Choosing between the Island, Coral, and Star - Please help!

kingsgirl

Thanks Cape Cod Flyer. I've been getting a little concerned for our bucket list Alaska cruise but like you we've not travelled on either coral or island before so I won't notice the difference. The cruise is pretty much booked out five months in advance.

So all of you Island haters... let me come to her defense. We recently sailed on her in December for the Westbound Panama Canal transit, after her so-called "mutilation". Having never sailed her before, I never noticed any shortcomings. A walk-around the deck is still possible; the Promenade needs an interior cross-ship passage to complete (doors are often left propped open), and it's possible to walk around the the Sun deck if one doesn't mind doing stairs aft at the Sports deck (after all, what's the purpose of exercise anyway?). The crew was great. Our cabin steward was outstanding. We had forward viewing areas on the Baja deck. The shows were excellent and the Princess Theater has an LED wall which allows for fantastic backgrounds during shows. Sabatini's was intimate, excellent with wonderful staff. Captain Singer stopped by our table to chat during our dinner. The Maitre D' on this ship is the best in the fleet. The dining room staff staged a special birthday party for someone in our group of 10 with shrimp tempura appetizers (not on the menu), complimentary champagne, a full birthday cake and a solo serenade by a member of the waitstaff. Waiters remembered and greeted us by name during our journey.

Oh, and here is a picture of her "mutilation". She may present a different profile, but I wouldn't call her ugly. Despite the addition of staterooms, she was hardly crowded.

Don't be a sailing "snob" and give her a try. I doubt you'll be disappointed unless you're looking specifically for disappointment, in which case, you'll be sure to find it no matter which ship you choose.:rolleyes:

Couldn't have said this better myself. I sailed on the Island Princess in November for a partial transit of the Panama Canal. The food, entertainment, and crew were all wonderful. I was not too impressed with the performances in the theater, but I spent all my evenings listening to the very talented piano bar entertainer in the Crooners Bar. It was my first Princess cruise, and it was my favorite cruise experience so far. I've seen many negative comments about the Island Princess, but I would recommend the ship.

Edited by thecruiselover7

So all of you Island haters... let me come to her defense. We recently sailed on her in December for the Westbound Panama Canal transit, after her so-called "mutilation". Having never sailed her before, I never noticed any shortcomings. A walk-around the deck is still possible; the Promenade needs an interior cross-ship passage to complete (doors are often left propped open), and it's possible to walk around the the Sun deck if one doesn't mind doing stairs aft at the Sports deck (after all, what's the purpose of exercise anyway?). The crew was great. Our cabin steward was outstanding. We had forward viewing areas on the Baja deck. The shows were excellent and the Princess Theater has an LED wall which allows for fantastic backgrounds during shows. Sabatini's was intimate, excellent with wonderful staff. Captain Singer stopped by our table to chat during our dinner. The Maitre D' on this ship is the best in the fleet. The dining room staff staged a special birthday party for someone in our group of 10 with shrimp tempura appetizers (not on the menu), complimentary champagne, a full birthday cake and a solo serenade by a member of the waitstaff. Waiters remembered and greeted us by name during our journey.

Oh, and here is a picture of her "mutilation". She may present a different profile, but I wouldn't call her ugly. Despite the addition of staterooms, she was hardly crowded.

Don't be a sailing "snob" and give her a try. I doubt you'll be disappointed unless you're looking specifically for disappointment, in which case, you'll be sure to find it no matter which ship you choose.:rolleyes:

I add my thanks too. We had a PC cruise on the bucket list, DH decided to surprise me by putting a deposit on it for our upcoming 30th. I didn't start "binge reading" again on CC till then...and I've been distressed reading all the negative. So big, big, THANKS. I knew I'd be happy just to be on a ship, but you've made it much easier! :D

That's great :)

I chose the Coral for our cruise as well. I wanted nothing to do with the Island after hearing all the negatives after her dry dock, and I've already sailed on the Star. Plus, the Coral has the great forward and aft viewing decks, perfect for Glaicer Bay.

When will you be going?

We leave Aug.9. Land 4 days precruise. 3 days in Seattle post.