Kids dress code for dinner?

loricfam

I think that's probably true with things like suggested formal attire. I do think the "shorts are not appropriate" is pretty direct, but they don't really want to have to turn their employees into fashion police, and many passengers are stubborn, so they are probably somewhat giving up on people paying attention even to directly worded language.

Reasonable assessment. And I don't think gym clothes are appropriate at dinner time, but, seriously, no one is going to bat an eye at a 9 year old girl or give the family a hard time.

Formal night only exists on Royal Caribbean for photo opportunities. Nothing more. There is absolutely nothing done on Royal's part to make the evening any different from any other night. If you want a dressed up family portrait or enjoy dressing up for the sake of it, have at it. But if you don't, don't. The only reason to do it is for your own personal reasons because the cruise line doesn't do their part.

Every day I get older. I am married. I recognize the suggestion or what it is; a descriptor to an international client base so that they understand the terminology used. It is not a polite order. If it were, they would be much more direct and use words like "this is what is required" they don't. they are too busy hanging purple pandas and water slides off their ships and throwing in fast food burgers to get families to book.

I disagree that it is not a polite order, that is how I and most other have interpreted it. I certainly don't enjoy bringing the extra clothes and would be happy if they did away with it, but if there is a dress code then I feel obligated to follow it and have never understood people who don't feel the same way.

But that is a good point about the slide and burgers. So the question then becomes, why do they still have formal nights?

The only reason to do it is for your own personal reasons because the cruise line doesn't do their part.

Interesting perspective. What would you think the cruise line should do to "do their part" and make the evening worthy of dressing up?

Just curious. In general, I think most dress-up occasions exist just because someone wants to call it a dress-up occasion.

We are taking our first RCI cruise in March. My husband and I are set with the smart casual/formal night dress code, but what about kids? I have a 12 yo son and 9 yo daughter. On the non-formal nights can they wear shorts to dinner in the MDR? My 12 yo son basically lives in basketball shorts. He owns one pair of dress pants (from Christmas) that he will wear on the formal nights. I'm really hoping the dress code is only for adults and that kids can wear shorts in the MDR!

Are you asking if you son can wear gym clothes, which is gym shorts and a t-shirt, because it would seem awkward to wear a dress shirt or polo shirt with gym pants. Have him wear jeans and a nice polo, and since 12 years old is old enough to understand, tell him what to wear.

Dress codes are for everyone, except maybe infants.

I disagree that it is not a polite order, that is how I and most other have interpreted it. I certainly don't enjoy bringing the extra clothes and would be happy if they did away with it, but if there is a dress code then I feel obligated to follow it and have never understood people who don't feel the same way.

But that is a good point about the slide and burgers. So the question then becomes, why do they still have formal nights?

To sell photos, IMO.

Interesting perspective. What would you think the cruise line should do to "do their part" and make the evening worthy of dressing up?

Just curious. In general, I think most dress-up occasions exist just because someone wants to call it a dress-up occasion.

I'd like to see the return of a true midnight buffet on formal nights. Live musical entertainment in the dining rooms. captains speeches in the dining rooms, perhaps champagne toasts in the Centrum or Promenade. The menus should stand out above and beyond the run of the mill. Perhaps offer venues with classical style dancing on formal evenings because some may enjoy that sort of thing.

IMO, they have made formal night a shadow of it's former being, and in doing so exposed that it is nothing more than a label to sell photos.

If people enjoy dressing up for the heck of it, they do not need a newsletter to prompt them as to the appropriate day when nothing else about the day signifies much of anything. It's just marketing babble now. It means nothing. There's no incentive offered by the cruise line to participate.

Interesting. Midnight buffet seems irrelevant. At least on my last cruise, the first formal night coincided with the "Captain's Welcome Aboard Reception" which included champagne, so that sounds like one of your items that you think is missing. They do reserve certain "special" menus for the formal nights, as well, but I'm sure you can easily dismiss that as not "standing out above and beyond" enough for your taste.

But, honestly, it just sounds like you are a curmudgeon about formal nights, so you'd find an excuse why they weren't good enough, no matter what they did.

I think they're fine as is. Some people like to dress up; some people don't. No big deal.

Edited by Paul65

Interesting. Midnight buffet seems irrelevant. At least on my last cruise, the first formal night coincided with the "Captain's Welcome Aboard Reception" which included champagne, so that's sounds like one of your items that you think is missing. They do reserve certain "special" menus for the formal nights, as well, but I'm sure you can easily dismiss that as not "standing out above and beyond" enough for your taste.

But, honestly, it just sounds like you are a curmudgeon about formal nights, so you'd find an excuse why they weren't good enough, no matter what they did.

