NCL EPIC Liverno to Florence in March

ellieocb

Hi, we are trying to decide on an easy economical way of getting to Florence without all the hassle of 2 buses and trains ,taxis etc .Can anyone advise us on tour companies that don't charge the earth and will give us a few hours by ourselves to wander around? Thanks in advance .

I am afraid you are looking for something that does not exist: a hassle free and cheap ride to Firenze. The whole local economy is set up in order to bring you to Firenze at a premium. There are private coach shuttles from city center to Firenze, but far from cheap and it sometimes it is hard to get a ticket. Let alone the fact you have to be back in time, being dependent on the shuttle boss. My advice is either to accept the costs and take a NCL or a private tour or take the NCL bus to the train station (this option was in place last year) and overthere buy a return ticket Firenze. You can do this easily via vending machines using a regular bank card (make sure it it set for Europe) skipping sometimes long lines at the tickets booths. Or buy a ticket online. Train takes around 1.20h if you plan well. See the treinitalia website that also is in English. Return tickets are 18 euro. Kids go free. Do not forget to validate your ticket before you get on the train (look for validation apparatus). Really easy and not much longer than taking an expensive tour. And a nice travel experience compared to the tours. At Firenze station it is self explanatory. Be back in time, of course, so plan ahead. Disruptions causing people being back late are scarce, but do not take the last travel option back in order to stay safe.

Edited by Aladdin1968

We were on cruise in August that stopped in Livorno, outside the tourist information office a tour company was offering coach to Florence for more than half price of the cruise ships cost although I can't remember the price I do remember it was really good value. The shuttle bus dropped us right by the tourist information office.

We used this company on Jan.19 for trans. to Florence in a minivan for 60 Euros PP. I had bought tkts. on line for Accademia and Uffizi and were able to find our way around. Had a very good driver and made a quick stop in Pisa on the way back to the ship. steve

Hi, we are trying to decide on an easy economical way of getting to Florence without all the hassle of 2 buses and trains ,taxis etc .Can anyone advise us on tour companies that don't charge the earth and will give us a few hours by ourselves to wander around? Thanks in advance .

When we were in Livorno on the the NCL Jade, they offered a shuttle bus direct to the train station for $12 round trip. This made taking the train to Florence much quicker and easier. No need to worry about taxi or public buses to get to the train station in Livorno. We have been to Livorno 4 or 5 times on other cruise lines and NCL was the only one to offer the shuttle to the train station. Not sure if the Epic will have it but if they do, it is best way to go.

When we were in Livorno on the the NCL Jade, they offered a shuttle bus direct to the train station for $12 round trip. This made taking the train to Florence much quicker and easier. No need to worry about taxi or public buses to get to the train station in Livorno. We have been to Livorno 4 or 5 times on other cruise lines and NCL was the only one to offer the shuttle to the train station. Not sure if the Epic will have it but if they do, it is best way to go.

NCL Epic offers this although the price has risen to $15 return. We used it on our 13th January sailing. It drops you at the parking lot behind the station (at the end of the underpass used to get between platforms).

There's also an alternative local shuttle offered to Livorno center for €5 return (paid direct on the pier) This is far less convenient for the train station but would be good if you wanted to use the TuscanyBUS option: http://livornonow.com/direct_bus_service_from_livorno_to_pisa_and_florence

I have been working with Tuscany Bus in order to privately arrange transportation for a roll call group to and from Florence with a stop in Pisa. They have been excellent to deal with. So if you are interested in customizing your day and there is enough interest on your roll call this is an option you could consider. Otherwise, based on my dealings with them and their professionalism I would not hesitate booking a seat on one of their arranged shared rides.

Have a fabulous cruise.

Rochelle

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you Rochelle_s , I booked Tuscany Bus for €30 each and they have great reviews online , they also do a direct bus to Rome return for €17 , we are looking into this as we want to wander around rather than being herded around like sheep 😁

Thank you Rochelle_s , I booked Tuscany Bus for €30 each and they have great reviews online , they also do a direct bus to Rome return for €17 , we are looking into this as we want to wander around rather than being herded around like sheep 😁

I am glad that worked out for you.

The Rome bus price is a good deal to. We will DIY it using the train just because it gives us the opportunity to spend more time there. Have you been to Rome before? I have been several times but my aunt and her friend who will be with us have never been so I am planning our 'wander' around using a couple of different sites. In case you are interested in help with planning your day you can check them out at;

Route You

[/url]and;

Rome Toolkit

Hope you have a great time on your cruise!

Rochelle

Hi Rochelle, I was looking at going by train to Rome but the fact that it is holy thursday and the last time we cruised from Rome there was a train strike kind of worries me.What is the earliest time you could get a train in the morning do you think? I have tried googling the train schedule but it isn't being helpful today 😄

Hi Rochelle, I was looking at going by train to Rome but the fact that it is holy thursday and the last time we cruised from Rome there was a train strike kind of worries me.What is the earliest time you could get a train in the morning do you think? I have tried googling the train schedule but it isn't being helpful today 😄

How unfortunate that there was actually a strike the day you were there. Fingers crossed that does not happen again.

Here is a link to the railway site in English;

Trenitalia

The best price is for a BIRG ticket at 10€ per person. This will give you a return ticket on a regional train plus you will have unlimited use of the metro, trams and buses while in Rome. You can buy these in the train station in Civitavecchia or in the store next door.

I only looked at trains that you could access with this ticket, although there are more expensive fast trains if you wanted to go that route. I do not believe they include Rome transportation, nor do they stop at the smaller stations. Here is what I found for the regional trains;

For Holy Thursday, the first train is at 5 am. There are four trains in that first hour and then pretty much 2 trains per hour after that. So you should not have much of a wait whatever time you arrive.

On the return I looked at times after 2 pm. With two trains in the 2 o'clock hour and then after that there is 3 per hour.

When looking at the schedules on line you need to use 'Civitavecchia' and 'Roma Termini' as your stations. I tried to use some other stops but the website kept telling me they were invalid.

Depending on what you want to see and do in Rome can play a factor in where you get off the train. If you plan on seeing the Vatican then you should get off the train at the San Pietro stop. This saves you at least 20 minutes on the journey in and is a great starting location for a wander through Rome, making your way through the city and towards the Termini station for your return train ride back to the ship.

If you wish to start your day closer to Piazza Navona or the Pantheon then you would get off at the Trastavere stop.

Or you could of course, go all the way to the Termini station and start from there.

Not sure when the last time you were at the Port of Civitavecchia but it has changed. There is still a shuttle from the ship that will take you out of the port area but the drop off point has changed and is now further away from the train station. You can still walk there but it is farther distance. Or there is now a bus that will take you from the shuttle drop off to the train station for 2€ per person each way. Another option is you could get a taxi from the shuttle drop off to the train station as well.

**helpful tips**

Be sure to leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship. Never leave it to the last available train. Also give yourself plenty of time at the Termini train station as well. The tracks for the trains back to Civitavecchia are the very farthest away. They are to the far right and then all the way down alongside the closer tracks. Important for anyone with mobility issues.

Always be sure to validate your ticket in the yellow machines every time you use a mode of transportation.

As always in big cities be careful of your belongings, especially so in really busy places like the Termini.

I hope this helps and enjoy your day in Rome. While you are making your way around that ancient city I will be on day 1 of my wander around Barcelona. :)

Have a wonderful cruise.

Rochelle