Cigarette Lighters -collection - security at airport

This is probably a very silly question --- but I collect cigarette lighers from the different ports and places that I have traveled to ---- however I now have bit of problem --- I understand that it is not being allowed to carry lighters on board or even place them in your luggage --- I hope that this does not mean that it is the end of my very unusual collection -- I really do have some very beautifull lighters --- I do not think that they would ever be allowed in the US Mail --- is ther a solution --- if there is I am sure that my fellow cruisers will have the answer

We flew from New Orleans to Miami and back in April, 05. I forgot that I had a lighter in my purse and it went through. I am a smoker so I had also packed matches in every bag (both checked in and carried on). On my return trip I carried the lighter in my purse and everything went fine.

It is also illegal to put them in checked luggage. If they are found in there, they will be removed. It has to do with a safety issue but I don't recall exactly how they phrased it. Matches are approved for carry-on as long as they are the covered book kind.

What are the chances they will be removed from checked luggage? From what I gather reading the boards, slim to none. Is it a chance I would take.. No.

I believe you can find information on your airlines website.

It depends on how thorough the examiners are. They are supposededly not allowed either as checked baggage or in hand baggage. We just had four confiscated in Istanbul from hand carried but the checked ones went through fine.

Howdy, folks!

Here is info from a search on the Continental Airlines website http://www.continental.com/travel/policies/baggage/dangerous.asp?SID=D86AA91E384744A8A955363164FDD2C1

Dangerous Goodss.gifs.gif

Federal law prohibits hazardous materials from being included in either checked or carry-on baggage. Items such as explosives, compressed gases, oxidizers, corrosives, flammable liquids and solids, loaded firearms, radioactive materials and poisons are considered hazardous.

Some common examples of prohibited items include, paints, mace/tear gas, lighter fluid, oxygen bottles and fireworks.

Other common items which, in limited quantities, may be carried within baggage include hairspray, perfume, and certain medicines which are necessary for customer use during their journey.

Lighters Added As Prohibited Items

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) prohibits the carriage of all lighters past the security checkpoints at airports. Please be aware that any type of lighter on your person or in accessible carry on luggage is subject to confiscation during security screening. Currently, passengers may carry up to four books of strike-on-cover matches on their person or in carry on luggage. Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage, but lighters with fuel are prohibited.

For a complete list of Prohibited Items, please visit the Transportation Security Administration Web site.

Happy trails y'all,

Kat 50.gif

Thanks for all of you responses --- For sure it is only another Smoker can sympathize with me --- although it is true that I do collect Lighers ---I am rather nervous about trying to either carry on a lighter - or put a lighter in my luggate - I guess it is good bye to my collections --- it does make me a bit sad because I have really gotten some great lighters and the best part is the memories carry with them from the ports that we have visited --- but I sincerely thank you for all of your help --- perhaps I will venture to call the airport and make a last minute check ---- we will be flying from Fort Lauderdale to Boston ----

I had a lighter confiscated from my purse while flying this past July. I'm not a smoker, but I had a lighter in my purse from haiving done fireworks during the 4th of July celebrations we had been at. Then I went to the airport on July 7th having forgotten the lighter was still tucked in my purse. Delayed us a bit, as they really examined everything else the 4 of us were carrying onboard, plus they were very leery of me, taking me aside and asking me about my travel. I don't fit any profiling, being a middle aged mom traveling with 3 kids ages 8 through 14, one of which travels in a wheelchair due to physical disability! In my opinion, it wouldn't be worth the hassle to try and sneak one on aircraft. Don't know about whether you would get away with it in checked luggage.

" Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage, but lighters with fuel are prohibited."

Looks as if lighters without fuel are permitted. You probably only want them for what's written on them anyway. If there is a problem can't you just remove the insides of it?

What about bringing some packing envelopes with you and mailing them to your home after purchasing the lighters.

Maybe ports have post offices that are in the shopping areas, and then the envelopes will have the postmarks from the places you visited also, or you could mail them from the ship. I think the ship will have the stamps you'd need and mail it for you.

I know I've purchased stamps onboard to mail postcards, and they were mailed by the staff on the ship.

Archived