Winward Islands Royal Clipper - question about cabins

anitac

Hello

The husband and I are looking to book the Royal Clipper cruise (Winward Islands) in Feb 2017. This will be our first cruise (ever!) so we are total newbies to the whole cruising thing but looks like it will be a brilliant experience.

We are looking at the Cat. 1 v Cat. 2 cabins but I think we are veering toward the category 2 cabins ... but we are unsure which specific category 2 cabin on the Clipper deck would suit best.

I'm uncertain if either of us is going to be affected by motion sickness and have been told that mid-deck is best. We'd rather be away from main walkways / 'heavy traffic' areas so which cat 2 cabin is the better one to select on this deck?? Looking at the deck plan, am thinking cabins 258, 245, 260 or 247 may be the better selections on this deck - but not sure.

I don't imagine we'd be spending much time in the cabin but nevertheless would like to make a good selection.

Also I wonder if our concern about the category 1 cabins lacking privacy out the cabin's window is misplaced (which is primarily why we're no longer considering the category 1 cabins).

Appreciate any advice on specific category selection.

Thanks so much

Anita :)

I believe "Category 1" is just 315 and 316 at the stern. I don't think they had much in the way of windows, but would have curtains and are a bit lower than the open stern deck for privacy. Personally, I wouldn't use these.

But, if you are willing to spend the money, I would go for the Deluxe suites 301-314. They have large windows and your own balcony that is quite private. We've been in these twice now. I would avoid 313-314 as they open on to the deck, have kind of an odd shape, and for some reason used physical keys instead of a card.

Categories 2-4 are all somewhat similar with just a porthole for a window, with Category 2 slightly larger.

I guess a cabin in the middle would have less up and down movement but the ship can also roll from side to side, and it wouldn't really matter that much where you were for that.

There are lots of pictures of Royal Clipper at this link that was posted elsewhere.

Attached picture is from stern of RC looking forward. Behind the stacked deckchairs you can just see the tops of the doors for the 2 "Category 1" staterooms. Other picture is interior of one of these. There would be a fair bit of traffic from people walking by this window.

That is why I think the Deluxe Cabins are better as they have their own balconies and no one is walking by them.

635876832025398158-030-royalclipperfantail.jpg.d130445aa281d639754e2ba4545a1bac.jpg

635876858336838820-069-royalclippersuite316.jpg.25e88081429e243f24c508b9ca987b8f.jpg

Thanks so much for these replies and the links - very helpful!! Yes, the delux suites look wonderful but sadly , is beyond our budget :( , so will go with thd cat. 2 in that suggested range midship. Hopefully, issues with rolling ships won't matter to us at all . once again, thank you :)

I believe "Category 1" is just 315 and 316 at the stern. I don't think they had much in the way of windows, but would have curtains and are a bit lower than the open stern deck for privacy. Personally, I wouldn't use these.

But, if you are willing to spend the money, I would go for the Deluxe suites 301-314. They have large windows and your own balcony that is quite private. We've been in these twice now. I would avoid 313-314 as they open on to the deck, have kind of an odd shape, and for some reason used physical keys instead of a card.

Categories 2-4 are all somewhat similar with just a porthole for a window, with Category 2 slightly larger.

I guess a cabin in the middle would have less up and down movement but the ship can also roll from side to side, and it wouldn't really matter that much where you were for that.

We booked 312 for our Christmas Caribbean cruise. It appears that there may be a launch overhead? While that could provide shade, it may also be very noisy in port? We wanted to be close to the center of the ship but avoided 313 and 314 because it had an odd shape on the deckplan. Do you know if 312 is okay?

We booked 312 for our Christmas Caribbean cruise. It appears that there may be a launch overhead? While that could provide shade, it may also be very noisy in port?

Yes, there may be a launch overhead but I don't think will really bother you. It can be a bit noisy when they are raising or lowering them, but it is only for a few minutes and you would hear them from anywhere on that side.