Seasick on Carnival?

E&B

I am very prone to motion sickness as is my daughter. I have only gotten seasick to the point of vomitting one night in 6 cruises (all Carnival on varying sized ships). We were attempting to outrun a hurricane that evening. The ship was listing to the point that things flew off the desk in our stateroom. Every passenger was struggling to walk in a straight line. The DJ in the nightclub jokingly asked "all of the gentleman to please catch the ladies as they flew by". Passengers & crew alike were sick all over. That was an extreme example due to very rough seas.

4 other cruises I've felt nothing. My most recent cruise, my daughter & I had moments where we didn't feel the best, but it passed quickly & no meds were needed. As others mentioned, this season has been rough with storms & there was indeed one nearby. Either way, it was very minor.

There is an old sailor trick about staring at the horizon or maybe not to, can't remember totally. Might have been that Dramamine in the 60s. But someone will jump and and explain that trick.

I believe the trick is to stare at the horizon. It supposedly helps equilibrium. Ive heard it as well & repeated it to my daughter a couple of weeks ago. Ive used the trick myself. I can't say if it's in my head or not that it's helped.

Edited by Drose716
Posted too soon

Carnival has more cruise ships so it is safe to say the percentages are higher for people reporting anything bad on this site. We have sailed other cruise lines and Carnival and at different times of the year and Never gotten sick, I do come prepared but never used anything.

yet I still love my Carnival cruises. Tips:

choose the largest ship you can find;

pick a middle cabin on the lowest deck possible;

use Bonine (or the cheaper Target-brand equivalent);

Rx patch didn't work for me so it might not be magic for you, either;

the Gulf of Mexico is a big, big body of water and can get rough;

if the waves get to 14' and the crew replaces the credit card brochures with Seasickness bags, lots of people will be getting sick....

only happened on one cruise since crossing the Atlantic in the late 1960s. Looking forward to my next cruise,

Edited by Out of Iowa
added one more point!