I think they're fine as is. Some people like to dress up; some people don't. No big deal.

Why did you ask for my opinion at all then?

I think they are a total farce "as is" for photo sales. When I suggest upgrades you say they aren't important. You don't care at all. You just like to be a contrarian.

Edited by LMaxwell

I was curious. But your (imo) overly dramatic stuff, such as them making it "a shadow of it's form being," sounded curmudgeonly. But I appreciate the answer. And we've drifted off topic, anyway, since this thread was not about formal, but rather about whether gym shorts were okay for dinner attire.

I was curious. But your (imo) overly dramatic stuff, such as them making it "a shadow of it's form being," sounded curmudgeonly. But I appreciate the answer. And we've drifted off topic, anyway, since this thread was not about formal, but rather about whether gym shorts were okay for dinner attire.

You weren't curious. You were looking for an angle to be argumentative and dismissive of other peoples opinions.

I think they are a total farce "as is" for photo sales. When I suggest upgrades you say they aren't important. You don't care at all. You just like to be a contrarian.

I didn't say anything about not important. I guess I did say that midnight buffet was irrelevant, but that's just because, even when they had them, I never thought of it as being tied to the formal dinner. It's just that much of what you asked for is already there (like upgraded menus or a Captain's champagne reception), but not good enough for you. That's fine, of course. I'm not saying you have to like the formal nights. And who knows, maybe I'm wrong about you being a curmudgeon, just like you're wrong about me just wanting to be a contrarian. :cool:

You weren't curious. You were looking for an angle to be argumentative and dismissive of other peoples opinions.

Wow! You must be right! I thought I was disagreeing with you, but obviously, I was just looking for an angle to be argumentative. Thank you so much! Your amateur psychoanalysis to avoid the horror of knowing that someone actually disagrees with you has really opened my eyes. Phew!

:D

Wow! You must be right! I thought I was disagreeing with you, but obviously, I was just looking for an angle to be argumentative. Thank you so much! Your amateur psychoanalysis to avoid the horror of knowing that someone actually disagrees with you has really opened my eyes. Phew!

:D

You've got to limit the caffeine intake to the morning.

You've got to limit the caffeine intake to the morning.

Actually, I don't do caffeine at all; just having a laugh at your psychobabble.

Who knows, maybe I'll bump into you some time on a formal night. If so, I'll be happy to have a champagne toast with you at the Captain's reception, before going in for a nice meal. I don't think the Captain will be making any speeches during dinner, which I am happy about, but you may be disappointed. And after we've posed for a nice picture, maybe my wife an I will run into you after dinner, as we dance the night away in all our finery. It won't matter to me if you're dressed up or not. :)

This reminds me of a story of a young kid looking for a job, wearing less than appropriate clothes. The kid politely asked if they were hiring and he was handed an application. After filling it out, and handing it back, the manager took it, and tossed it in the garbage. The kid was bold enough to ask why, and the manager told him we just had your interview, and your clothes spoke for you. Come back again when you are ready.

At age 12, they are old enough to dress respectfully for any occasion, and gym clothes are not proper dress.

Hi loricfam....

This is just my experience from cruising with kids starting a bit younger than yours who are now adults. We cruised to give our kids some life experiences. Different countries, experiencing different cultures and customs. Part of that was experiencing "formal" dining. They learned what fork to use when , patience, how to be polite, etc. We required them to follow the dress code. It was a lot of extra clothes ( we have four adult kids now and three little guys) and occasional grumpiness... But what it really was was a lot of fun and some amazing memories made. I must say looking back, it was SO worth it. They all are comfortable in formal settings and I really do think it was due to their cruising experience. You are probably paying a good deal of money for your vacation... Might as we'll get the most out of it that you can :) yes he can probably get away with shorts... And will still learn what fork to use when but when we as parents are presented with the perfect learning opportunities sometimes embracing them for all they are is so rewarding. Hope you have a great cruise no matter who is wearing what :)

Just my two cents as a mom of young cruisers who are now adult cruisers :)

RCI is talking out of both sides of their mouth on their webside.

From the "What to Pack" section of "Know Before You Go"

"Dinner attire...

The number of smart casual and formal nights is at the ship's discretion.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women "

And from the FAQ's Section:

"Life Onboard FAQ's

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

A:

Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)"

========================================================================

So, depending where on their massive, redundant and repetitive website you happen to be looking, dress is either subjected to a "Code" or "Suggested Guidelines".

No dressing up for me. Sorry. I'm going to ignore the "Suggested Guidelines".

Edited by Cruise Cynic