question about choosing an agent???

Hello-Kitty

i am booking the Star for march 5th 2006 and i am using a agent i never used. I am a little leary, i know we are not supposed to post agents but does anyone know how i can find out if this particular agent is okay???? I did find the website threw cruise critic so i felt safe in that way but just want to make sure.

Thanks

i am booking the Star for march 5th 2006 and i am using a agent i never used. I am a little leary, i know we are not supposed to post agents but does anyone know how i can find out if this particular agent is okay???? I did find the website threw cruise critic so i felt safe in that way but just want to make sure.

Thanks

I want to believe that the agencies that advertise on Cruise Critic are good ones...meaning they do things legally and you shouldn't have to worry about getting ripped off. I know there's probably no guarantee about that but I wanna believe it anyway.

Another way to check out agents is to go to the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) website where you can find an agent closeby by entering your zip code. You may want to meet face to face and that's one way to find someone who at least belongs to that organization.

You can also get that information with your zip code at most cruise line websites.

Still, I think the best way is the recommendation of a friend. A friend that you know like in your home town. Be careful of online recommendations no matter what form they take...you never really know who that is recommending something.

I remember the first cruise we booked. It was with an online agent and I was so apprehensive about it I called the cruise line to get some information and they wouldn't tell me anything. At that point I almost freaked out thinking I'd given my money to some rip-off outfit. Finally I asked "Have you ever heard of these people? Can you tell me THAT???" To which they replied yes, we do a lot of business with them. I felt better but didn't really feel like it was real until I had the cruise documents in my hands

There's a thing called the "doc dance" that you'll read about here and, for me, that's where it started.

I was so happy to have something tangible in my hands that said I was really going on a cruise!

Maybe you drive by a local travel agency on your way to work or the grocery store. Stop in and meet them.

The main thing that I think is important is to try to build a long-tem relationship with SOME agent. Be right up front with them. Let them know what you want in a cruise, how much you want to pay, etc. If you don't know that they should be able to help you find that out. If they can't then you're in the wrong place.

ALWAYS though, come here if you have any questions. You'll find the members of the Cruise Critic board very knowledgeable. I recently sailed on Royal Caribbean for the first time and the members of that board, like the members of this board when I sailed Princess for the first time, had some great advice.

Archived