Same old, same old...

DT1304

Have you folks done Alaska yet- that is really very special and different.

Yes, we have done Alaska. We all loved it. We spent a few days before in LA and then a few days before in Vancouver.

I was told it is not really a good cruise for kids, but we did a Northbound cruise, and my kids absolutely loved it. I selected all the right excursions that I knew my kids would love.

I definitely plan on another Alaska cruise. When I do, I will plan for a few extra days in Alaska on land.

Living in Oz we are pretty limited with destinations to cruise to without first having to fly overseas. It's either the Pacific Islands, NZ, Aus circumnavigation or fly across to WA and head to Asia. Because of this it can get a bit same same.

My husband and I love cruising but we tend to alternate between a land holiday and a cruise holiday each year, just so we can see a bit more of the world.

As much as I love relaxing on a beach and snorkelling in the Pacific its a big wide world out there to explore.

Having said that we are off to the Pacific for the 3rd time this Christmas/NY but that is with family so the motivation is a bit different, its also our first cruise with our little baby so the familiarity of the Pacific islands will help.

Because of the limited location choices from Australia I think you need to think about your motivation for cruising before deciding if a cruise or land holiday is best. There are certainly times when my idea of a perfect holiday is 12 nights on a boat in the sunshine without a worry in the world and thats when a repeat trip to the islands is fine. There are other times when I want to go exploring a new country in depth and thats the time for a land based holiday.

Cruising is also an 'easy' holiday to plan, land based takes a lot more effort - flights, hotels, tours, day trips, where to eat, transport, etc.

At the end of the day it comes down to what you want from your holiday, and lets face it, any holiday is a good holiday. Enjoy!

My family booked a cruise several years ago from Australia and then around New Zealand. Once we started researching it, we agreed we could not do the land activities we wanted to do on South Island if we were on the cruise. We had already booked our flights into Sydney and out of Auckland. So we reevaluated and booked a couple more flights and changed it into a land vacation. And it was additionally a tough decision because we are friends with the captain of the HA cruise we would have been on.

My point in all this I guess if to say if someone can say "this is really fun and I want to do this, and on a cruise we don't have the time to do this" then that should be a consideration. It's not cruise vs land. It's the time we have to experience what we want to. I love cruising for sure, but land vacations certainly provide you more time in places that aren't often in. Caribbean is cruising for us. New Zealand, Africa, we need more land time. Compromise is the key.

Sounds like you're looking for words of wisdom that would change your wife's mind.

Here's some wisdom for you: "If Momma ain't happy, no one is happy." You will regret not honoring her wishes.

Words from a wise man. I hope we get to cruise together someday.

I am posting this in the RCCL forum as this is our favourite line. It is not really a cruising question as such but I am interested in your opinions....

We have done a few cruises on RCCL (and one on another line that I will rather stay away from in future) and loved all our cruises.

We have done South Pacific over New Years, Alaska, another South Pacific mid year, and most recently Christmas and New Years cruise to the North Island of NZ and South Pacific.

I did not mind going back to the South Pacific as only one port was the same as where we had been before.

Now that the back story is over, I am looking to book another cruise to New Zealand (all different ports except 1) however my wife is keen on a land holiday somewhere else.

She has said that while each cruise was fantastic, it is the same experience repeated, and she wants to go somewhere different for our next holiday.

I am just curious what the thoughts of fellow cruisers are, especially those that have done many cruises, regarding the same experience over and over again.

We love cruising, but we, also love doing land vacations. We try to mix it up. We do everything from camping trips, to staying at National park lodges, to going to Paris, to driving all over Europe doing a European Car delivery to a road trip in a convertible, and on and on.

I only cruise RCI because they are the only cruise line that has a flow rider, that said, the last two years we have done two river cruises in Europe, with about a week beyond the cruise on our own, driving the countryside staying in hotels or B&Bs.

This year, we are doing a trip to England for 8 nights, then a cruise to Norway. Then in late summer a trip to NYC for 5 nights then a cruise to Canada. All with Flowriders. I will go to Canada for Walleye fishing in June... So we mix it up, but ocean cruises are a bargain for what is offered on ship. River cruises are pricey, but everything is pretty much included. So, more tours, etc. Lots of wine. The last river cruise was a wine appreciation cruise, pretty awesome from a food and beverage point of view.

Jc

Since your wife is wanting a land holiday, have the two of you done any land travel in New Zealand, especially the NZ/South Island?

If you have covered New Zealand, then I'm with you, cruise around New Zealand.

We always have land travel along with our cruise travel, but we are very fortunate to have the time to do that.

For me, New Zealand is my most beautiful place. :)

Agree, New Zealand is the best place I have ever visited. We have done it twice.

Jc