest to me, recommended other charters to try, and seemed to really want me to have a good time while in St. Thomas. Many of the other responses were brusque, or acting like I was stupid for even asking to share a half-day sailing.

I am sure we'll have a great time, and even though it's maybe not exactly what we wanted, we'll be on the ocean, in the sun...with some rum! Nothing bad about that!